Is there an easy way to tell the battery health of a 2018 Leaf like for the 2017- models?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicholas

We've been searching for a new Leaf, likely 2016 or 2017, but some recent responses we've received here have had us consider if a 2018 makes more sense if we can find one cheap enough.

I did find one that might work, but when I look at the photo of the dash I no longer see any capacity bars. Instead, I just see a partly filled battery icon (like a smartphone) with a percentage in it. I don't even see a range indicator.

Is there a way on 2018s to determine general battery health that I can walk a remote dealer through? Google just keeps showing me videos and articles about 2017 and older models.

So apparently I was looking so hard for some minor detail that would give a clue, that I missed the giant number in the middle of the dash. Whoops!

The car I'm looking at shows 16% charge and 21 miles range. If I divide and multiply I end up with a max range of 131. That's only 87% of the rated capacity, which seems like a bad sign. But does 16% really mean 16%? And is the range estimate affected by driving style? I hope there's a better way to gauge battery health than this? :p

Yes, you can check the battery health on the 2018 and up models. You just need to use the steering wheel controls to cycle through various screens on the dash (when the car is on) until you get to the "Battery Capacity" screen.

To get to that screen, use the left and right arrow keys on the steering wheel to move over to the farthest left menu, then cycle down through the screens until you get to the screen labeled "Battery Capacity". It will show a battery gauge, most likely that's fully filled in (all grey). I've never heard of a 2018 that's lost a bar yet.

The extrapolation you were trying to do is meaningless as far as battery health, as range is based on recent driving conditions, so, it's not reflective of capacity.

You can also use LeafSpy on the 2018. There was talk that Nissan was going to scramble the information provided by the BMS, but aside from the "Hx" info, it's still all the same.

Back