Do electric cars exist?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
frontrangeleaf said:
Drop $10k into a 3-10 year old car based on a 10 year old design? Ummm, in a word, no. Still no.

Might turn into the collector’s car of the century, I suppose, but I have a long list of better things to drop $10k on.

$2-3k? Maybe. Probably not. The original Leaf just isn’t that compelling to me personally, even as an in-town runabout for reasons discussed above.

YMMV. I’m sure there are folks on this board who may feel differently.

Edit: clarified after re-reading the thread.

$10k is a ton, but hardly anyone in this thread seems to want a 70 kWh pack. Model 3 SR owners seem to get along fine with 50 kWh, even for road trips - that pack would be around 30% cheaper than one sized at 70 kWh. Most single-car owners I know have a hatchback or sedan; $3-7k for a car plus $4-8k for 300km worth of battery (with non-thermally-limited fast charging, meaning road trips aren't a nightmare) is something I've heard is decently compelling. Not "bust out the wallet, we're buying!" good, with gas at $1.50/gallon, but lukewarm good.

In the end, an upgraded Leaf is only a little cheaper than a used Bolt and likely harder to sell. Much cheaper than a Tesla, but lacks the cool factor and a few other things (speed, resale value, autopilot, being a vandalism magnet).

It makes sense for people who like specific aspects of the Leaf over other cars - its size, headroom, running costs, hatchback, the seats - or just plain don't want to buy a new car.

If my 2011 had not been totaled, I would likely be looking for a larger battery for it, but I would not want the complexity and extra energy consumption of active cooling. I would certainly be looking at a 40 kWh Nissan battery if available from a dealer with warranty, otherwise I would purchase a used 40 or 62 kWh pack and install it myself. There were several features I did not care for on the 2015 so I probably would not have upgraded it.

I expect the 2019 to meet my daily driving needs for a long time so I don't anticipate a battery replacement for at least 10 years.

coleafrado said:
frontrangeleaf said:
Drop $10k into a 3-10 year old car based on a 10 year old design? Ummm, in a word, no. Still no.

Might turn into the collector’s car of the century, I suppose, but I have a long list of better things to drop $10k on.

$2-3k? Maybe. Probably not. The original Leaf just isn’t that compelling to me personally, even as an in-town runabout for reasons discussed above.

YMMV. I’m sure there are folks on this board who may feel differently.

Edit: clarified after re-reading the thread.

$10k is a ton, but hardly anyone in this thread seems to want a 70 kWh pack. Model 3 SR owners seem to get along fine with 50 kWh, even for road trips - that pack would be around 30% cheaper than one sized at 70 kWh. Most single-car owners I know have a hatchback or sedan; $3-7k for a car plus $4-8k for 300km worth of battery (with non-thermally-limited fast charging, meaning road trips aren't a nightmare) is something I've heard is decently compelling. Not "bust out the wallet, we're buying!" good, with gas at $1.50/gallon, but lukewarm good.

In the end, an upgraded Leaf is only a little cheaper than a used Bolt and likely harder to sell. Much cheaper than a Tesla, but lacks the cool factor and a few other things (speed, resale value, autopilot, being a vandalism magnet).

It makes sense for people who like specific aspects of the Leaf over other cars - its size, headroom, running costs, hatchback, the seats - or just plain don't want to buy a new car.

I suppose. The value proposition of the gen2 is vastly more compelling on any number of grounds. It's just a better car all around. Not to mention easier on the eyes... It does depend on your use case. No question.

For us, ~60kWh is the bare minimum given today's technology ecosystem around the battery (control electronics, drivetrain, etc). Not because we "need" the range, but because we're not willing to sweat how we use the car as much as other folks apparently are. "Need" is relative. I've written in other threads that driving my car is not a video game to me. Attaching dongles and futzing around with software apps to squeeze the last few hundred yards of range is not my idea of a good time. I'm just flat not interested in all that.

Dramatically more than ~60kWh drives the price into a range that becomes prohibitive for our use case today. But I expect to upgrade to more capacity in our next EV for similar money in a few years. Our out of pocket for the Leaf + amounted to very similar money to a top of the line Corolla. The Leaf is a vastly nicer car than any Corolla - with apologies to all the Corolla lovers out there.

As to the EV experience, we don't worry about range. Ever. We don't worry about where the nearest charger is. Ever. We drive the car like any other car, except that we charge at home instead of making a stop somewhere else to refuel it. And we have fun with it. It's not a sports car, true, but it's definitely sporty. If someone more knowledgable than I were offering a suspension upgrade kit, I'd be interested. And a way to fix the ridiculously light steering, please. But range is not an issue. And it actually handles pretty well if you stay ahead of it, i.e. apply power at the right point in a turn.

We didn't buy this vehicle to take long over-the-road trips. Wrong tool for that. As I've written before, we don't take our roadster off-road, nor are we disappointed that we really couldn't. The Leaf plus can be taken on long road trips, but you're working pretty hard at it. We have the Q5 for that. Our position is that EVERY vehicle is compromise. So what compromise are you making, and does it fit your purpose?

I might add that I'm a senior guy in IT - not a technophobe here. My experience in IT colors my views, but not in the ways some might expect. I think Tesla's giant touch screen is a giant step backwards in ergonomics - a deal killer for me. No thank you. My 14.5 cents of course. Plenty of folks love their touch screens in their car. I think that "targeting" is real issue, requiring the user to take their eyes off the road for far too long while they try to land on a software control.

That's a great idea on a tablet, but a horrible idea in a car, despite some really cool software behind it in the Teslas. Nicely done. Now give me my stalk controls back. No, I'm not going to dig around through any menu system to fine tune what the wipers are doing. No thank you. This is not progress. And no, the auto wipers don't always do what I want them to do, nor is "autopilot" 100% a replacement for watching the road. There are other ergonomic solutions available that are superior. And for Tesla money, you have to get it right.

All that said, I'm glad to see folks seriously running the numbers to explore how to make a battery replacement aftermarket work. For the sake of all those gen1 Leaf lovers out there, I hope you succeed.

For the sake of the environment, I hope all EV owners have an affordable replacement pack option in the near future. When my LEAF's range no longer meets my needs, I'll feel pretty guilty and bummed out if I can't upgrade the battery pack for $5k or less.

The needs of the masses cover every conceivable scenario so yeah, someone will pay $10 K to upgrade a 9 year old car but that market is small and shrinking daily.

Personally, I doubt 70 kwh could be pulled off for $10 K in most cases. What is the value of an 8 or 9 bar 24 kwh LEAF pack? Definitely not $6K.

As far as the comment that Model 3 standards are just fine for road trips; I know a few that will dispute that especially come Winter. Granted, its an EV and comes with a level of compromise but I know two people who still were taken by surprise (not sure why because I gave them a pretty good idea of what to expect and I was not wrong) which brings me to the point of money.

$10 K on a used car is like $15 K on a new car. Its all relative. Age matters. I have often wondered what I would have paid to upgrade my 2011 (more likely my 2013 since it had the Weather package) and I am conflicted. My 2013 was a LOT cheaper than my 2011 which one would expect going from a fully loaded SL (FYI; there weren't many options then) to an S with weather and charge.

But the S had what I wanted to pay for. The SL had what? NAV? which I still consider one of the WORST use of money in an automobile purchase. Now, it did have a CD player which I liked but even that isn't worth extra any more. To make a long story longer, If I did pay $10K for the battery upgrade on my 2013, it still would have come in cheaper than my 2011.

But that is how progress goes, right?

$10 K into a $7K car with 5 year old electronics? Even if I got a 60 KWH battery with a 100K/8 Year warranty, it doesn't make make it a $15K car. Without active cooling, my guess is that the battery might make it past the warranty but not much more in my climate.

cwerdna said:
It's a poll based upon a hypothetical situation... What the OP proposes doesn't exist.

This isn't necessarily a product that will actually happen, but more of a thought experiment; don't get your hopes up.

To rephrase this: it isn't a product, and won't happen, unless someone in China gets the bright idea to do it and export upgraded packs or one of the startups actually starts producing something of value. I personally do not have the capital or the time or any incentive to start up a production plant for aftermarket batteries particularly when demand for them, as seen in the past ten pages, is so lukewarm. Since everyone seems intent on owning a Tesla, perhaps the more environmentally friendly option would be to crush old Leafs when their batteries die.

gncndad said:
RonSwanson said:
I'd never put $10k into a car worth $5k (or so).

...especially one with a paper-thin paint job...My 2015 still LOOKS okay, but yikes, the paint is thin.

That's the case with all factory automotive paint processing, i.e. a thin color coat with multiple coats of clear.
Once the buffing removes the clear, the color is "done".

But you'd spend $10-15k over the next decade or two on gasoline for an ordinary ICE car worth $5k, right? Seems like people are treating transport as a Veblen good. The market doesn't magically owe you a cheap EV battery just because your car has depreciated.

coleafrado said:
But you'd spend $10-15k over the next decade or two on gasoline for an ordinary ICE car worth $5k, right? Seems like people are treating transport as a Veblen good.
Electricity is expensive in PG&E-land. If I didn't have free L2 charging at work and had to depend on charging at home, fueling an EV isn't significantly cheaper than putting gasoline in a Prius. I had an 06 Prius for over 13 years.

Examples:
Page 1 of https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/pdf/tariffbook/ELEC_SCHEDS_E-1.pdf is ur default non-TOU plan. The baselines are intentionally designed to be insufficient for the "average" household, so figure each marginal kWh used to fuel an EV is in tier 2 (30.6 cents/kWh) or could push your into tier 3 (38.3 cents/kWh).

Even if you signed up the EV2 plan: https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/pdf/tariffbook/ELEC_SCHEDS_EV2%20(Sch).pdf (see pages 2 and 3), electricity at off-peak is cheap (16.6 cents/kWh) but they kill you at all other hours (33.4 to 47.8 cents/kWh).

Seems like a California-specific problem. I'm used to the "extreme" pricing of Xcel and CL&P an ConEd at 10-15 cents with no caps.

coleafrado said:
Seems like a California-specific problem. I'm used to the "extreme" pricing of Xcel and CL&P an ConEd at 10-15 cents with no caps.
Some other states have expensive electricity. Hawaii is pretty bad and their electricity prices are tied to the price of oil, as well.

IIRC, some of the NE like NY isn't cheap either. https://www.eia.gov/electricity/monthly/epm_table_grapher.php?t=epmt_5_6_a has some figures but in the past, I recall some of their figures (possibly that of California) were suspect.

BTW, to give an example about fueling Prius vs. Leaf:
- $3.30 / gal / 43 mpg = 7.67 cents/mile (when I was still tracking mileage on my Prius, my lifetime avg was about 44 mpg)
- $0.306 / kWh / 4 miles/kWh = 7.65 cents/mile

cwerdna said:
coleafrado said:
Some other states have expensive electricity. Hawaii is pretty bad and their electricity prices are tied to the price of oil, as well.

IIRC, some of the NE like NY isn't cheap either. https://www.eia.gov/electricity/monthly/epm_table_grapher.php?t=epmt_5_6_a has some figures but in the past, I recall some of their figures (possibly that of California) were suspect.

BTW, to give an example about fueling Prius vs. Leaf:
- $3.30 / gal / 43 mpg = 7.67 cents/mile (when I was still tracking mileage on my Prius, my lifetime avg was about 44 mpg)
- $0.306 / kWh / 4 miles/kWh = 7.65 cents/mile
If you live in SoCal or some other place with insane electric costs, then a Leaf or any other BEV doesn't make sense if you have to charge at standard rates. There are however some special rates available for overnight charging. Even better is to install solar PV to offset use. There's a high initial cost but systems can pay for themselves in 3-4 years and then generate free power for 30 years or more. When you pay $.40/kwh for power it's amazing how fast a 5 KW system pays for itself. If you live in an area with$.10-$.12/kwh power then even if you have to charge at standard rates, BEV's win hands down.

I hadn't thought of the cost of the replacement battery as a offset to the cost of gas. If you look at that way, you could offset $4000-$5000 of the cost but not $10000 and the value of the car after an additional 5-6 years is down to a couple thousand dollars at best. Still probably better to buy a newer model off-lease and apply that $10K to the down payment instead. Trade in the older car for $6K or so and you could come close to a break even deal compared to the cost to refurbish the older car.

If you live in SoCal or some other place with insane electric costs, then a Leaf or any other BEV doesn't make sense if you have to charge at standard rates.

It doesn't make financial sense. It still makes environmental sense, and it still makes sense if you hate ICE vehicles.

Back