2016-2017 model year 30 kWh bar losers and capacity losses

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GM is not going to build any new EV this year and Ford is still at the preliminary stage for the F150 and Mustang EV's.

I believe that the Mustang E or whatever it's called is shipping in about three or four months. I don't think the F150 EV is being built yet.

LeftieBiker said:
GM is not going to build any new EV this year and Ford is still at the preliminary stage for the F150 and Mustang EV's.

I believe that the Mustang E or whatever it's called is shipping in about three or four months. I don't think the F150 EV is being built yet.

The Mustang is being designed by engineers working from home (that's according to FordMoCo). It's not likely to enter pre-production until fall and production maybe by January if there are no snags. If there are problems, it might be second quarter or later.

johnlocke said:
LeftieBiker said:

The Mustang is being designed by engineers working from home (that's according to FordMoCo). It's not likely to enter pre-production until fall and production maybe by January if there are no snags. If there are problems, it might be second quarter or later.

Maybe the production lines are being designed, and bugs may be undergoing eradication, but there are pre-production fully built cars being driven as of several months ago. The car itself is already designed.

Hi.
Any information about which SOC range HX varies in the 30kwh Leafs with 9 bars?
My first observations with leafspy seem to indicate that HX, in my 30kwh leaf with 71% SOH, only oscillate between 50 and 100% SOC. Below this, it never goes up or down.🙄🙄

LeftieBiker said:
We haven't found Hx to be a useful measurement for Leaf drivers. I would therefore not worry about what it does.

As far as I know, HX represents the first indicator of what will happen to AHr and SOH. When HX increases, AHr and SOH increases and vice versa. Its variation seems, in my opinion, a good indicator of what happens to SOH.

June update. 307 GID's 67.18 AH, SOH=84.52%, Hx=62.11%, 79144 total mi. 34215 mi on new battery. 21 DCFC and 665 l2 charges on the new battery. Battery is averaging .7%/mo loss over 23 months. Significantly better than the original battery but still I'll be lucky to get 75000 mi. out of it. That would be driving it down to a 4 bar loss and a sixty mi range. On the other hand, I'm down to driving less than 600 mi/mo with the Covid thing. Still expecting to get something else after I hit 100K. The Model Y is in the lead now but I'd like to have more choices. GM and Ford look to be out of the running (neither has actually started production) and the VW bunch is having big-time software problems and they can't seem to get away from DieselGate which still could cost them billions. I like the ID 4 a lot and the cost with Federal and state incentives could bring the cost down to under $30K which would make it competitive against a Tesla Model 3. I'd also like to see a single motor Y with the larger battery @ $44K or thereabouts. The Koreans could surprise me as well. The Cybertruck is an outside shot but I don't see it showing up until late 2021 or 2022 and I'd have to convince myself that I would want to drive a full size truck all the time. I've done that before and parking is such a pain plus climbing in and out. Maybe if the air suspension automatically lowers itself in park?

Note: I made an error in the reported GID's value which I have corrected. 307 vs 304 as originally reported.

Just started intermittently losing the first bar at 85.4%. Last time this went on for a couple of months before losing it permanently.

July update. 306 GID's 66.81 AH, SOH=84.06%, Hx=61.36%, 79803 total mi. 34874 mi on new battery. 21 DCFC and 685 l2 charges on the new battery. Lower loss rate is likely because I'm driving a lot less. The fist bar has permanently disappeared. It did flicker on and off for several days but it finally disappeared for good. As long as the Covid thing is going on, I'm going to be driving a lot less so the car will last a bit longer then I originally expected but I expect that 100,000 mi. is about the limit of what I can tolerate. I'll be down to 70-75% of the original range and at that point, it becomes difficult to do my usual commute without charging in town somewhere. If don't have to make that commute anymore, then the car will be good up to maybe 120,000 mi. but will be down to 8 bars by then. I had originally hoped that the battery would last 160,000 mi. before needing to be replaced but now I'm on the second battery and it won't make it past 120K. At least the second battery might be good for 70-75K. Too bad I didn't get the 40KWH upgrade.

^^^
Thanks for keeping us up to date.

I'm still enjoying the range and thermal management of my Bolt. I made a trip today to the Taco Bell in Pacifica (by the beach) which is ~55 miles from home, one way almost all highway. Even if my 11 bar '13 Leaf had CHAdeMO, it would've been no fun.

Even though I left home w/about 75% SoC, I had plenty to make it home but I've stopped to get free CCS juice sorta on the way thanks to DrivetheARC (limited part of Nor Cal to Tahoe only). Thermal management kicked on while charging once I was at about 75% SoC.

johnlocke said:
July update. 306 GID's 66.81 AH, SOH=84.06%, Hx=61.36%, 79803 total mi. 34874 mi on new battery. 21 DCFC and 685 l2 charges on the new battery. Lower loss rate is likely because I'm driving a lot less. The fist bar has permanently disappeared. It did flicker on and off for several days but it finally disappeared for good. As long as the Covid thing is going on, I'm going to be driving a lot less so the car will last a bit longer then I originally expected but I expect that 100,000 mi. is about the limit of what I can tolerate. I'll be down to 70-75% of the original range and at that point, it becomes difficult to do my usual commute without charging in town somewhere. If don't have to make that commute anymore, then the car will be good up to maybe 120,000 mi. but will be down to 8 bars by then. I had originally hoped that the battery would last 160,000 mi. before needing to be replaced but now I'm on the second battery and it won't make it past 120K. At least the second battery might be good for 70-75K. Too bad I didn't get the 40KWH upgrade.

Thanks. While for some reason before we got our 2016 Leaf SL it's battery pack lost SOH at a rate of 12% annually. After 5 months with the 40 kWa I hope to see an annual loss rate of 6%. Yesterday I noticed at 70% SOC the remaining range was 107 miles. The old 30kWa pack at 100% SOC range was down to 60 miles which meant I was charging it twice some days. I have not read of any 30 to 40 upgrades since COVID-19 struck.

Today is the 3 year anniversary of my 2017 S Leaf purchase. Stats are below. Note that I was at 92.5% SOH in Dec 2017 before the BMS firmware update. I still can get > 100 miles on a full charge in my normal driving (half city, half 55-65 mph highway).

Kw8Cfjp.png

goldbrick said:
Today is the 3 year anniversary of my 2017 S Leaf purchase. Stats are below. Note that I was at 92.5% SOH in Dec 2017 before the BMS firmware update. I still can get > 100 miles on a full charge in my normal driving (half city, half 55-65 mph highway).

Kw8Cfjp.png

That's very good values.

Our 2016 SL at the same milage had SOH of 64% with a range 60-65 miles. Do you let it charge to 100%.

August update. 302 GID's 66.02 AH, SOH=83.07%, Hx=59.70%, 80550 total mi. 35629 mi on new battery. 22 DCFC and 702 l2 charges on the new battery. Even though I'm driving less, the battery is still deteriorating fairly rapidly in the hot weather. I lost another 4 GID's this month despite only driving about 750 miles. It's not as bad as the old battery in hot weather but it still shows up as higher losses during hot weather. As a comparison, after 25 months, the old battery was down to 68% vs 83% for the new one. I can probably get another year out of this battery before it becomes a real problem to drive. If the battery continues to fail at this rate and my driving continues to be light, I might manage to get a new battery before I hit 100K. It seems more likely that I hit 100K at about 70% SOH and no new battery for me.

Hey Goldbrick - looks like your car is my car’s twin! Can’t post pics but data for my 3 year old is similar to yours:

AHr 74.11
SOH 93.24%
Hx 80.22%
Cell voltage min-max 13 mv
odo 11,016
7 QCs & 405 L1/L2s

I’m sure if I charged to 100% a few times the numbers would go up.

I used to charge to 100% every few months to balance the cells and I've charged to near 100% a few times while stuck in a meeting at work but lately I only charge to 70-80%. I've been doing a lot of L1 charging at home overnight lately since I need to boost my annual electrical consumption so I can put more than 6 panels on my roof :? After the August bill I should be able to put 8-10 panels on the roof and then I'm going to install L2 in the garage. I like to charge at night during the summer even though I get free charging at work.

hello, I have a 2017 with 21,579 miles and have now lost a 2nd bar, I lost the first bar at 18,129 miles back in Sept of 2019. I'm concerned that I am now down another bar at under 22k miles, and my driving for the past 6 months has been very limited (store and back mostly - no highway, no daily commute since I'm working from home) Even when I was going into the office I took side roads. As for charging, I have only used a fast charger once, and according to LeafSpy it was only fast charged once by the previous owner. I purchased the care preowned with 8k miles on it in April of 2018 It was manufactured in May 2017. I don't leave it connected to the charging unit, I don't charge everyday, I only top off when I know I need to make sure I have enough to get where I'm going. Should I be concerned? It seems concerning LeafSpy shows the SOH as 77.83

Has your vehicle had the update done to it that corrects a SW bug that reports accelerated degradation on low-mileage 2016-2017 30kWh LEAFs? You will need to visit a Nissan workshop to have this verified.

From what you describe, your vehicle has all of the characteristics of a car that has not had the SW patch done.

Here are some articles for reference that describe the issue and the fix:

https://insideevs.com/nissan-issues-software-fix-for-2016-17-leaf-battery-reporting-issues/

http://cleanfleetreport.com/exclusive-nissan-leaf-battery-fix/

http://cleanfleetreport.com/exclusive-documents-from-nissan-leaf-battery-issue/

LeftieBiker said:
It would appear that the above is one of the 30kwh Leafs that proves that the BMS "Bug" is not always a bug, or incorrect.

That is certainly a possibility. There are always outliers in every universe.

Back