Nissan Connect on 2016 leaf import to Canada from the US

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Linus said:
I have a similar experience with my 2016. I called Nissan yesterday and the lady was very helpful. We setup a US account, everything works except getting the car to connect (like everyone else's experience above). What the lady from Nissan said is I have to be in the USA to get the original connection, I believe from there that their system will see it as a US car traveling in Canada.

I am fortunate that I live outside of Vancouver and travel to Washington regularly (well I used to as gas is up to 40% cheaper there). I'm hoping to go down in the next week or so and see if it works.

For those that live near the border if it works, it is an easy workaround.

I'll report back when I get a chance to test it.

I look forward to what you find out. I'm thinking that once the initial connection is made you will be good.

Well, I went to Washington. I was able to successfully get the car connected. Had to try 3 times but on the third try it connected and updated a bunch of stuff.

I was very disappointed that after returning to Canada, the connection dropped and it doesn't work.

Not sure what to try next.

Linus said:
Well, I went to Washington. I was able to successfully get the car connected. Had to try 3 times but on the third try it connected and updated a bunch of stuff.

I was very disappointed that after returning to Canada, the connection dropped and it doesn't work.

So it sounds like they have shut down roaming then.

It would be nice if the car could connect to wifi. If it's sitting in my driveway I should be able to access the car through my homes wireless router.

Has anyone found a solution for US 2016 Leaf NissanConnect in Canada? I'm upgrading from a US 2015 Leaf which had a working NissanConnect so I was quite disappointed to find out that it doesn't work with the 2016s.

Let us know. Thanks,
Mike

michelb said:
Has anyone found a solution for US 2016 Leaf NissanConnect in Canada? I'm upgrading from a US 2015 Leaf which had a working NissanConnect so I was quite disappointed to find out that it doesn't work with the 2016s.

Let us know. Thanks,
Mike

Nope, Nissan has been useless to the point that I will never buy another one of their cars new or used.

Linus said:
michelb said:

Let us know. Thanks,
Mike

Nope, Nissan has been useless to the point that I will never buy another one of their cars new or used.

Funny you should say that because that's how I feel right now !!!

It's not a huge deal but I like having access to the app (particularly in the winter when I use the remove climate control pretty much every day!)

alozzy said:
If you leave at around the same time everyday, the climate control timer is very reliable.

I use that as well but it's not nearly the same (e.g. if it's -20C and I want to go somewhere in the evening, having the timer set for 7:00AM doesn't help me).

We also have use the charge timer (we have time-of-use rates so typically only charge off-peak but if I know I need to use the car outside my "regular hours", I might use the app to turn on charging. I also use the app when charging in public to know when I'm almost full and I can move my car.

LeeZ said:
Linus said:

It would be nice if the car could connect to wifi. If it's sitting in my driveway I should be able to access the car through my homes wireless router.
I guess a solution would be to get to try to get a SIM that's compatible w/the TCU and swap it out. Not sure if one might need to change settings on the head unit (like an APN) to go w/the carrier.

cwerdna said:
LeeZ said:
Linus said:

I guess a solution would be to get to try to get a SIM that's compatible w/the TCU and swap it out. Not sure if one might need to change settings on the head unit (like an APN) to go w/the carrier.

I've asked and I was told this was not possible (which I'm a bit skeptical about). Nissan Customer Service told me that there is no way to get NissanConnect on a US Leaf in Canada (although the first one Customer Service told me it wasn't possible because I only had a 2G TCU which is not correct so I tend to take what they say with a grain of salt).

^^^
They probably don't want people to or know about swapping out the SIM from the TCU. And, I'm guessing they don't want to be in the business of coming up w/support documentation about which carrier, which plan, frequencies, setup, etc. besides any carrier specific wonkiness there might be.

https://web.archive.org/web/20161231011203/https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=148255 shows what the old 2G TCU looked like inside.

Anyway, if I were in Canada and wanted it to work so badly, if nobody has reported yet on whether it works or not, access the TCU, determine what size SIM you need and try putting in one of the right size. It looks like there's some carrier selection screen on the nav system. I sure hope the TCU isn't carrier locked (e.g. to AT&T). That would be so stupid as it'd only make sense for phones coming from carriers, esp. subsidized ones.

Back