2019 "60 kWh" Leaf e-Plus

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have run gps speedometer tests in both cars. The SV+ is spot on. Tom M. From insideevs mentioned the same in his reviews. The SV has the Michelins.

The S+ is off by ~2% like you mention with the ecopias. That only explains about .1-.15 miles per kilowatt. There is still a pretty big gap. I have done calcs based on power used (per LS) vs. Google maps and it lines up pretty close. So if the 215 is 210 and 28% left, pretty good (I do drive conservatively).

GerryAZ said:
Doug,

Your differences in efficiency between S+ and SV+ are probably mainly due to odometer error. If your SV is like my SL, it travels further than the odometer indicates (probably about 2% with OEM Michelin tires) while the S probably travels less distance than the odometer indicates. Try comparing indicated distances between the two cars for the same route.

On the 2018 I did a side by side with someone who had SV with Tech. Different speeds but identical routes and it was only a .6 mile difference in just over 100 miles. Tire wear plays a greater part (although still not significant) and I had over 10,000 miles on mine and he only had "maybe" 2,000?

DougWantsALeaf said:
I didn't think of the impact due to tire wear. I guess bald tires are a bit smaller...but so much more efficient.

Missed point. Worn out tires inflate distance traveled due to a diminishing diameter so a gap was expected but based on what I read, I was expecting nearly a 2 mile difference.

This was a one off test and it was a point to point drive starting from same charging station and ending at same charging station so variance in actual distance traveled should have been minimal but w/o repeating it, its hard to make any definitive conclusions.

FYI; I don't have it at hand but difference in rotations per mile support the conclusion that any discrepancy would not be significant. I think the difference was less than 10 rotations per mile between the two tires

So long story short, it is almost non-material.

One interesting observation yesterday while getting my free juice, was that the rate of charge from 28%-50% was about 43kW on the EVGO 50kW charger. Then is popped to 46-47kW up past 70% when I turned it off. The battery started at mid point (I didn't have my dongle with me), but did move to 1 overmidpoint later in the charge cycle (its been 90+F here in Chicago, so battery started warm). I didn't expect charge rate to go up, but maybe best temp for charging is between 90-110F?

Worn tires are only 1% smaller then new tires, that's so small as to be irrelevant. Tire pressure would have more effect.

DougWantsALeaf said:
So long story short, it is almost non-material.

One interesting observation yesterday while getting my free juice, was that the rate of charge from 28%-50% was about 43kW on the EVGO 50kW charger. Then is popped to 46-47kW up past 70% when I turned it off. The battery started at mid point (I didn't have my dongle with me), but did move to 1 overmidpoint later in the charge cycle (its been 90+F here in Chicago, so battery started warm). I didn't expect charge rate to go up, but maybe best temp for charging is between 90-110F?

Temperature has nothing to do with your increase. Charge rate defined by the car is volts times amps. The station provides a starting current and your likely start at 100% of the station's capacity. At 43 KW, you prob were are around 340-345 volts and 120 amps. As SOC hits 70% your amperage is the same but voltage is now approaching 385=390 or 46 KW. Same current but higher power which is why stations should be judged on current.

One interesting thing.

The dealer, as a dumb surprise cost (which we had them remove the cost) put door and wheel well guards on the S+ we bought last month. I imagine the door guards reduce aerodynamics. But..any chance the wheel well guards vortex the air flow around the wheel wells themselves, modestly helping efficiency at higher speeds?

DougWantsALeaf said:
One interesting thing.

The dealer, as a dumb surprise cost (which we had them remove the cost) put door and wheel well guards on the S+ we bought last month. I imagine the door guards reduce aerodynamics. But..any chance the wheel well guards vortex the air flow around the wheel wells themselves, modestly helping efficiency at higher speeds?

hmm, wheel well guards? Not sure I have heard of this? Can you post pix (or link)

Back