Why would anyone buy a nissan leaf right now???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like LeftieBiker, I use hockey pucks with slots cut in them to spread the load and protect the paint at the jacking points.

Just to clarify: what I have looks like a hockey puck with slots, but I bought it pre-manufactured that way. I can link to it if anyone wants one. I haven't used it yet.

Bjorn just posted some new videos on the Leaf Plus. He was able to drive 350km fast charge on a 200 amp charger (first 200 amp chademo in Norway), then driver another 350+ KM and then do a 50kW fast charge without hitting rapid gate(total distance over 650km). Outside temps were about 20C.

This seems to reflect the experience those of us in the northern parts of the US experience with the Plus.

LeftieBiker said:
Like LeftieBiker, I use hockey pucks with slots cut in them to spread the load and protect the paint at the jacking points.

Just to clarify: what I have looks like a hockey puck with slots, but I bought it pre-manufactured that way. I can link to it if anyone wants one. I haven't used it yet.

Although I made my own set using real hockey pucks, I am interested to see what you bought because I would like to have some at home as well as at my workshop. Please post the link when you get a chance.

Thanks,
Gerry

Here you go:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H46MXO8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

71S4gPFhKYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

81r-cryEGhL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Since Nissan Ariya will be using CCS for DC charging outside of the Japanese market, to me it looks like a confirmation that Chademo is likely to die in a few years - not many new Chademo stations are likely to be built in the future outside of Japan and current ones will gradually be retired when they need expensive maintenance or repair - especially those that are not used enough to justify operating expenses.

Rebel44 said:
Since Nissan Ariya will be using CCS for DC charging outside of the Japanese market, to me it looks like a confirmation that Chademo is likely to die in a few years - not many new Chademo stations are likely to be built in the future outside of Japan and current ones will gradually be retired when they need expensive maintenance or repair - especially those that are not used enough to justify operating expenses.

Unless there is a significant cost to having an extra cable of a different type, I don't see this happening. My LEAF is likely to be on the road another decade with me driving most of that decade. The question now becomes what is cheaper? Redesigning stations to only have one CCS cable or just stay the same and leave one side unconnected.

Since Chademo EVs will be around for a long time yet, I don't see it as being a big money saver when you are cutting out a large chunk of your possible customers.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Rebel44 said:

Unless there is a significant cost to having an extra cable of a different type, I don't see this happening. My LEAF is likely to be on the road another decade with me driving most of that decade. The question now becomes what is cheaper? Redesigning stations to only have one CCS cable or just stay the same and leave one side unconnected.

Since Chademo EVs will be around for a long time yet, I don't see it as being a big money saver when you are cutting out a large chunk of your possible customers.

AFAIK dual-standard chargers need a bit more electronics (and an extra cable) and CCS only versions of chargers are cheaper (at least here in central Europe). And compared to newer EVs, most Leafs are less likely (due to both lower range and slower DC charging) to travel long distances - so I expect the % of DC charging sessions by Leafs to go down relatively quickly over the next few years. IMO, keeping current Leafs driving as long as possible is good, but I don't see why informed buyers would buy new Leaf (especially in places where dealers don't offer discounts and Leaf costs almost as much as Model 3) until Nissan switches them to CCS.

Buying a leaf in the last year years has been largely influenced by economics. Its hard to find a less expensive longer range ev. It looks like even Nissan is dwindling out the 40kw leaf given the more limited trim levels this year.

I am guessing that battety costs are continuing to drop like a rock.

Rebel44 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Rebel44 said:

AFAIK dual-standard chargers need a bit more electronics (and an extra cable) and CCS only versions of chargers are cheaper (at least here in central Europe). And compared to newer EVs, most Leafs are less likely (due to both lower range and slower DC charging) to travel long distances - so I expect the % of DC charging sessions by Leafs to go down relatively quickly over the next few years. IMO, keeping current Leafs driving as long as possible is good, but I don't see why informed buyers would buy new Leaf (especially in places where dealers don't offer discounts and Leaf costs almost as much as Model 3) until Nissan switches them to CCS.

So it would be cheaper to pull the dual format station entirely and not repair and replace with shiny CCS only? Hmmm? I guess I will have to rely on EA since they don't control their own destiny. ;)

The good news is I don't think anything changes in the US for about 2 years. Post 2022, I do think that new Chademo's will slow down (remember there are still Chademos added in the US every day right now), and post 2023, will start on the decline. I think beyond 2025 it gets difficult again to travel on Chademo cross country.

So take your road trips now. :)

DougWantsALeaf said:
Bjorn just posted some new videos on the Leaf Plus. He was able to drive 350km fast charge on a 200 amp charger (first 200 amp chademo in Norway), then driver another 350+ KM and then do a 50kW fast charge without hitting rapid gate(total distance over 650km). Outside temps were about 20C.

This seems to reflect the experience those of us in the northern parts of the US experience with the Plus.

Try 3 then 4. That is what I am curious to see. Not sure you can drive far enough in Norway though but Doug probably can. 3 hit the first lower red bar and it maxed at 19.5 and 4th almost 2nd also maxed at 19.5 all that red is disturbing. This is summer though winter may be different. 2 has always been fine for me, I have done that many times. Outside temp may be quite relevant and as as speed being driven, air conditioner usage etc causing higher draw. A bolt and a Kia do not have that problem. Good news for me is Ariya also looks to have solved it so Nissan at least has the tech, would be nice if they backported it to a LEAF (smaller car) as well.

DougWantsALeaf said:
The good news is I don't think anything changes in the US for about 2 years. Post 2022, I do think that new Chademo's will slow down (remember there are still Chademos added in the US every day right now), and post 2023, will start on the decline. I think beyond 2025 it gets difficult again to travel on Chademo cross country.

Not sure about it being more difficult to travel, while I think new installations will stop in a few years the stations will still be there for some years. I still seem some very old beat up EvGo stations that still work and are like 10 years old. I think you have until at least 2030 or more likely at least 2035 if not longer. As long as it is cheaper to fix what they have than replace it.

salyavin said:
I still seem some very old beat up EvGo stations that still work and are like 10 years old.
10 years? I think you've added a few years.

These are NOT EVgo: https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=4691 was an early one in CA and it's from July 2011. https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=6572 was from Oct 28, 2011 and was super early. Too bad all the images are broken and nobody had archived it (https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=9553) early enough...

My personal experiences w/EVgo CCS have been pretty mixed. I've hit stations that are flat out not working (couldn't start a session, would hit a communication error) and another that might've had a problem w/the CCS connector. On that last one, my sessions would abruptly terminate within 1 to 3 minutes until I parked sideways (Bolt inlet on the side) then supported the cable w/the green crash post at the site.

(And, yes, I know about the workaround of having to support the weight of the cable and connector before the car locks the plug to the car. It's a CCS quirk that seems worse on stations w/heavy cables like EA's.)

Plugshare scores for EVgo in the SF Bay Area are really mixed.

DougWantsALeaf said:

I am willing to bet you won't have to start worrying about it in this decade.

Back