TSLA corporate outlook

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is amazing that some do not understand Elon Musk's efforts and successes but perhaps most have never lived on the edge of bankruptcy when building their dream risking everything year after year.

GaleHawkins said:
It is amazing that some do not understand Elon Musk's efforts and successes but perhaps most have never lived on the edge of bankruptcy when building their dream risking everything year after year.
+1

Until a person has started and struggled building a business they do not fully understand Elon or the entire idea of being an entrepreneur.

At some level get out there and struggle people. It is good for you.

https://abc7news.com/tesla-employees-tested-positive-for-covid-19-after-fremont-plant-reopened-report-says/6238977/ (Several Tesla employees tested positive for COVID-19 after Fremont plant reopened, report says) was posted at work. I just stumbled across https://electrek.co/2020/06/09/exclusive-four-tesla-workers-at-main-factory-model-s-x-line-test-positive-for-covid-19/ (Four Tesla workers at main factory Model S/X line test positive for COVID-19).

This isn't terribly surprising given https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/20/ford-closes-chicago-plant-after-two-workers-test-positive-for-covid-19.html happening awhile ago.

I think all auto manufacturing esp. in areas that don't have COVID-19 under control are going to have some real challenges until either more effective treatments exist or there's a vaccine.

And yet. Meanwhile in Calif....
This must irk the California New Car Dealers Association to report:
https://insideevs.com/news/426084/california-tesla-model-3-best-selling-q12020/
The first quarter of 2020 positively surprised us with the first place among all types of cars, not only passenger but also SUV/trucks, for the all-electric Tesla Model 3:

Tesla Model 3 - 18,856
Honda Civic - 18,001
Toyota Camry - 17,871
Toyoa RAV4 - 17,261
Toyota Corolla - 15,575
Honda Accord - 12,551

This milestone was in Nissan's grasp; with investment in the LEAF this could have been them. Just a difference of vision, leadership and execution.

LeftieBiker said:
Now if only Tesla can start making cars with at least high initial build quality...

build quality on my car and every owner I've spoken with is fine. Of course you will find a few bad cars out of 90k every quarter. It is just with Tesla they seem to make front page news and with other manufacturers you don't hear about it. overblown in my opinion.

palmermd said:
LeftieBiker said:
Now if only Tesla can start making cars with at least high initial build quality...

build quality on my car and every owner I've spoken with is fine. Of course you will find a few bad cars out of 90k every quarter. It is just with Tesla they seem to make front page news and with other manufacturers you don't hear about it. overblown in my opinion.

Maybe, but then why the terrible JD Power rating for initial quality? That sort of thing affects sales in the long run.

LeftieBiker said:
palmermd said:
LeftieBiker said:

Maybe, but then why the terrible JD Power rating for initial quality? That sort of thing affects sales in the long run.
Could be that Tesla doesn't pay J D Powers to do surveys. It's an open secret that J D Powers will figure out a Survey that makes you come out on top if you pay them to. It's then obvious that anybody who doesn't pay them ends up ranking lower.

Press cars are arriving with pieces literally falling off. Yes, the software is very good, but bukmild quality is still at least 5 years behind the rest of the industry...wait where have I heard that before.

In spite of the rant, I do wish Tesla well, as it is an American company and a global success story. What I don't like is the cult following like Apple. Its one reason why I won't buy the car at this stage. The leaf is still a better deal for now.

Could be that Tesla doesn't pay J D Powers to do surveys. It's an open secret that J D Powers will figure out a Survey that makes you come out on top if you pay them to. It's then obvious that anybody who doesn't pay them ends up ranking lower.

That takes something that may well be true, and extrapolates, with no factual basis, to something that very likely is not true. If peoples' experiences weren't jibing with the JD Power survey that would be one thing. To say that the terrible build quality of new Teslas is just normal and is being exaggerated despite all of these BGN* Teslas showing up, that is choosing wishful thinking over reality.

* Buick Grand National. The car, which used a turbocharged V-6 that made it a wee bit faster than the Corvette of the same year, was known for terrible build quality, with the doors literally falling off of some of them. If you bought a BGN, it was advised to get your wrenches out and re-torque as many bolts as you could possibly reach, then cross your fingers about the ones you couldn't.

LeftieBiker said:
* Buick Grand National. The car, which used a turbocharged V-6 that made it a wee bit faster than the Corvette of the same year, was known for terrible build quality, with the doors literally falling off of some of them. If you bought a BGN, it was advised to get your wrenches out and re-torque as many bolts as you could possibly reach, then cross your fingers about the ones you couldn't.
My brother never had any such items in 10+ years owning a BGN. But that is just one car.

IIRC, that touchscreen was never designed for the Hot interior of a car in Summer. So I guess that they've decided that either the memory card, the touchscreen, or both are likely to fail after two years, at least in most climates.

Thank you, Doug! TIL
LeftieBiker said:
IIRC, that touchscreen was never designed for the Hot interior of a car in Summer. So I guess that they've decided that either the memory card, the touchscreen, or both are likely to fail after two years, at least in most climates.
Indeed, the Model S touchscreen was from the stories I've seen wasn't automotive grade to able to handle the temps. And, apparently, Model S (and I think X) were writing WAY too much to the eMMC (soldered to the MCU motherboard), wearing out the flash memory.

There are many many threads on TMC about this. Google for site:teslamotorsclub.com mcu fail. There are thread like https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/preventive-emmc-replacement-on-mcu1.152489/ about desoldering the chip and replacing it either ahead of time or once it fails.

Back