Do electric cars exist?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
If you live in SoCal or some other place with insane electric costs, then a Leaf or any other BEV doesn't make sense if you have to charge at standard rates.

It doesn't make financial sense. It still makes environmental sense, and it still makes sense if you hate ICE vehicles.
Or love electric driving.

Totally agree. We bought our first Leaf to save money, and make an impression on the kids. We try to only drive the EV now, because the experience is just so much better (whether you drive a Leaf, Bolt, Kona, or Tesla).

Now to get Solar on our roof.

Even figuring in savings given cheap TOU Colorado pricing (about 8 cents/kWh best case), it's hard to make a case for an old design car. We also don't drive that far in a year, so the savings just don't add up. The gen1 Leaf is fine as a super affordable second car, but not worthy of any significant investment beyond acquisition.

When we bought the Leaf last year, I figured we'd save about $700/yr in diesel for the Q5 net net. In practice, with my wife not driving and working very part-time, it's been a fraction of that. Longer term, we're looking at selling all the cars and the camper, buying one mid-sized EV CUV for general around town transportation needs, and renting a vehicle when we want to road trip. That would save us a sizable 4-figure number in insurance alone every year, and removes all the hoorah around trying to road trip in an EV.

We're only holding onto the status quo in the hope that my wife recovers enough to drive again. At this point, that's looking increasingly less likely, unfortunately. We will keep the Q for as long as we have the camper and want to tow. After that, it will be one EV and solar on our next house - too many trees here to make solar work, and we will want something nearer to light-rail anyway.

frontrangeleaf said:
Even figuring in savings given cheap TOU Colorado pricing (about 8 cents/kWh best case), it's hard to make a case for an old design car. We also don't drive that far in a year, so the savings just don't add up. The gen1 Leaf is fine as a super affordable second car, but not worthy of any significant investment beyond acquisition.
A gen1 Leaf needs the following to be more economical: second car, cool climate, high gas prices, low electric ("hydro" for those in Canada) rates and a long enough commute to recover the higher initial cost and not long enough to over stress the battery capacity. A fairly narrow window.

Larger and more robust battery expands the window. As does improved DCQC and destination charging availability. Steady improvement.

Back