Leaf SV Wheel Aero Inserts

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can attest that using a gill block on the pre-2018 Leafs does improve winter efficiency.

1. possible slight aero improvement.
2. Less cold air across the battery
3. Less natural cold air into passenger compartment
4. Less cold air across heat exchanger/element, making heating more efficient.

I haven't tried blocking the small grill on my 2019 yet.

powersurge said:
LeftieBiker said:
Times change. The original reason for those "gaps" was to help cool hot brake drums and rotors on heavy muscle cars. EVs tend to use the brakes less, keeping them cooler, so it may make sense to sacrifice some cooling for some added range. Please don't attack people just for the sake of attacking. At least use a more neutral tone.

Ok, is will be neutral. I apologize for putting down these products. What I was referring to is that fads make pendulum-like changes over the years. As an old guy I have seen many fads come and go... and am tired of crazy new products which will only just put $$$ in the seller's pocket. Think of how cool computers went from big to small to big, and then to small again.

I just want to discourage others that may be susceptible to current hype because everyone today want to sell you something that is better, faster, cheaper, and most is really snake oil... SO..

If you want to buy these inserts because you are ok spending some bling $$$ to "customize" or "accessorize" your car, then go for it. People have always wanted to buy toys for their cars...

BUT, In my opinion, do not buy these things because you think is will do anything to improve performance or mileage range.

these inserts will never pay for themselves unless you already have a 3d printer and print them out essentially for free or a buddy does it for you. the gains are in the low single digit % realm, better for the 16" wheels as the holes are bigger there to fill, smaller for the 17" wheels as they are already fairly aerodynamic.

but most of us do these mods because we like to see the gains and we like to tinker, not because we are following fully financially backed decisions. I would not modify cars at all if i wanted to be financially responsible lol.

alozzy said:
These fit the 17" wheels:

https://pinshape.com/items/60720-3d-printed-nissan-leaf-aero-plates-17x65-alloy-split-spoke-wheel

I tried these out for a few weeks, got close to + 0.1 Miles per kw, but not quite, wasn’t really worth it.

I think you meant 0.1 miles per kWh. If the Leaf gets 32 kWh per 100 miles then

100% * 0.1 / (100/32) = 3.2%

That's actually seems pretty good. At $650/yr in electricity costs that's about $20/yr.
These ecomods stack and you also get better range, lower electricity bills and a better battery life.

DoctorTheKitty said:
alozzy said:
These fit the 17" wheels:

https://pinshape.com/items/60720-3d-printed-nissan-leaf-aero-plates-17x65-alloy-split-spoke-wheel

I tried these out for a few weeks, got close to + 0.1 Miles per kw, but not quite, wasn’t really worth it.

Are you selling the ones you made with your 3d printer? ;)

Back