Need info on 2013 SV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldbrick

I'm looking at a 2013 SV Leaf for my father (or me). I currently have a 2017 S so I know the basics but I have a few detailed questions about the SV that I'm hoping someone can answer for me. I can probably find all the answers in time by searching but I'm hoping some friendly 2013 SV owner can answer them all in one shot. So here goes:

The car in question is a 2013 SV. Build date is 06/2013 so 'Wolf Pack'

1) It does not have a CHAdeMO port. Does this mean it has a 3.3kW charger? Does this mean 16A max at either 120V or 240V?
2) Does it have the same crappy headlights that are on my 2017 S?
3) How much to do I have to worry about the telematics? I doubt it has the SD card so I will probably never use that but do I have to worry about battery drain or anything ? Can I just completely disable this feature or can it be revived cheaply?
4) How bad is the 12V charging algorithm on this year and model? I've never had any trouble with my 2017 but I can't remember how susceptible the 2013 MY was.
5) It only has one key. I assume it would be a big-buck purchase to buy another key (dealer only?) or is there another path?
7) I forgot to check for a backup camera. Does a 2013 SV (base SV if that exists....) have a camera for reverse?
8) Does this car have the 'charge to 80% feature'?

I think that's it. Thanks for any help and mods feel free to move this if needed.

1) No. All '13 to '17 SV and SL have 6.6 kW OBC. Specs tab of https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/release-698a9e429ae04602b683514427ca41ba-us-2013-nissan-leaf-press-kit may help.
2) Probably. If it doesn't have the QC + LED headlights package, it has crappy halogens. I've had a car w/the good LED headlights (SV w/QC + LED + premium) and now one without it.
3) Was $199 to upgrade to 3G TCU. Don't know about now.
4) It's not good. I use a Optimate 4 12 volt charger on my car to help preserve the life of my 12 volt. I'm on my 3rd 12 volt. Original died at about 2.5 year mark from original in-service date. "84 month" Nissan-branded replacement that I got as a free warranty replacement died so I replaced it with one I bought from Costco.

Pro-rated "84 month" warranty is crap so it was more $ to go back to the dealer than to buy a battery from Costco (https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=572068#p572068).
8) Yes.

7) I forgot to check for a backup camera. Does a 2013 SV (base SV if that exists....) have a camera for reverse?
8) Does this car have the 'charge to 80% feature'?

7: The backup camera was an option, not standard, in 2013. There are even SLs without it that year, although most 2013s seem to have it. Check. (I used to refer to "Base" SVs as a better alternative to the S, but I got yelled at too many times for it, and stopped.)

8: Yes, it has the best version of the 80% charge feature, in that it has both timer and global settings for it. That means you can set the car to charge to 80% unless the timer override is pressed, in which case it will charge to 100% that time.

2) Does it have the same crappy headlights that are on my 2017 S?

No, those are still on your 2017 S. ;) It does have the same kind of halogens, though. There may be car to car variation in beam quality, though: I never found anything wrong with the Low beams on my 2013, just the High beams.

Thanks! That is exactly what I was looking for.

If it had a 3.3kW OBC I might have passed since if I keep it my plan was to someday bump it up to a new battery (>= 40kWh) and charging at 3.3kW would make that a non-starter. I'll have to check for the backup camera. That is a nice to have but not a deal breaker at this point.

The car is at 78% SOH at 57k miles and drives as smoothly as my 2017 with 18k miles on it. My dad's drive to town is 11 miles each way and there are a few other places he'd go within 20 miles so 40 miles round-trip max. Seems doable especially since I doubt he'd be out driving in snow, etc. He's elderly, retired and doesn't go out that much - who does these days!?! - so I think it might work for him. It would probably work for me too since my work is 9 miles away. The range would be about 70% of what I have now but I could live with that. I think the heated steering wheel and hybrid heater would him more good than me but either car should work for either of us. The ask price is $5k and I'm surprised it hasn't sold since that seems like a good price around here. Thanks again for the quick and accurate responses.

If you are willing, post the VIN of the LEAF you are considering as there is a good chance we can check the original sales sticker to verify the car specs.

You can also try it yourself, but it's a little technical and tricky:

https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=23716&start=40#p535946

If there is a photo of the rear of the car, the hatch handle without backup camera is different from the one with built-in camera, IIRC. You can see the camera lens if it has one.

VIN is 1N4AZ0CP4C412094. Thanks for the help.

I do have a photo of the rear but it was noon when I took it and there is a dark shadow under the latch. I don't see the camera there but I wonder if it is just in the shadow.

I just looked at my Leaf the difference in the rear hatch handle is quite obvious. Based on photos I took of the car it does not have a rear camera. Not a huge deal for me or hopefully for my folks as I got the OK from them this morning to pick up the car. Thanks again everyone and wish us luck getting from here to there.

gncndad said:
...on our 2015 LeafS, the backup camera is a bit of a joke. Small screen, terrible optics.

I'll bet you wouldn't trade it for the one on our 2013 Prius PHEV. It goes quite well with the backup alarm that sounds only inside the car.

Thanks for trying.

Brief update....I just picked up the car and drove it back to work where it is now charging. Went about 40 miles and while I can't remember the exact starting SOC it seems like everything is kosher as far as SOH and expected range . Now I need to clean up a few decals and deal with the mis-matched tire situation. A friend has offered up his Landcruiser so I'll probably tow it to the farm for my folks in a week or so. Or keep it and sell my Dad my 2017. His choice. Thanks again for all the help with this thread and all others as well.

Back