Government subsidies/perks/mandates for EVs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
Electric vehicles emit less pollution than ICE vehicles even when the source of the electricity is coal burning power plants. Show us power plants using bunker oil and you will have a point.

I know you meant pure ICEs, but I'll just point out that hybrids are still ahead in West Virginia and maybe a few other states that are heavily coal-dependent. The number of states where that is the case has been declining every year..

Here's a link pointing to UCS data for 2018: https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=25460&p=579056&hilit=Ucs#p579056

GCC:
Bipartisan bill in Congress would direct DOD to replace non-tactical vehicles with ZEVs

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2020/05/20200522-cisneros.html

Gradual replacement via attrition. Probably has zero chance of passage through the current Senate, but an idea for the next Congress assuming the Senate and the presidency change hands. As DoD's the world's largest customer for fossil fuels, they're probably onboard.

The air force started buying hybrid cars back around 2010 to 2012.
If they were to buy pure electric vehicles there's no where to charge them on base.
The electrical systems on a lot of buildings are antique and already over loaded.
Then when electric vehicles go down range they just get charged with diesel generators.
DoD wasted a ton of money on CNG vehicles and filling stations during the obama, biden reign I doubt they are eager to do it again.

Oilpan4 said:
The air force started buying hybrid cars back around 2010 to 2012.
If they were to buy pure electric vehicles there's no where to charge them on base.
The electrical systems on a lot of buildings are antique and already over loaded.
Then when electric vehicles go down range they just get charged with diesel generators.
DoD wasted a ton of money on CNG vehicles and filling stations during the obama, biden reign I doubt they are eager to do it again.

Then you haven't been paying attention to what DoD has been doing re PV both on bases and in combat zones (fuel convoys being one of the major targets and source of U.S. casualties), or bothered to read the article, which also mentions the need to provide on-base charging facilities.

I'm well aware of what the limitations.
PV installs down range are little more than PR. The PV I have seen in the PR are a joke, I have setup down range power systems so unlike the reporters who have no idea of the power requirements for a camp, I do.
I'm well aware of supply line limitations.
One thing the article doesn't mention is the historic limitations on expeditionary advances. From gulf war 1 all the way back to ww2 the historic limit of the distance ground forces can advance into enemy lines is about 250 miles and the supply lines are stretched to the breaking point. Adding electrics won't improve this at all. Hybrids maybe. Electrics will just die, be abandoned, pushed off the road and set on fire.
Do you expect the enemy to leave the power plant going and all electrical infrastructure intact so we can charge all our electric vehicles when we roll into a city?
HA!
The answer is the enemy wouldn't have a chance to, air force or navy war planes would have already turned the power off permanently with bombs ahead of allied advance.

What the article doesn't consider is the level of neglect most base electrical systems have been worn down to.

For example when I was at Langley and then much later on at cannon we had to manually engage a 480v contactor to run a peice of machinery because "the control circuit hadn't worked in years", "because there wasn't money to fix it", "because the setup was obsolete and you can't get replacement parts for it, so it all has to be ripped out and replaced". In a nut shell that sums up all your older buildings on any base which is the majority of them.
After I got out of the air force in the civilian world you would be fired on the spot no questions asked with 0 chance of collecting unemployment for manually energizing a contactor like that without full bomb squad like PPE and a safety permit, these are OSHA regulations, not company policy.
At Carswell, a weird joint air force, navy base, with federal womens prison the electrical infrastructure was so overloaded the power would go out multiple times every summer due to over loaded lines, switch gear and transformers. DoD and DoJ would just argue about how the electrical isn't their responsibility and it never got fixed, just bandaided.

That article and bill was written with child like optimism and nativity and doesn't factor in anything from the real world. It sounds good if you dont know anything about the military, war or don't give it a second worth of critical thinking.

Seeing as how no one is suggesting BEVs in a combat zone (PHEVs are a different matter), your comments about them are irrelevant.

As to existing base infrastructure , sure a lot of it is obsolete, which is why upgrading is necessary. A lot of U.S. bases are becoming micro-grids, so they can continue to operate in natural disasters. As to combat bases, their energy demands depend on their size and where they are. A lot of FOB's demand is for generators to run the comms and other electronics, and that's why you see PV so widely deployed at them. Naturally they still have the gensets, but the fuel requirements are much reduced. As POL is the biggest log requirement by far in both cube and tonnage, anything that can reduce the demand for it is valuable. A 2017:article:
U.S. military marches forward on green energy, despite Trump

https://mobile-reuters-com.cdn.ampp...a-military-green-energy-insight-idUSKBN1683BL

BTW, one of the major supporters of boosting EERE was Gen. Mattis, from his experiences in Afghanistan (2001, FOB Rhino) and elsewhere.

Some bases can micro grid because of diesel generators. But i dont think i have seen any of the state side bases with extensive backups.
Typically the hospital, the base command building, the POL guys, air traffic control assets on an airforce base have backup generators and not a whole lot more.
Over seas almost everything that isn't base housing has a backup generator.
Out here cannon air force bases idea of backup power for the base was to bring lines in from both Texas grid and west coast grid to their sub station.
If the military wants to adopt "green tech" they should, we don't need politicians who know nothing about "green tech" and "the military" forcing it one way or the other.
I would love for the military to upgrade all their bases, I could quit my job, get with an electrical contractor, make minimum 2x more money for about 1/3 the work, do that about 3 or 4 years. Or if they harden the base against solar storm and man made emp that would stretch it out at least 10 years then I could retire.
But I dont see it happening any time soon.

Of course it won't happen anytime soon. Given the sheer number and size of DoD facilities, it has already been underway for more than a decade, and will take several more decades to complete, depending on the vagaries of funding. Example from last year:
Military Microgrids Featured at Microgrid 2019 in San Diego, May 14-16

https://microgridknowledge.com/military-microgrids-conference/

. . . Fortunately for the microgrid industry, the military is placing increasing emphasis on energy resiliency, a key benefit of microgrids. For example, the Army now mandates that critical infrastructure be able to withstand a 14-day power outage, up from 2-3 days in the past. . . .

The May 14-16 conference features a special session, “The Reliability Mission: How and Why the Military is Prioritizing Distributed Energy Resources. . . ."

In addition, the event includes a tour of one of the most advanced military microgrids in development, located at MCAS.

Reliable energy is crucial for MCAS — the San Diego base serves marines and sailors from the 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing, which provide combat ready expeditionary aviation forces capable of short-notice worldwide deployment. It is home to 10,000 service members and their families and supports more than 200 aircraft.

Backed by $20 million in Congressional funding, MCAS is building a microgrid that integrates multiple resources and showcases sophisticated, best-in-class features.

In addition to supplying redundant power, the microgrid is designed to help green the base’s operations, bolster cybersecurity, reduce demand charges and manage overall energy load. By participating in demand response and providing grid services, the microgrid also will support the efficient functioning of California’s electric grid. . . .

More details on the Miramar system at :
MCAS Miramar conducts successful test on microgrid

https://www.mciwest.marines.mil/New...iramar-conducts-successful-test-on-microgrid/

. . . The Microgrid Control System (MCS) in the EWOC provides normal, economic, test and island modes for the microgrid. Island mode is when the installation is receiving no electricity from outside and is completely powering itself meeting the energy resilience goal set forth by Marine Corps Installations Command.

Reliability and efficiency will be built into the microgrid by utilizing diverse methods of energy production including landfill gas power, solar photovoltaic (PV) panels, clean diesel and natural gas generators and demand response. . . .

Another article:
How Is the US Military Using Solar Power?

https://solarmetric-com.cdn.ampproj...arn/how-is-the-us-military-using-solar-power/

Germany will require all gas stations to provide electric car charging
There are 14,000 petrol stations in the country

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/06/04/germany-electric-car-charging-at-all-gas-stations/

Germany said it will mandate all petrol stations to offer electric car charging as part of a sweeping 130 billion euro ($146.26 billion) economic recovery plan, boosting electric vehicle demand that has been hampered by consumer concerns over refueling.

Germany unveiled the incentives as part of a broader stimulus plan that included staggered taxes to penalize ownership of large polluting combustion-engined sports utility vehicles. . . .

In Germany, electric cars made up only 1.8% of new passenger car registrations last year, with diesel and petrol cars accounting for 32% and 59.2% respectively.

Of the 168,148 new registrations in May, only 5,578 or 3.3% were electric cars . . . A further 51.1% were petrol powered, 31.6% were diesel cars and 17.6% were hybrid or plug-in hybrid cars.

As of March 2020, Germany had only 27,730 electric car charging stations according to BDEW, Germany's association for the energy and water industry.

To make electric cars a mass market phenomenon, at least 70,000 charging stations and 7,000 fast charging stations are required, according to the BDEW.

IEVS:
FCA Develops PHEV That Runs Solely On Electricity When In Restricted Zones

https://insideevs.com/news/427031/turin-geofencing-lab-jeep-renegade-4xe/

While I have my doubts that this would fly in the US, a transponder such as the ones used to collect tolls automatically should be able to be modified so that it knows what mode the PHEV is in, and whether or not it can enter a ZEV zone. I expect we'll increasingly see these zones here, albeit well behind Europe, so providing some method for PHEVs to be used in them during the transition to ZEVs strikes me as important.

Of course, if the implementation of such zones here is very delayed, it may be that pure ZEVs have come down enough in price by then to see mass market adoption, and there's no need to make provision for a transitional tech like PHEVs.

Still, many US residents have enjoyed the benefits of noticeably cleaner air over the past two months or so, and hopefully this will lead to a speed-up in the adoption of such zones in major urban areas with bad air.

GCC:
FTA awarding $130M in Low-No grants for zero-emission and low-emission transit buses and facilities

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2020/06/20200605-fta.html

. . . Forty-one projects in 40 states and the District of Columbia will receive funding through the program.

Eligible projects include the purchase or lease of buses powered by modern, efficient technologies. These include hydrogen fuel cells, battery electric engines, and related infrastructure investments such as charging stations. . . .

There's a list of each grant.

GCC:
Study finds California Advanced Clean Trucks rule will generate $7-12B in overall savings by 2040

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2020/06/20200618-ei.html

New research from Energy Innovation and the Environmental Defense Fund calculates that California’s Advanced Clean Trucks rule proposal—the first of its kind in the US—will generate between $7-$12 billion in overall economic savings by 2040 and would also help create a market for up to 500,000 new electric trucks across the state for EV truck makers such as Tesla and Nikola.

The new rule, expected to be approved by the California Air Resources Board on June 25, would require 60% of new medium- and heavy-duty trucks sold in the state to be zero emission vehicles by 2035. . . .

Local and global air pollution benefits are almost indistinguishable. The California EPS finds the proposed rule saves $7.3 billion through 2040 compared to the $6.0 billion CARB estimates. Variations in how the models treat vehicle cost largely explain this difference. . . .

The study also calculated a reduction in CO2e emissions of more than 17 million metric tons, creating nearly $9 billion in public health benefits, including nearly 1,000 avoided premature deaths through 2040. These environmental benefits will be concentrated in urban and disadvantaged communities, ensuring economic growth comes with environmental justice.

California showed us how long distance rail is a catastrophic waste of money.
I think they spent 7 billion dollars for a rail line that is years behind schedule and never moved a single person and if it ever does get going it will cost around twice the price of driving a gas guzzling SUV to Las Vegas an
Code:
d back.[youtube][/youtube]

$35M in VW Environmental Mitigation Trust funding is now available for zero-emission freight and marine projects in California

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2020/06/20200619-vwtrust.html

. . . A second solicitation offering an additional $35 million is expected to be released in mid-2022.

The eligible projects are:

Scrap and replace forklifts (with >8,000 lbs. lift capacity), airport ground support equipment (GSE) and port cargo handling equipment (CHE) with new zero-emission technologies;

Scrap and repower marine engines for ferries, tugboats, and towboats with new zero-emission battery-electric or fuel cell technologies; and

Install shore power at berths that serve ocean-going vessels.

Key project requirements include:

For replacement and repower projects, the old equipment must be scrapped (destroyed). . . .

Back