Start button question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flickswagen

Hi,

My start button behaves a bit weird. For about 30 seconds after unlocking the doors, I can start the car as normal, but after that, I first have to cycle through the ACC and ON modes before the car turns on (to READY mode). I am pressing the brake pedal throughout the process, doesn't matter how hard I push it, still have to cycle through the modes. I have tried using the 2nd key and reconnecting the 12v battery.

Has anyone experienced this before? Is there a DIY solution or would this be a matter for the dealership?

LeftieBiker said:
If you are holding the brake pedal down the whole time, try only pressing it when you are ready to start the car.
This is what I meant, e.g I get in the car, put some things away, press the brake pedal and push the button, but the car just goes to ACC. I don't press the pedal if I'm not intending to start the car.

Sounds like something my car does if I push and release the start button too quickly.

Oilpan4 said:
Sounds like something my car does if I push and release the start button too quickly.
I don't think that's the reason. I press it for a good second or so.

This has been happening consistently ever since I got the car.

Update: after further diagnosis I have determined that right after the doors are unlocked, the car will start with a single press during the first 55 seconds after the unlock. Pressing the unlock button on the key resets the timer, the internal door locking button does not. After those 55 seconds, the car will first go into ACC and then ON with each press of the power button, regardless if I press on the brakes or not. Going to ON also resets the timer.

I suspect this has to do with the fleet management hardware installed on the car. If anyone is experiencing similar behaviour, let me know.

Back