Moving Beyond Oil

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyH

http://www.letsmovebeyondoil.org/

http://action.sierraclub.org/site/MessageViewer?em_id=180066.0

Washington, DC- As Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal, Senator David Vitter and others call on President Obama to end the three-week old off-shore drilling moratorium, they are using local concerns about jobs in an effort to push for more drilling in the devastated region. The Gulf, like all of America, has been struggling in the face of job losses for months. Now, the BP Disaster has dealt a near-fatal blow to the area, wiping out local jobs in tourism and fishing. In the face of this disaster, the oil industry and its allies are now pushing to declare the Gulf a dead zone in which drilling is the only industry.

http://www.beyondoil.org

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

June 4, 2010

(415) 977-5619

As BP Disaster Spreads, Sierra Club Launches "Beyond Oil" Campaign
Rallies, Ads, Website, Petition Urge Obama to Respond to Disaster with Bold Plan to End Oil Dependence

Venice, La.- Today, the Sierra Club launched a new campaign urging President Obama to respond the BP oil disaster in the Gulf with a bold plan to end America's dependence on oil in the next twenty years. The Sierra Club's "Beyond Oil" campaign will include rallies and events around the nation, paid ads, a new website, a short documentary and videos. The organization will be mobilizing its 1.3 million members and supporters, and conducting robust outreach to concerned Americans everywhere.

Sierra Club's Executive Director Michael Brune was in the Gulf this week touring the disaster site for the second time. After seeing oiled birds and struggling dolphins, Brune issued a call to action for all Americans who feel helpless in the face of the disaster and want to make sure it never happens again.

You can watch a video of Brune in the Gulf here: www.beyondoil.org

Statement of Sierra Club Executive Director Michael Brune

What I have seen in the Gulf is shocking. It's horrifying. It's heartbreaking. One bird, covered in oil, struggled again and again to take off from the water. Other pelicans would approach and then move away. It's the kind of image you want to share, not because it's beautiful, but because you want so badly for people to understand.

We can't accept business as usual after what we've seen in the Gulf. This disaster changes everything.

That pelican, coated in oil and struggling to take flight, reminds me of America's past failed attempts to make meaningful progress toward the clean energy future we all know we must someday achieve.

The oil industry has impeded our progress for far too long. It's time to stand up to the oil industry. It's time to move America beyond its dependence on oil.

We have never needed President Obama's vision and boldness more than we do today. We are urging the President to seize this moment, not just to repair broken oversight of the oil industry, but to chart a new course.

We are calling on President Obama to deliver a plan to end America's dependence on oil over the next twenty years. Cleaning up our energy won't be easy, but with the right leadership, it can be done.

Perhaps President Obama can paraphrase the man who once sat behind that same desk in the Oval Office: "We choose to do these things not because they're easy, but because they're right."

After President Kennedy declared that we would put a man on the moon, it took just eight years to transform his vision into reality. For this race, where the stakes are so much higher, we have two decades -- and a bigger head start.

For many Americans who live in places like Ohio and Oregon, it's easy to watch images from the Gulf and feel despair. It's easy to feel helpless. But there is something we can do. We can make sure this doesn't happen again. That's why we're calling on our supporters and concerned citizens everywhere to send a clear message to President Obama. We're ready to stand up to the oil industry and embrace clean energy and a 21st century transportation system. If not now, when?

To find out more, please visit http://www.beyondoil.org

The "electrification Coalition" has a plan, but it was a 30 year plan, it is estimated to get %75 of the light duty fleet electrified, it would take until 2040, because new car sales are about 10 million per year in the US, and there are over 250 million cars currently. 25 years, more like 30 is realistic. Of course we need something to replace oil & coal fired electricty plants, that means more nuclear, Solar PV, Wind, Geothermal, Hydro, and anything else that comes along. It also means giants leaps forward in energy storage, and V2G (Grid Tied Vehicles) to store some of this energy to decentralize some of the grid

http://www.electrificationcoalition.org/

<on soapbox>

Perhaps we need a massive incentive to stop using oil.

Increase the tax on each gallon oil $0.05 each month until there is negligable remaining use, and spend all those taxes, not on war to get more oil, but rather here at home on building renewable sources of power, heating, transportation, etc.?

Sorry Halliburton, BP, ... etc.

Terminate the stupid wars and put all that money, manpower, and effort into building wind, solar, electrical infrastructure, etc. here at home.

Start a new direction for the future strength of the USA, and set a good example (for a change) for the rest of the world.

I am tired of being part of a warmonger nation. I vote AGAINST the wars. Can we not change BEFORE there is real fighting right here at home, between ourselves, just for water?

<off soapbox>

Gary,

From the perspective of the profession of arms, the military exists to kill people and break things. We're brought in when the politicians fail. And the politicians fail most often when we stop telling them where to go.

It appears that it is possible to get through to the politicians, but it takes more than just four or five people demanding their attention. Nature will fill a vacuum - and so will lobbyists if we aren't the voices in our Senator's and representative's ears. If we aren't calling, writing, emailing, and faxing them, who is to blame when they take care of themselves and not us? It's a lot easier to complain, but anyone that really wants to turn the ship is going to have to make their voice heard.

We are still subsidizing the fossil fuel industry.** When would be a good time to let them live or die on their own ability to operate? The alternate energy industry has been calling for a level playing field for years - and that call has been picked-up and used as a weapon by opponents of alternatives. (If that wind stuff is so good, why do they need subsidies? Can't they live on a level playing field?) The question is - who is fighting for the alternatives? Anyone?

The President continues to call for a clean energy future. He talked at the Solyndra solar plant in Fremont the end of May, and talked again in Cleveland last week. There are multiple pieces of legislation working their way thru the House and Senate that would expand clean energy and wean the fossil fuel industry off welfare. But the fossil fuel lobby is loud, strong, and well funded. These businesses will not give up their cash flow without a fight.

It starts with our own personal focus. Law of attraction says that we get what we think about. Ask and you shall receive. We reap what we sow (and we don't eat if we don't sow...). Focus on war adds more 'wood' to the war 'fire'. Change the focus to what is actually wanted - become the change we want to be. Even when constantly assaulted by the sights and sounds of our Gulf Oilcano, keep telling our politicians not where we've been or where we are - but where we want to go!

"Which road do I take?" (Alice)
"Where do you want to go?"
"I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then", said the cat, "it doesn't matter.”

The end of war is a fabulous destination - and I can guarantee that few of the world's military members want to die - they're much stronger supporters of peace than most of their civilian countrymen! But they also know that their countrymen have short attention spans and are a generally lazy bunch. So they are forced to keep the powder dry because they know that if the country doesn't steer the politicians, lethal force is the convenient 'solution' of last resort.

[edit]
** But not as much as I initially thought. See these, and please post if you have better views of fossil fuel incentives and tax breaks. Thanks!

Fact Check - What tax breaks do oil companies get when they ship jobs overseas?
http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/what_kind_of_tax_breaks_does_the.html

CRS Report for Congress: Oil and Gas Tax Subsidies: Current Status and Analysis Feb 2007
http://www.ncseonline.org/NLE/CRSreports/07March/RL33763.pdf
[/edit]

Andy

AndyH said:
The end of war is a fabulous destination - and I can guarantee that few of the world's military members want to die - they're much stronger supporters of peace than most of their civilian countrymen!

Yes - it is no accident that most war-mongering hawks are chicken hawks like Cheney.

Very Good Andy.

Trying to create a greater focus on a new or different goal is necessary, but often difficult without a "disaster" (usually man-made) to get the public's attention.

Maybe the new book "The Poisoning of the Gulf" will get some attention and motivate more people.

garygid said:
Increase the tax on each gallon oil $0.05 each month until there is negligable remaining use, and spend all those taxes, not on war to get more oil, but rather here at home on building renewable sources of power, heating, transportation, etc.?

Gary,

I know you care about the issue otherwise you wouldn't have taken time to find a soap box much less get on it. :) I too would like to navigate a course thru to the other side of the petroleum mess. I can't help with the course, but might be able to provide one useful data point.

As you already know, I started a business just before retiring from the USAF. I worked with small fleets - helping them increase fuel economy, move to longer life lubricants and filters, and use oil analysis as a maintenance tool and to allow them to get the best life from their lubricants. It was satisfying to cut fuel use as a semi running 200,000 miles per year at 6mpg uses more than 33,000 gallons of diesel.

One of the tools in my training kit is an article from the Wall Street Journal, March 11, 2003: Diesel Prices Force Small Truckers Off the Road. In 2003 there were 600,000 trucking companies in the US - 80% of which have six or fewer trucks. Most of our freight moves by truck. For every 10 cent rise in fuel prices, 1000 trucking firms go out of business.

I can't draw a 'spiderweb' diagram showing how all the dots are connected, but I would expect that any politician interested in growing jobs, pulling us out of our recession, and keeping his or her own job would push back hard against anyone suggesting a fuel price increase. And that's before the trucking and fuel organizations and lobbies start bending their ears.

It almost seems like the path of least resistance is to provide an alternative before jacking up fuel prices. I personally like the idea of a coast-to-coast electric train that connects the NW and SW ports with the East Coast and picks up the main mid-west freight terminals. The rail right of way could also be used for the major high-voltage DC transmission line that forms the backbone of our new power grid.

I'm not sure how far along we are in the 'birthing process' but I expect there'll be plenty of screaming and mess before we get to the other side of the energy puzzle...

Andy,
Yes, a lot of things will have to change as the cost of transportation increases.
"Grown locally", and "Made in USA" might be again seen on products.
You are right, things will change.

Having a national rail system above third world standards would be another area to focus on. Way too much freight on roads that should be on rails, and way too many intermediate passenger trips taken by air and car that should be on trains.

In fact the discussion about EV range is nonsensical. If you're going more than 100 miles you should be kicking back in the lounge car, not stressing out on a road trip.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2010-01-28-high-speed-trains_N.htm

The USA took a first step toward building a national high-speed rail network when the Obama administration announced the winners of $8 billion in grants for rail-building projects Thursday.

Compare to ...

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2009/fortune/0908/gallery.china_high_speed_train.fortune/index.html

When China's $300 billion high-speed train system is completed, it will be the world's largest, fastest, and most technologically sophisticated.

http://english.eastday.com/e/100607/u1a5247114.html

China plans to invest 700 billion yuan (US$103 billion) on another 4,600 kilometers of high-speed railways this year, the general engineer of the Ministry of Railways said.

Who do you think is serious ?

yes, and you know what? They are doing it with OUR money, money we sent to China for all that crap we buy at Wallmart.

mitch672 said:
yes, and you know what? They are doing it with OUR money, money we sent to China for all that crap we buy at Wallmart.

Don't forget - the money we sent them was borrowed from them :lol:

mitch672 said:

And it's not out money after we leave the store with our new stuff!

Back