April 2020 incentives?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know that other than the $7500 federal tax credit, all of my rebates were state- and power-company specific (although I was bale to buy the car in the next state, the dealer participated in the program).

I'm thinking Nissan got rid of the Fleetail (electric company) rebates. I think that's why my regional rebate is $3500 for a 2019 and $3000 for a 2020. I think in some regions, there is an additional $2000 customer cash. Anyone in a region that has a Fleetail rebate for April?

The deals on the Plus models in my area are tempting. I've been talking to a local dealership about trading in my 2019 Leaf SV (with All-Weather Package) for a 2019 Leaf SV Plus (with All-Weather Package). This is where the deal stands right now:

Sale price: $36,748
Dealer fees: $1,690 (I know)
Trade-in: $17,500 (KBB value says $20,100 for 'very good condition')
Sales tax: (($36,748 + $1,690 - $17,500) x.08875) = $1,858.25
Doc/DMV fees: $362.50
Subtotal: $40,658.75
Cash Back for 2019 Leaf purchase: $5,000
Leaf Loyalty Cash Back: $1,000
New York State Drive Clean Rebate: $2,000
Total Cost Before Federal Tax Credit: $40,658.75 - $8,000 = $32,658.75
Total Cost After Federal Tax Credit: $32,658.75 - $7,500 = $25,158.75

Does this sound like a good deal? I bought my SV almost a year ago for about $21,700 after factoring in the federal tax credit. The dealer is offering me about $2500 less than the KBB trade-in value for my current Leaf SV, but this is offset by the fact that the trade-in value reduces the total sales taxable amount and therefore the amount of sales tax. Because of this, if I were to do the work of trading my car into Carmax or some place like that for the actual trade-in value, I would only save about $500 net because I'd be paying significantly more sales tax at 8.875% if I buy a new car with no trade-in.

Most importantly, if I trade in my 2019 Leaf SV, will I have to give back the federal tax credit that I received for purchasing it last year? I can't find anything on the internet saying that I would have to pay it back, but if I did, then that would effectively make this current deal $7500 more expensive.

Kieran973 said:
The deals on the Plus models in my area are tempting. I've been talking to a local dealership about trading in my 2019 Leaf SV (with All-Weather Package) for a 2019 Leaf SV Plus (with All-Weather Package). This is where the deal stands right now:

Sale price: $36,748
Dealer fees: $1,690 (I know)
Trade-in: $17,500 (KBB value says $20,100 for 'very good condition')
Sales tax: (($36,748 + $1,690 - $17,500) x.08875) = $1,858.25
Doc/DMV fees: $362.50
Subtotal: $40,658.75
Cash Back for 2019 Leaf purchase: $5,000
Leaf Loyalty Cash Back: $1,000
New York State Drive Clean Rebate: $2,000
Total Cost Before Federal Tax Credit: $40,658.75 - $8,000 = $32,658.75
Total Cost After Federal Tax Credit: $32,658.75 - $7,500 = $25,158.75

Does this sound like a good deal? I bought my SV almost a year ago for about $21,700 after factoring in the federal tax credit. The dealer is offering me about $2500 less than the KBB trade-in value for my current Leaf SV, but this is offset by the fact that the trade-in value reduces the total sales taxable amount and therefore the amount of sales tax. Because of this, if I were to do the work of trading my car into Carmax or some place like that for the actual trade-in value, I would only save about $500 net because I'd be paying significantly more sales tax at 8.875% if I buy a new car with no trade-in.

Most importantly, if I trade in my 2019 Leaf SV, will I have to give back the federal tax credit that I received for purchasing it last year? I can't find anything on the internet saying that I would have to pay it back, but if I did, then that would effectively make this current deal $7500 more expensive.
No, you do not have to pay the $7500 back. You mentioned about a $2000 NY rebate, did you get a similar rebate when you bought your car? I ask because in some states, you have to own the vehicle for a set amount of time before you sell it or you may have to repay some or all of that rebate.

I would entertain offers from another dealer from the area. That dealer is definitely ripping you off on the dealer fees and trade in (may be market price because of COVID-19).

I did get the $2,000 NY rebate on my current Leaf, yes. I have seen similar language online that if you sell your car before 3 years, you "may" have to pay some of that $2,000 back, but this use of the word "may" says to me that they don't know/care what their actual policy is.

Agreed on the rip off dealer fees and trade-in value. The thing is that every single car dealership I've ever bought from has balked at the idea of paying me the actual KBB trade-in value. They have all sorts of excuses. My argument is always: what's the point of having objective standards of valuing used cars if dealers don't honor them? But what always happens is that the trade-in offer from the dealer is A.) a few grand lower than the KBB value, but importantly B.) just high enough to make it a waste of time to try selling my used car somewhere else because this would mean paying $1-2K higher sales tax on the new car purchase.

I live in Florida, so no state incentives at all. If I buy from an incentive-rich State like Colorado, would I do better? (Though there are transport costs). Is this discussed in another thread?

Are May incentives typically better than April?

NonSequitur said:
I live in Florida, so no state incentives at all. If I buy from an incentive-rich State like Colorado, would I do better? (Though there are transport costs). Is this discussed in another thread?

Are May incentives typically better than April?

If you can find incentives that apply equally to out of state buyers, transporting the car costs roughly in the $600 range.

I've started the ball rolling on "upgrading" my 2018 SL to a 2020 SV+ with Tech and Weather packages, hopefully for the same payment and very little out of pocket. The very helpful salesman who helped me lease the SL is still there, and is looking into it.

We bought a 2019 in the neighboring state but the dealer was registered with the state of Vermont an as such could recognize their incentives. I do not think that you will get the state credits unless you live in state.

I'd consider a 2019 SV+ were it not for the fact that it wouldn't have Around View. My last resort would be a 2019 SL+, but I'd be unhappy with a leather interior again.

Do you prefer the synthetic fabric seats of the Leaf? I really liked our 2013 fabric seats on our SV, but the 2019 fabric just felt cheap, which is why I put the leather in.

Now to find very light smaller rims with pizza pan covers for distance travel.

I'm a vegetarian who tries to avoid leather. If the newer fabric seats are cheaper, I'll just put the seat covers I have on them. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a seat cover that fits the power driver's seat well.

I checked a bunch of Colorado dealerships, and even one my Miami buddy bought in Minnesota, but the state discounts seem to be state-specific and when you strip them out, prices seem to be the same everywhere, including the Florida dealers.

Right now the 2019 Nissan rebate is $3500 and the 2020 is $3000. Do these numbers typically increase in May, June, etc., or are the current numbers high due to Covid? With so many people losing their jobs, it seems like there are better deals ahead, but $3k plus a dealer discount is pretty good!

NonSequitur said:
I checked a bunch of Colorado dealerships, and even one my Miami buddy bought in Minnesota, but the state discounts seem to be state-specific and when you strip them out, prices seem to be the same everywhere, including the Florida dealers.

Right now the 2019 Nissan rebate is $3500 and the 2020 is $3000. Do these numbers typically increase in May, June, etc., or are the current numbers high due to Covid? With so many people losing their jobs, it seems like there are better deals ahead, but $3k plus a dealer discount is pretty good!
I think the high rebates are mainly due to Nissan getting rid of the Fleetail rebates. In my state, it was $2500 off a Plus and $3500 off a regular. I think it's a good move for Nissan because a lot of people couldn't get the Fleetail rebates. Don't forget there is a $1000 loyalty rebate on the 2019s. I'm hoping the rebates will be higher too.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Do you prefer the synthetic fabric seats of the Leaf? I really liked our 2013 fabric seats on our SV, but the 2019 fabric just felt cheap, which is why I put the leather in.

Now to find very light smaller rims with pizza pan covers for distance travel.

I think the new fabric (which was sold as an enhancement), is actually cheap crappy nylon like materials.

I prefer cloth seats, but cloth doesn't have to be "cheap". I remember on the pickup they had a "premium cloth seat" option, and it was the well-padded non-slip more coarse fabric, without the price tag of leather. I believe the Leaf cloth is the same as the economy "S" package which is where the cheap cloth seats belong.

Another particular challenge of the leaf is the seat is not well padded; call it an small car problem; but the leather is more stiff and supports a heavier person better.

Even the leather is basically plastic. It's not soft or high end by any means.

The Leather I had put in was after market, with a style of "factory match", which basically means they kept the blue stitch-work. The quality of the Leather (we will see how it wears) I received, seems to be pretty good. I agree that the from factory Leather with the suede felt of not more than medium quality.

Has anyone bought or leased a car since the onset of this pandemic? If so, how have you navigated interactions at the dealership? I'm about the pull the trigger on upgrading from an SV to an SV Plus, and most of the back and forth has been over email, but the dealer wants me to come into to dealership for "less than one hour" this weekend so they can physically appraise my trade-in in person and so we can sign whatever paperwork that can't be e-signed. I asked if we could do this signing outside, in the parking lot, at a table or on the hood of my car, and they said that we have to be inside because of "privacy concerns." Any thoughts?

I can only speculate but throwing a guess out there if wind took those papers with personal information and blew them away they do not want to be held liable for the leak of your personal information? They also typically enter things into a computer right away so convenience is also a factor for them I would think. I do see your side wanting to cut down on potential exposure by being outside.

Most dealerships have large indoor service bays. Insist on an empty bay, with the door open, and just one other person there - one who will follow social distancing rules. Bring your own pen and some alcohol or hand sanitizer. I may be facing this myself, soon...

Kieran973 said:
Has anyone bought or leased a car since the onset of this pandemic? If so, how have you navigated interactions at the dealership? I'm about the pull the trigger on upgrading from an SV to an SV Plus, and most of the back and forth has been over email, but the dealer wants me to come into to dealership for "less than one hour" this weekend so they can physically appraise my trade-in in person and so we can sign whatever paperwork that can't be e-signed. I asked if we could do this signing outside, in the parking lot, at a table or on the hood of my car, and they said that we have to be inside because of "privacy concerns." Any thoughts?

You cannot continue to live your life with fear. If you can go to the supermarket with a mask and gloves, what is the problem with going to a large showroom and signing a few papers with the guy far away from you???

We cannot let rampant fear control our lives from now on....

So the May incentive is... same as April.
Keeps me in the fence. I feel like better deals ahead, but would like to buy love and get it over with! Have nowhere to drive though, so no rush. 2019 cars aren’t getting any newer!

Back