2018-2019 Leaf 2.0 "Service EV System. Unable to restart after power off"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 2018 Leaf, purchased on 8/25/2018. I drive a lot. As of 9/11/2019, i drove about 24k miles. On 9/11/2019, i got the "Service EV System. Unable to restart after power off" error message, Nissan Roadside assistance towed it to the dealership. It is now more than 3 weeks in the shop. They said it is the Power Delivery Module and the wires/fuses of it. However, they need the part to ship from Japan. It won't be here until Oct 20.... Who knows how long it will take to repair or if they will find more problems... I really need to get on the HOV lanes (free for alternative fuel vehicle, but the loaner doesn't have the alternative fuel tag). Is there anything i can do??

Thanks to henrydehoja I was able to identify operator error.
We charged 2019 Leaf SL PLUS for 3 hours last night on timer, however I forget and left my fob in the cup holder.
The car is my wife's that she drives most of the time. In the morning, I removed my fob from the car and placed back in house.
Later, when she went to drive the car, "Service EV System No Power" error.
Thanks to this post from Oct. 4, 2018 by henrydehoja I was able to follow his procedure, holding my wife's fob in the car and leaving the other fob in the house. Avoided a tow to dealer! Avoided down time without car!
Thank you henrydehoja!

henrydehoja said:
I have not seen that on my 2018 Leaf. However, it sounds like it may be an issue with the vehicle immobilizer system. Below is what I see in the manual on this system:

=================================
NISSAN VEHICLE IMMOBILIZER SYSTEM

The NISSAN Vehicle Immobilizer System will not allow the power switch to be placed in the READY to drive position without the
use of the registered key.

If the power switch fails to place the vehicle into the READY to drive position using the registered key, it may be due to interference
caused by another registered key, an automated toll road device or automated payment device on the key ring. Restart the
EV system using the following procedure:

1. Leave the power switch in the ON position for approximately 5 seconds.
2. Place the power switch in the OFF position and wait approximately 10 seconds.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 again.
4. Place the power switch in the READY to drive position while holding the device (which may have caused the interference) separate from the registered key.

If this procedure allows the power switch to be placed in the READY to drive mode, NISSAN recommends placing the registered key on a separate key ring to avoid interference from other devices.

OK, so we actually had a bad cell that shorted the 12volt battery.
replaced under warranty today. Car works fine.

The intermittent warning message "Service EV System, no power" lists several different possible causes in the owners manual.
None of them were that the 12 volt battery might be bad.

We followed the procedure below, and then the car worked.
We replaced the batteries in the FOBs and then the car worked.
The last time, we were in a parking lot, and the warning message appeared.
I went back in the building to use the bathroom after calling AAA for a tow to the dealer.
When I came out and tried to put the car in neutral for the tow truck -- the car worked!
I cancelled the tow and drove straight to the deal.....about 0.5miles.
They replaced the battery at a value of about $400-$500.

igranderojo said:
Thanks to henrydehoja I was able to identify operator error.
We charged 2019 Leaf SL PLUS for 3 hours last night on timer, however I forget and left my fob in the cup holder.
The car is my wife's that she drives most of the time. In the morning, I removed my fob from the car and placed back in house.
Later, when she went to drive the car, "Service EV System No Power" error.
Thanks to this post from Oct. 4, 2018 by henrydehoja I was able to follow his procedure, holding my wife's fob in the car and leaving the other fob in the house. Avoided a tow to dealer! Avoided down time without car!
Thank you henrydehoja!

henrydehoja said:
I have not seen that on my 2018 Leaf. However, it sounds like it may be an issue with the vehicle immobilizer system. Below is what I see in the manual on this system:

NISSAN VEHICLE IMMOBILIZER SYSTEM

The NISSAN Vehicle Immobilizer System will not allow the power switch to be placed in the READY to drive position without the
use of the registered key.

If the power switch fails to place the vehicle into the READY to drive position using the registered key, it may be due to interference
caused by another registered key, an automated toll road device or automated payment device on the key ring. Restart the
EV system using the following procedure:

1. Leave the power switch in the ON position for approximately 5 seconds.
2. Place the power switch in the OFF position and wait approximately 10 seconds.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 again.
4. Place the power switch in the READY to drive position while holding the device (which may have caused the interference) separate from the registered key.

If this procedure allows the power switch to be placed in the READY to drive mode, NISSAN recommends placing the registered key on a separate key ring to avoid interference from other devices.

igranderojo said:
Thanks to henrydehoja I was able to identify operator error...
Thank you henrydehoja!
Glad it worked. :)

Concerned about 2019 Leaf. Love the car, but got the ev warning it would not restart after power off. Had the car for about one year drove 25 000 km. Worried will have problem again outside of the 3 year 60 000 km standard warranty. Had no problem with our 2015 Leaf. It took a month to get car back from dealership.

2019 SL 2400 miles

I just got this code today. Jumped in this morning and drove about a block and code came on turned around parked it in the driveway and not able to move car.
Tried above restart sequence but no luck. Called the dealer but being a Sunday no help. At least I have a little info now after reading all this for when I talk with them in the morning.

Fingers crossed

Mtnbkr said:
2019 SL 2400 miles

I just got this code today. Jumped in this morning and drove about a block and code came on turned around parked it in the driveway and not able to move car.
Tried above restart sequence but no luck. Called the dealer but being a Sunday no help. At least I have a little info now after reading all this for when I talk with them in the morning.

Fingers crossed

Try pulling 12 volt battery cable for a few minutes?

As of 4-10-20 our 2018 SL with 18,000 miles at 22 months has done the same. No help yet from Nissan USA after a week. Not much help from two local dealerships, lack of service techs due to the C-19 virus. The third distant Nissan dealership may help. I have been one of the biggest advocates of EVs and the Leaf. But if NIssan fails me regarding this issue, well you know. I will update when I finally receive support. Even explaining to Nissan that my wife who needs this vehicle for her transportation to UCSF Children's Hospital, where she has been on the "front line", has made little difference with Nissan to date. Sure enough, build date ---MARCH 2018!

Update: Same fault codes,
P31E7
POAA6
POA8F

Update #2;
Received our Leaf back after exactly 3 weeks at the dealer. Reported that it is a bad cell in the front. It took some time just to get it to the dealer due to slow communication from them. Bought the leafspy app and LeLink 2, and was able to read the codes, then clear them after a screen shot. That way I was able to drive the Leaf to the Dealer. Insisted on a loaner vehicle, which was provided. On the way to the dealer the warning came up again, so the service was able to view the trouble codes also! Service informed me that one of the 192 cells shorted out. They replaced one of the 24 modules, each module contains 8 cells. After a week driving, so far so good. The module that was replaced showed the cells just slightly higher voltage before the replacement. After replacement same module showed slightly lower voltage. Both times read when SOC was at 90%.

Welp, this just happened to me. Now I'm stuck. Car won't charge, either (I had hoped that might reset it). 2018 SL, leased. LeafSpy doesn't report any errors, not sure how to get it to show fault codes.

JetForMe said:
Welp, this just happened to me. Now I'm stuck. Car won't charge, either (I had hoped that might reset it). 2018 SL, leased. LeafSpy doesn't report any errors, not sure how to get it to show fault codes.
Only the pro version can show the DTCs. You need to enable the service screen in the app's settings.

Just happened to me on Friday. 2019 LEAF Plus SV with just over 900 miles. Have only had it for one month. On my way to work. Same message so I drove it to the dealer. They're not sure what it is yet, but I will be suggesting that they read this thread.

I thought the LEAF was supposed to be a dependable vehicle!?! Isn't that what J.D. Power gave it an award for?

Not thrilled! :x

Day 4 in dealership service. Tried testing the cells after removing the battery and now say a new battery has been ordered. At least two weeks until delivery. I wonder if this is the early days of a larger nightmare to come? Does anyone know the average wait time for a new 62 kWh battery?

MaineEV said:
Day 4 in dealership service. Tried testing the cells after removing the battery and now say a new battery has been ordered. At least two weeks until delivery. I wonder if this is the early days of a larger nightmare to come? Does anyone know the average wait time for a new 62 kWh battery?

Hang in there...hopefully they are not "throwing parts at it"

1,600 miles on my 2019 SL Plus , build date 2/19 bought new 3/20....the only problem I've had is the high speed function of the windshield wiper has never worked.... Just waiting for my first annual check to have them look at that. Not worth a special trip right now. So far, very happy and the car is solid.

An entire battery pack? If it is just one of the cell modules it takes an average of three weeks. You can see what I went through on page 5 of this post, at the bottom. Be sure to get a loaner vehicle, or call Nissan EV customer support for assistance with a rental that they will reimburse. Ask first, and demand if needed. This is a manufacturer defect! As much as we have loved this vehicle, had we known about the length of time to replace one of the 192 cells, we would have been hesitant.

Billdit said:
An entire battery pack?

That was misinformation from a staff person. I was told that two weeks ago, but now they are saying they identified two faulty cells and another part. The cells were replaced last week, while the other part has yet to arrive. Might be getting it back this week. We hit the three week mark on Friday.

Has anybody had this repeat on them once the cells were replaced? My confidence level is mighty low at the moment and would love to hear that the fixed cells solved all the problem.

Has anybody had this repeat on them once the cells were replaced? My confidence level is mighty low at the moment and would love to hear that the fixed cells solved all the problem.

We've had posts from people who had bad cells replaced over the years, and I don't recall any about the problem recurring.

HI,
I'm having the same issue with the EV Error. Nobody knows how to fix it yet. The is my 2nd LEAF and this one is only 1 year old! My car was towed to a 2nd garage and they say they only get a LEAF in to work on like 1x/year.....so this problem is blowing their mind, I think.
How in the world can I avoid this in the future?

Billdit, thank you for all the details!!
My 2019 Leaf had the EV error message. It's been to two dealers in the last week, no word on how/when it'll get fixed. Still waiting on a loaner, too. It's my 2nd LEAF and never heard of this problem before. I need to dig around to see if I can find the manufactured date.

Thank you to EVERYONE who posts something, it helps!!!!!

Back