LEAF CANbus decoding. (Open discussion)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wjbitner said:
IskeSoderlund said:
Hi!
Been lurking here for a while, I'm trying to hack a leaf OBD charger. I've come quite a way closer to charging. I've written a program which makes the charger think it's in the leaf. And it seems to work the charger is no longer sending "fault" signals by CAN. And I'm trying to make it charge by sending the same messages that the VCM sends to the leaf when charging, according to CAN captures by carrot. I still haven't been able to make it charge. Is it possible that the charger like the inverter saves DTC and refuses to start charging? If so what's my best option to remove stored DTCs?

If anyone wants my codes for the program or help with making the charger "think" its in a leaf just contact me!

I would like to see your code. I would like to re-use the leaf charger and dc/dc converter outside the Leaf. I have 2 leaf motors. I have the inverter/section working well and would like to use the charger also.

Thanks.
Bill Bitner
[email protected]
bbitnerblogs.com/e-miata
I also ask you to send me a code for testing. I connected all the wires, but charging does not start.
My E-mail: [email protected]

IskeSoderlund - Not sure why I cannot message you directly, are you able to PM me please re the Leaf Charger - I believe you have the DC-DC part working outside the leaf?

^ many forums (fora?) require a set number of minimum posts before various features are enabled. I'm guessing you can't PM since you don't have the required number of posts yet.

Ahh Ok, well for those interested I have built an EV RX8 Already
https://youtu.be/F-6JjiPHGaM

I am currently replacing the motor, inverter, charger, and batteries with a Leaf setup (80kw, 30kwh).

Although I do not have ANY of it working yet, I have every thing I need to make things go. However information on the Charger, and the DC-DC aspect I have found little info on.

Unlike the RX8 that I have almost completely decoded, I have not got a working Leaf so things are a little bit more blind!

Looking to speak with IskeSoderlund as he indicates he got at least the Dc-Dc part working and am interested to see how far he has got...

When I have this working, like the RX8 CanBus code, I will release a one source of information to get a Leaf going. Hoping to do all this without the use of any external ECU (other than an Arduino) or circuitry or hardware.

I hope...

Dave

Getting the Leaf charger and BMS to work would save thousands per electric conversion vs aftermarket stuff...That would be a boon!

Tonight I did some more CAN-decoding. The Audio/Video (AV-CAN) is not very well documented on the Leaf. A recent discovery by Jonas Andersson piqued my interest, check this out:

https://youtu.be/YHXWIY8XTCg

By injecting a CAN-message to the AV-CAN, it is possible to bypass this nag-screen and go straight to radio/maps.

So I did what I do, and put the AV-CAN information onto the CAN message database. Anyone wanting to check out more on the AV-CAN, it is now here: https://github.com/dalathegreat/leaf_can_bus_messages/blob/master/AV-CAN.dbc

I'll post more info on how to inject the button presses tomorrow!

Do we have any idea what the raw temperatures in EVcan/CARcan msg 55a are? I'm thinking they may be motor/inverter internal or motor/charger coolant temperature. If we can find an upper bound on those values during driving and charging, it's possible they'll be low enough that those circuits could be plumbed for auxiliary trunk pack or main pack cooling (if someone makes a plumbed main pack). I seem to remember mux discussing cooling or thermal management at some point.

If they're usually above 40C, then they're likely not usable.

Dala said:
Tonight I did some more CAN-decoding. The Audio/Video (AV-CAN) is not very well documented on the Leaf. A recent discovery by Jonas Andersson piqued my interest, check this out:

By injecting a CAN-message to the AV-CAN, it is possible to bypass this nag-screen and go straight to radio/maps.

So I did what I do, and put the AV-CAN information onto the CAN message database. Anyone wanting to check out more on the AV-CAN, it is now here: https://github.com/dalathegreat/leaf_can_bus_messages/blob/master/AV-CAN.dbc

@Dala:

already some progress?

how and where inject your code?

virol said:
Dala said:

@Dala:

already some progress?

how and where inject your code?

Send it to the AV-CAN on the OBD2 port, AV-CAN-H (pin 11) AV-CAN-L (pin 3)

0x681 04 10 40 0D 8C FF FF FF //Flip between map and FM
0x681 04 10 40 0D A3 FF FF FF

0x681 03 10 20 0D FF FF FF FF //Turns off the radio

Send it to the AV-CAN on the OBD2 port, AV-CAN-H (pin 11) AV-CAN-L (pin 3)

0x681 04 10 40 0D 8C FF FF FF //Flip between map and FM
0x681 04 10 40 0D A3 FF FF FF

0x681 03 10 20 0D FF FF FF FF //Turns off the radio

@ dala,

thx for that already

do you have code for pressing the Ok button on the touchscreen at startup?

what do you think, is it possible to send these codes by a odb adapter with elm AT instructions, and so yes have you experiance into this by giving us a AT sequence to do such a thing

thx for your coding

virol said:
do you have code for pressing the Ok button on the touchscreen at startup?

what do you think, is it possible to send these codes by a odb adapter with elm AT instructions, and so yes have you experiance into this by giving us a AT sequence to do such a thing

thx for your coding

It should be as easy as sending that FM button keypress (or map).

In theory a standard bluetooth OBD2 adapter + smartphone app could send this, but the AV-CAN pins are not at the correct PINs, so you would need to make an adapter OBD2->OBD2 cable for it.

Easiest way to make a permanent mount is to code a small code on some CAN compatible device and permanently mount it on the car. Examples would be OVMS, Muxsan CAN-bridge, Arduino w/ CAN-shield, Raspberry PI with CAN interface etc. Anything goes :)

I think this has to be tried out today... I should make a low-cost CAN message sender version of the CAN bridge for this kind of stuff, the current CAN bridge is way too expensive and uses a bit too much power to just insert it everywhere in the car.

mux said:
I think this has to be tried out today... I should make a low-cost CAN message sender version of the CAN bridge for this kind of stuff, the current CAN bridge is way too expensive and uses a bit too much power to just insert it everywhere in the car.

@Mux

Great idea……

Perhaps some software that can send CAN messages over a LE dongle, so the dongle can be stay plugged in the car for use with leafspy and also for sending special CAN messages.

or
a hardware piece male/female ODB connectors housing with in between the µp for sending the CAN messages, so this can also stay plugged in together with the dongle for leafspy

Dala said:
Here is more information on how AV-CAN operates, kudos again to Jonas Andersson!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8rix9phhi57nkgr/leaf2015_av_button_can_messages.xlsx?dl=0

Thx for this extra info.....

When I understand it right, only hardware buttons can be generated by the AV-CAN bus

The OK button at each new startup of the car witch must be accepted on the touchscreen ( to accept NissanConnect) can NOT be generated then?

In the same context, as anybody the Can codes for the other hardware buttons (speedlimit, cancel, set, reset, etc) but then onto the EV Can bus

virol said:
@Mux

Great idea……

Perhaps some software that can send CAN messages over a LE dongle, so the dongle can be stay plugged in the car for use with leafspy and also for sending special CAN messages.

or
a hardware piece male/female ODB connectors housing with in between the µp for sending the CAN messages, so this can also stay plugged in together with the dongle for leafspy

AV-CAN is on different pins from the ordinary CAN used by Leafspy, so the cheap adapters won't be able to write to it. Most 2011-13 Leaf owners would probably be fine paying $20 for a nag-deleter - so maybe a cheap passthrough adapter with a single USB and CAN PHY would work.

I need to find out battery id for @Dala, but he's in Finland and i'm in US so he can't borrow me his tool. Does anybody know how to collect battery id from EV-CAN (H/L pins, 12/13 pins from under-dash OBD2) with some Arduino + wiring?

Andrey said:
I need to find out battery id for @Dala, but he's in Finland and i'm in US so he can't borrow me his tool. Does anybody know how to collect battery id from EV-CAN (H/L pins, 12/13 pins from under-dash OBD2) with some Arduino + wiring?

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13262

Back