Nissan issues software update to solve 30 kwh battery issues

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dooglas said:
SageBrush said:
When > 50% reach 10 years old and have at least 80% of new battery capacity remaining, we can say "some will do good."
For now, I'll guess that 80% are below 80% by year 3.
And that is a guess that has no basis in the real world as far as I know. Next month is 2019. That means a fair number of 30 kwh packs will have been on the road for 3 years quite soon. Okay, 80% below 80% by year 3. Let's check back and see how you did with that projection.
My guess has to be amended by the software update which now suggests ~ 24 kWh battery level degradation so 2.5% - 10% a year depending on climate.

Dooglas said:
And that is a guess that has no basis in the real world as far as I know. Next month is 2019. That means a fair number of 30 kwh packs will have been on the road for 3 years quite soon. Okay, 80% below 80% by year 3. Let's check back and see how you did with that projection.

Happy to report my SOH is 90.6% at 27 months and 26,000 miles. The table in inside ev website says I should have 84.96% after 27 months. I did lots of QC until my card expired, as well.

It's fairly easy to get over 90 miles range as long as it's not all freeway, and the last time I did it had just hit LBW, so at least a dozen more miles to spare. This with stock ecopia tires close to recommended pressure and the occasional use of the defroster.

To me the SW update worked as stated by the manufacturer.

https://insideevs.com/battery-capacity-loss-chart-2016-30-kwh-nissan-leaf/

Can a 2016 or 2017 Leaf owner who has a 30kwh battery please help me?

I have a 2016 S with a 30kwh battery with 62k on it that has just slipped to 10 bars. I took my car in to Richmond Nissan (in Vancouver, Canada) to tell me if the Software fix for the range and state of health software (and firmware?) that came out mid June 2018 for the Nissan Leaf had been done to my car. They had no idea what I was talking about. After showing them a few articles about the update, they then said my car came from the US and maybe a US dealer might know something. Nothing about it was in their database? After finally getting a obd2 dongle that works with LeafSpy, I was able to get some data, but do not know where to find the version of said software to determine if the fix was done to my car or not. Can someone be so kind to advise where this is in LeafSpy and what the version should be if fixed, so I can be put out of my misery? Overall like the car though.

Thank ahead of time!

Paul Edwards

^^^
I think these are it:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10143139-9999.pdf
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10143483-9999.pdf (NTB18-039)

I have a 2017 that has had the firmware update performed but I don't know if/where any information is displayed that would indicate this.

Personally, I'd try another dealer. It seems to me that the recall applied to Canadian cars as well as US cars so even if the car originally was sold in the US I think a competent dealer should be able to determine whether the update has been done. If there is a Canada-wide Nissan support line you might call them too. I would assume that if you gave them the VIN they could look it up and tell you if the update has been done.

goldbrick said:
I have a 2017 that has had the firmware update performed but I don't know if/where any information is displayed that would indicate this.

Personally, I'd try another dealer. It seems to me that the recall applied to Canadian cars as well as US cars so even if the car originally was sold in the US I think a competent dealer should be able to determine whether the update has been done. If there is a Canada-wide Nissan support line you might call them too. I would assume that if you gave them the VIN they could look it up and tell you if the update has been done.
Page 7 of https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10143483-9999.pdf should be a way of determining whether the update has been done.

It's possible that Leaf Spy Pro's read ECU versions also would show those values (needs update) or one not in that able. See https://flipthefleet.org/leaf-brakes-firmware-check/ about retrieving the ECU version. Perhaps PaulEdwards should put up a screenshot somewhere of that screen for his Leaf?

PaulEdwards said:
Can a 2016 or 2017 Leaf owner who has a 30kwh battery please help me?

I have a 2016 S with a 30kwh battery with 62k on it that has just slipped to 10 bars. I took my car in to Richmond Nissan (in Vancouver, Canada) to tell me if the Software fix for the range and state of health software (and firmware?) that came out mid June 2018 for the Nissan Leaf had been done to my car. They had no idea what I was talking about. After showing them a few articles about the update, they then said my car came from the US and maybe a US dealer might know something. Nothing about it was in their database? After finally getting a obd2 dongle that works with LeafSpy, I was able to get some data, but do not know where to find the version of said software to determine if the fix was done to my car or not. Can someone be so kind to advise where this is in LeafSpy and what the version should be if fixed, so I can be put out of my misery? Overall like the car though.

Thank ahead of time!

Paul Edwards

I can't imagine that they wouldn't know about the update. Its a "North American" update, not just US. I am fairly certain several Canadians have gotten it...but....TBH, I can't specifically think of any one person though...

EDIT

Ok, asked around and yeah, SEVERAL Canadians have gotten the update. In LEAF Spy, preupdate versions are listed as "A" or "B" versions. The update changes to "C" There is no other update that gives you "C"

The advice cwerdna gave seems like it would work but when I read my 'ECU version' I just got 1N4BZ0******* which I think is my VIN. Maybe it was pilot error but there weren't a lot of buttons to push. Anyway, OP give it try and if it doesn't work contact Nissan directly or another dealer. This kind of stuff just has to be in a database somewhere and you just need to find someone to take the time to look it up.

goldbrick said:
The advice cwerdna gave seems like it would work but when I read my 'ECU version' I just got 1N4BZ0******* which I think is my VIN. Maybe it was pilot error but there weren't a lot of buttons to push.
Were you looking at the top of your screen which would have the VIN? I'm think it'd be one of the ECUs further down, like battery. Was there a 293A0 anywhere? (Sorry, I don't have a 30 kWh Leaf so I can't check.)

goldbrick said:
The advice cwerdna gave seems like it would work but when I read my 'ECU version' I just got 1N4BZ0******* which I think is my VIN. Maybe it was pilot error but there weren't a lot of buttons to push. Anyway, OP give it try and if it doesn't work contact Nissan directly or another dealer. This kind of stuff just has to be in a database somewhere and you just need to find someone to take the time to look it up.

Its the battery you want to look at or ECU? maybe. Either way, its the only update that results in a version of "C"

Back