COVID-19 aka 2019 (and 2020) Novel Coronavirus

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The image is viewable by right-clicking on the word "Image" but then the only way out of viewing it is to close the browser or browser tab - at least with Firefox.

These Florida anti-maskers are nuts!
https://www.reddit.com/r/awfuleverything/comments/hg6htb/these_antimaskers_from_florida/

A surprise birthday party that resulted in 18 people testing positive for the coronavirus has left a North Texas man horrified as his father continues to fight for his life in the hospital
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/birthday-party-leaves-18-texas-family-coronavirus-71465523
Ron Barbosa, who is married to a doctor and refused to attend the May 30 party for his daughter-in-law because of safety concerns amid the COVID-19 pandemic, said those hospitalized included his parents, both in their 80's, and his sister, who is also battling breast cancer.

Founder of ReOpen Movement Who Refused Masks Tests Positive for Coronavirus
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/founder-of-reopen-movement-who-refused-masks-tests-positive-for-coronavirus/ar-BB161xdL?li=BBnbfcL
Walters suggested that those he has recently come into contact with should monitor their symptoms. However, he is refusing to cooperate with Maryland contact tracers by providing any personal information that could help them contain the virus.

My sister totaled her car this week. She more or less walked away from it - banged up but ambulatory - and immediately enlisted me to help her find a replacement car. We settled on a Kia Rondo at a wholesale type dealership, but when we did the paperwork, the mask stayed around the owner's neck. He kept ranting about how Cuomo (our Governor) had ruined the state's economy, and how he didn't even know anyone with a COLD, much less CV. He then assured us that he sanitized his cars. I was wearing a KN95 mask and eyeglasses, but I'm still fearing the worst. looking at the videos of parties, and seeing what I see on my bike rides, I'm reminded of just how not rational our species is. We can engage a rational mode, if we are trained for it, but generally our default mode is "Fairly Smart Monkey."

Yes let's hope for good days. But we should probably be real and plan on getting the trumpvirus so have your affairs in order.

The coronavirus is still raging, particularly in states like Texas, Arizona and Florida. We already know what it takes to beat it. We just need to do it.

As infection rates rapidly rise in many red states, Senate Republicans can and should legislate to protect their constituents and their country. It’s good politics to save lives while saving the economy. They can start by taking a page from other advanced market economies that managed to turn the corner on the pandemic and safely restore normalcy. In addition to mask-wearing, these countries have all adopted a strategy to test, trace and isolate the virus out of circulation.

Taiwan was the first country to use it effectively. Applying lessons gleaned from SARS, which emerged in Asia in 2002, Taiwan immediately traced (and closely studied) its first 100 cases. It was able to avoid community spread altogether — topping out at 447 total cases — without a lockdown. South Korea was slower, but eventually suppressed its outbreak to fewer than 13,000 cases without a widespread lockdown. Germany, Australia and New Zealand have all adopted the same strategy to avoid reinstating their lockdowns. By detecting and containing new outbreaks before they spread, these market economies plan to stay open, resilient and competitive, while America’s economy loses ground amid new waves of infection.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/29/opinion/republicans-coronavirus.html

WetEV said:
The coronavirus is still raging, particularly in states like Texas, Arizona and Florida. We already know what it takes to beat it. We just need to do it.

As infection rates rapidly rise in many red states, Senate Republicans can and should legislate to protect their constituents and their country. It’s good politics to save lives while saving the economy. They can start by taking a page from other advanced market economies that managed to turn the corner on the pandemic and safely restore normalcy. In addition to mask-wearing, these countries have all adopted a strategy to test, trace and isolate the virus out of circulation.

Taiwan was the first country to use it effectively. Applying lessons gleaned from SARS, which emerged in Asia in 2002, Taiwan immediately traced (and closely studied) its first 100 cases. It was able to avoid community spread altogether — topping out at 447 total cases — without a lockdown. South Korea was slower, but eventually suppressed its outbreak to fewer than 13,000 cases without a widespread lockdown. Germany, Australia and New Zealand have all adopted the same strategy to avoid reinstating their lockdowns. By detecting and containing new outbreaks before they spread, these market economies plan to stay open, resilient and competitive, while America’s economy loses ground amid new waves of infection.

Some family members recently learned they'd been exposed to someone who contracted the virus. They sought testing and were told it would be a week's wait. So much for testing and isolating. But "SLOW THE TESTING DOWN PLEASE" is what we get from POTUS.

Which may have been
- what he meant
- not what he meant
- he was kidding
- he was not kidding
- sarcastic
- he never said it -- FAKE NEWS!
- all of the above

Nubo said:
Some family members recently learned they'd been exposed to someone who contracted the virus. They sought testing and were told it would be a week's wait. So much for testing and isolating. But "SLOW THE TESTING DOWN PLEASE" is what we get from POTUS.

Wife's eldest daughter had a birthday party 2 weekends ago. Just for immediate family, but we weren't invited because it was already well known how we would have responsded. It was a stupid idea.

Of course, somebody at the party that day brought Coronavirus with them and the two grand-daughters got sick with it. One pretty severely, but not enough to need a hospital stay, and the other just with mild symptoms (including the loss of taste you hear about). Everyone else at the party had been tested and came back negative as of this weekend.

Needless to say, that side of the family are the ones who support Trump.

CDC says U.S. has ‘way too much virus’ to control pandemic as cases surge across country
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/29/cdc-says-us-has-way-too-much-virus-to-control-pandemic-as-cases-surge-across-country.html

What this means is runaway pandemic in large areas of the country until a good vaccine is widely available - and then another 6-12 months after that. I wonder if places like New York will be able to maintain our relative control, because social distancing and mask wearing are already breaking down all over. It looks like we are taking the cruel "herd immunity" route to the other side...leaving hundreds of thousands or more to die while we do.

LeftieBiker said:
What this means is runaway pandemic in large areas of the country until a good vaccine is widely available - and then another 6-12 months after that. I wonder if places like New York will be able to maintain our relative control, because social distancing and mask wearing are already breaking down all over. It looks like we are taking the cruel "herd immunity" route to the other side...leaving hundreds of thousands or more to die while we do.
I disagree.

I suspect that nightly news of people dying while waiting in their cars to get into the hospital where the outbreaks are will revive mask wearing even in less hit areas.

We are a long ways from herd immunity. NYC would need to go through two more outbreaks like the last one to get there. Most places would need three outbreaks like that... and don't have the medical resources to support the critical cases.

LeftieBiker said:

I'm not even sure it's the goal of "herd immunity" that is driving it. It's more like social Darwinism. Basically they're asking: "Why should I have to sacrifice just to save some old and/or "weak" people"? Along with the belief that they themselves are unlikely to be damaged.

Nubo said:
I'm not even sure it's the goal of "herd immunity" that is driving it. It's more like social Darwinism. Basically they're asking: "Why should I have to sacrifice just to save some old and/or "weak" people"? Along with the belief that they themselves are unlikely to be damaged.

Plus, they've been conditioned by Dear Leader and his flunkies to believe it's a hoax, or at least hugely overblown. So there's that.

I'm not saying that herd immunity is any kind of "goal." I'm saying that because too many of us don't have the discipline to do what is needed (or even the proper information instilled in us), herd immunity is what will happen. And yes, I understand what that means. Human nature being what it is, and this virus being what it is, survival instinct will kick in too late in the pandemic process. We are a reactive species, not a proactive one.

LeftieBiker said:
I'm not saying that herd immunity is any kind of "goal." I'm saying that because too many of us don't have the discipline to do what is needed (or even the proper information instilled in us), herd immunity is what will happen. And yes, I understand what that means. Human nature being what it is, and this virus being what it is, survival instinct will kick in too late in the pandemic process. We are a reactive species, not a proactive one.

Is heard immunity a guarantee though? I thought I saw a study a week or two back suggesting antibodies to this particular virus may only last a few months, meaning you can get it again. And again. Even the flu shot, if it works, does not work forever, right? Of course if everyone got the virus at the same time, a few months would then be enough for it to die out. That seems quite unlikely though.

Is heard immunity a guarantee though?

I'm not sure where these 'goals' and 'guarantees' are coming from. Herd immunity is what nature evolved to try to stop whole species from being wiped out. If there is no effective vaccine and no vast majority effort to stop the spread, we may die out. More likely we will just stumble on until the next one, with a few tens of millions less of us.

Back