CHAdeMO connectors being squeezed out?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mtndrew1 said:
More CCS are coming for 2021 and 2022.

CHAdeMO is super dead in the US.

I'd be OK with that. It's one more step toward standardization. Of course Nissan would have to provide the current users to change their CHAdeMO and J1772 connector plate to simply the CCS connector. I would be more inclined to swap the connector board, than to buy an adapter cable. Besides, the CCS connector option would not affect home charging, as it also accepts J1772.

CanuckEVDriver said:
mtndrew1 said:
More CCS are coming for 2021 and 2022.

CHAdeMO is super dead in the US.

I'd be OK with that. It's one more step toward standardization. Of course Nissan would have to provide the current users to change their CHAdeMO and J1772 connector plate to simply the CCS connector. I would be more inclined to swap the connector board, than to buy an adapter cable. Besides, the CCS connector option would not affect home charging, as it also accepts J1772.

I’m under the impression that CCS and CHAdeMO use different communication methods and that, combined with Nissan barely staying afloat, makes it unlikely they’d offer any retrofit for older cars. If they did I imagine it would be quite pricey.

All,

Agreed, that short of a full Chinese offensive and Toyota in terms of car launches with the Chademo 3 standard, I don't see the tide turning back. That said, for the next 4 years or so, I suspect we will still see the 2 handled rapid chargers as being the defacto unit for most places, as there are still enough Leafs, Teslas (where fast charger is more convienent than supercharger, Outlander (especially in Europe), and a handful of other lower volume cars, that the chargers want the business from both sides until markets are more established. The 50kW chargers continue to come down in cost, and the 2 handle variant is commodity. The power hook up can be more than the unit now.

Heck even in Norway, the Leaf still is in the 3rd position every month still, just behind eGolf and eTron (plus the eNV200s and Outlanders which also sell there) that Chademo's will have growing (though increasingly slower than CCS) demands for years to come.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Interesting they went Chademo first.

https://insideevs.com/news/411676/sparkcharge-portable-ev-charger-roadside-assistance/

Simple realization that the majority of EV’s on the road are Chademo compatible including all Tesla’s and Nissan Leafs. Smart money says have both but if you have to pick one pick the one with the most potential clients.

Here's an interesting story from Forbes (December 19, 2019) that addresses this very discussion. I found it to be a good read...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradte...g-standards-can-be-easily-fixed/#1f3ee2c3f40d

It would be great if within the next couple of years, the world can standardize the connector to allow the EV industry to continue to grow. That way we don't need to search for a charging station when we go on road trips. I look forward to the day when charging stations are more ubiquitous than gas stations.

IF you get a chance, please take a peak at Bjorn's latest video on the XPeng... Its coming to Europe with Chademo ... this year.

Surprise of the day for sure. Interesting timing to the new standard release.

That would be this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTdTyx2YwHQ

Also Fully Charged; Robert interviews the vice chairman and president of Xpung, Brian Gu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT6Nc1t_whA

DougWantsALeaf said:
Maybe surrendering IP was part of Elon's master plan.

Does the Chinese version have gullwing doors, or windows that freeze shut and prevent the car doors from opening? If so, then it was a stroke of genius by Tesla.

CanuckEVDriver said:
Just noticed that a new public EV charging station is about to go live near me (Electrify Canada, Canadian Tire, Coventry Road, Ottawa).

They have 4 stations set up, with 7 CCS connectors and 1 CHAdeMo connector. (There'll be a lineup of LEAFs waiting to charge, but quite a few empty CCS spots)

Does this mean that EV charging companies have decided on which connector to go with?

I wonder if Nissan is considering changing their charging port on the LEAF? Or maybe some kind of CCS-to-CHAdeMO adapter?

The company mentioned is funded by VW dieselgate scandal so yeah, they are favoring their technology. I challenge you to find a 2nd company doing the same. I think that will be a bit tougher to do.

Smart companies cater to the widest audience they can especially when revenue is so limited. Every CCS plug sitting idle while Chademo cars queue up only erodes the EV community. I think you will find that beyond VW, there is a lot more sensibility in the community. Also a lot less money unfortunately but as the folly of oil becomes clearer, that is soon to change as well.

DaveinOlyWA said:
The company mentioned is funded by VW dieselgate scandal so yeah, they are favoring their technology. I challenge you to find a 2nd company doing the same. I think that will be a bit tougher to do.

Tesla.

WetEV said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Tesla.

Oh you got me only because I meant to say "public charging company" which was implied but not stated.

Received a Tesla Tap (Tesla - J1772 adapter) for my Birthday this year. (And a matchbox Leaf).

Plan to keep it handy just to provide additional options during longer drives. I have sweat it a couple of times when I was depended on a single j1772 for a L2 charge, but would had more choices if I could use the T destination chargers.

We need an aftermarket onboard charger upgrade to let the pack take 48 amps now.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Received a Tesla Tap (Tesla - J1772 adapter) for my Birthday this year. (And a matchbox Leaf).

Plan to keep it handy just to provide additional options during longer drives. I have sweat it a couple of times when I was depended on a single j1772 for a L2 charge, but would had more choices if I could use the T destination chargers.

We need an aftermarket onboard charger upgrade to let the pack take 48 amps now.

Ours was Super handy (we just sold it). It opened up our travel circle somewhat as there are (or were) more Tesla destination chargers than J1772 around here. Especially wineries and restaurants.

Nissan is on life support and CHAdeMo is not far behind almost everywhere but Japan, so unlikely is probably being overly optimistic...

mtndrew1 said:
I’m under the impression that CCS and CHAdeMO use different communication methods and that, combined with Nissan barely staying afloat, makes it unlikely they’d offer any retrofit for older cars.

Back