Why would anyone buy a nissan leaf right now???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BrockWI said:
I have found the opposite to be true, I have gone through 3 sets of Ecopia's, lasting 14,100, 13,900 (on VW Jetta wagon) and 11,900 I thought the first set was just they were not "plus", the second set of plus's were from a random local dealer and the third set was from Tire Rack, 3 times shame on me. Then I went to Michelin Energy Savers that went 23,555, and the last set is Michelin Defenders with 33,800 but are close to done.

I had an alignment done with each new set (none were outside spec) and rotated at 5k. Tires (and alignments) were the most expensive part of this car per mile before we hit 70k, now with the Defenders just finally being less than the juice to move it :)

The best miles to kWh were the stock non-plus's with a close second Michelin energy savers. The lowest are not surprisingly the Defenders, not the Michelin x-ice's I run all winter.

Again, its the driver and the conditions. You need to look at what others in your area are getting out of theirs.

European discounts for the Leaf and NV200 continue to rise. It will be interesting to see how much this boosts sales. I get the feeling the 40 battery has become very cheap for them to produce.

https://www.turbo.pt/nissan-leaf-incentivo/

BrockWI said:
I have found the opposite to be true, I have gone through 3 sets of Ecopia's, lasting 14,100, 13,900 (on VW Jetta wagon) and 11,900 I thought the first set was just they were not "plus", the second set of plus's were from a random local dealer and the third set was from Tire Rack, 3 times shame on me. Then I went to Michelin Energy Savers that went 23,555, and the last set is Michelin Defenders with 33,800 but are close to done.

I had an alignment done with each new set (none were outside spec) and rotated at 5k. Tires (and alignments) were the most expensive part of this car per mile before we hit 70k, now with the Defenders just finally being less than the juice to move it :)

The best miles to kWh were the stock non-plus's with a close second Michelin energy savers. The lowest are not surprisingly the Defenders, not the Michelin x-ice's I run all winter.

My OEM Ecopia non-plus (2015 LeafS) would have lasted 35k, accident took one out, so I replaced all 4. The current EcopiaPlus are wearing exceptionally well, even, no balance issues. Should go at least 40k, all local driving (stop and go).

Have EcopiaPlus on a 2018 Prius Two (15s), with 23k miles, and they look brand new. Also on a 2018 PriusFourTouring (17s), with 29k miles, they look good for another 30k, at least.

We're all very gentle drivers. Assertive, for sure, but gentle on the starting/stopping. I could easily wear out any tires on the the LeafS in 10k if I weren't paying attention. The torque is strong.

I have to get my car an overdue safety inspection. I'm seriously considering leaving the x-Ices on for the Summer, as I drive fairly rarely now. Anyone know how fast the x-Ices wear on hot pavement?

Leaf still #2 in UK.

https://www.drivingelectric.com/news/678/electric-car-sales-uk-tesla-model-3-remains-top-10-june

Outlander #1 PHEV.

Alot of Chademo vehicles still getting on the road in Europe.

BrockWI said:
If we have to run to Minneapolis (son at school) and back a bunch (600 mile round trip), this a 15 min refuel stop with the Prime, 75 minutes with the Model 3 and 2 hours and 30 minutes with a Bolt, the Leaf isn't an option,

I'm looking at a near opposite path: Minneapolis to Marquette MI, which could go via Green Bay. Also not do-able with my Leaf.

Actually, aBetterRoutePlanner gives an eastbound path for a 2020 Bolt with 5% degradation, driving slow:
- 51 minute charge EA Eau Claire @50kw 53->100% (at Sams Club)
+ drive 60 mph on the freeway to Merrill, then 50mph on hwy 64 to Crivitz
- 60 minutes charge in Crivitz Chev @25kw 15%->53% (free; McDonalds is 10 minute walk)
- arrive in Marquette with 9%
... total summer charging 111 minutes.
The other direction is 60 minutes in Crivitz (free), then 60 in Eau Claire (120 minutes total charging).

I could do the whole thing free by using Menominee Chev, and Crivitz Chev, with a short L2 stop at Wausau Jefferson Ramp. It would be easy if a Chev dealer in Wausau or Merrill got the 25kw DCFC.

So you may be able to get from Green Bay to Minneapolis with less than 150 minutes of charging in a 2020 bolt.

I did see that as an option, but I wasn't sure about the chevy chargers, are they all out where you can get to them and use them anytime? I also worry about that run in January, when it's cold 0*F with snow :)

If there was a public CCS in Wausau...

LeftieBiker said:
I have to get my car an overdue safety inspection. I'm seriously considering leaving the x-Ices on for the Summer, as I drive fairly rarely now. Anyone know how fast the x-Ices wear on hot pavement?

Not well. They're roughly like Blizzaks that way. I guess for a one-off, nothing to worry about. Not something I'd recommend for regular use unless they're already down a ways and you're looking to replace.

Thanks - I was afraid of that. I guess I'll have to get out the lug nut "keys" (the car came with locking lug nuts) and see if I can bust them loose. I already have a rubber 'puck' for my floor jack. I'm faced with choosing between getting my reluctant housemate to follow me to the 45 minute away dealership twice, riding with my Sister who wears her mask much of the time, or doing the wheels myself so I can just have it inspected at the dealership 15 minutes away. Trouble is, there is also the battery bonding plate recall, and the codes the car quietly threw...

BrockWI said:
If there was a public CCS in Wausau...

I was thinking that I should call Kocourek Chev and tell them that I'll buy a Bolt from them if they put in a DCFC. Their location is 2 miles south of the 51/52/29 interchange, which would be better... but they are next to Walmart and lots of shops. If you're going to charge on a Chevy-branded 25kw DCFC, it's a good place to be stuck for an hour. (but, I think thef only sell Chevy pickups and Hyundai cars, so they may not be interested until their electric pickup comes out).

For sure, no ccs or Chademo here in Green Bay, you would think it would be a good place to stop on the way to Door County :)

specialgreen you probably already saw this and it has been on the list for more than a year, but Escanaba and then more recently they added Marquette on the list for Superchargers.

LeftieBiker said:
Thanks - I was afraid of that. I guess I'll have to get out the lug nut "keys" (the car came with locking lug nuts) and see if I can bust them loose. I already have a rubber 'puck' for my floor jack. I'm faced with choosing between getting my reluctant housemate to follow me to the 45 minute away dealership twice, riding with my Sister who wears her mask much of the time, or doing the wheels myself so I can just have it inspected at the dealership 15 minutes away. Trouble is, there is also the battery bonding plate recall, and the codes the car quietly threw...

What is the puck for?

FYI; I rotate my own tires and I make it as easy as possible. I have two floor jacks so jack up one side use cheapo 12 volt impact to remove and swap then do the opposite side. In a hurry, I could probably do it in 15 mins. I generally take 25-30 and not gonna lie. That includes stopping to respond to something on my phone and all that crap.

Did you know that TPMS is self registering? I did the 10,000 mile rotation a week ago and it took about an hour but the swap was recognized by the car. Nice!

Dave do you mean you swapped to different tires with different TPMS and the car found them? Or do you mean from the rotation it figured out which was in which location? How could it do that?

BrockWI said:
Dave do you mean you swapped to different tires with different TPMS and the car found them? Or do you mean from the rotation it figured out which was in which location? How could it do that?

same tires, different position

I never bothered to rotate the OEM tires on my 2019, but was pleasantly surprised to find out that the car relearns the sensor positions. After I left the tire shop with new tires, I noticed one tire was at 51 psi (sidewall maximum) while the other three were at 37 or 38 so the technician probably inflated all to maximum to seat the tires on the rims and forgot to bleed one down. The 51 was showing at left front position and then changed to left rear while driving (probably 4 or 5 miles after leaving the tire shop). I suspected the sensor was damaged or there was electrical interference, but I checked the pressures when I got to my workshop and they matched the displayed positions. I adjusted them to four different pressures and drove a few miles to confirm.

Like LeftieBiker, I use hockey pucks with slots cut in them to spread the load and protect the paint at the jacking points.

In answer to the original question (title of thread): I would definitely buy another if something happened to my SL Plus. Other than premature battery capacity loss on the 2011 (which Nissan replaced under retroactive capacity warranty before the class action lawsuit), my previous cars were very reliable both electrically and mechanically. The 2019 has had no issues so far in 11 months and 18,400 miles.

Back