Is an unlocked, powered up outlet free game?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the USA, the popular slogan is "Innocent until Proven Guilty".

Yes, this is better than "Guilty when Accused".

But, in actuality, here it is "Guilty if Judged Guilty, even if Innocent".

In other cultures, it is more like "Guilty when you Do the Crime".

Which is more like, "Guilty even if Not Detected, Not Caught, or Not Proven".

DarkStar said:
I think the thread author probably hoped that there was an objective way, but given all the various responses, it's definitely subjective.

In cases where the owner makes it clear that charging is allowed then everyone agrees you can charge. In cases where the owner makes it clear that charging is not allowed then everyone agrees you cannot charge. I think the thread author may have hoped to reduce the grey area where the owner gives no signals or ambiguous signals, and people try to divine the owner's intent with custom, which is ambiguous. Some people here seem to feel fervently that their interpretation of custom is the one true interpretation.

Another thing everyone seems to agree on is that, in the absence of any clear signal from the owner, one good way to find out is to ask. The more people do that, and the sooner, then the sooner owners will become aware that there are EV's whose drivers want to charge, and who will patronize businesses which accommodate them, whether free, pay, or validation. So more businesses will open up charging. And more who will not allow charging will at least be prompted to communicate that fact, and so the grey area should recede.

Impark, a big chain of parking garages, makes it clear. I didn't care much when I read that though since I'm pretty sure the electrical in my garage barely works anyway.

Impark Terms & Conditions said:
14. Any power supplied at the parking facility is for block heater use only and is provided as a customer service only. The use of any interior car warmer is prohibited. We are not liable in the event that a vehicle fails to start, or for damage arising from use or malfunction of power or heaters. Use is at your own risk.

Back