Please Report 2018 - 2020 Leaf Defects Here

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveinOlyWA said:
LeftieBiker said:
My car's 'Automatic Recirculate' feature just stopped working. The light flashes twice with the button press/hold, but then it goes right back to Recirculate.

You are not in any defrost modes, correct?

Auto Recirculate works in Floor + Defrost on the 2018+ cars. This glitch is a recent development. There are three codes:

U1000 0008 BCM CAN Comm Circuit

U1027 2308 CHARGER

U1000 0108 METER CAN Comm Circuit

LeftieBiker,

With at least 2 CAN comm errors, I suggest you check your 12V battery and clear the codes. That will probably fix your HVAC recirculate issue. You may need to disconnect and reconnect the 12V battery (will cause the HVAC system to initialize the dampers to relearn their positions).

GerryAZ said:
LeftieBiker,

With at least 2 CAN comm errors, I suggest you check your 12V battery and clear the codes. That will probably fix your HVAC recirculate issue. You may need to disconnect and reconnect the 12V battery (will cause the HVAC system to initialize the dampers to relearn their positions).

I had just ( a few days ago) topped off the 12 volt battery with the maintainer. It should have been near full. I didn't check the voltage first this time, but there were no other symptoms of a very low 12 volt battery. I agree that this should be tried, but I'm irritated that it happened...

I just thought of something: I had a Senior Moment when I connected the maintainer, and used the negative terminal on the battery to connect, rather than use the grounding bolt we commonly use on the stack. I know I've done this before, with no issues. Anyway, I reconnected the maintainer this morning, and I'll see if that alone fixes it. If not, maybe I'll try the code reset. I'll first try resetting with LSP.

LeftieBiker said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
LeftieBiker said:
My car's 'Automatic Recirculate' feature just stopped working. The light flashes twice with the button press/hold, but then it goes right back to Recirculate.

You are not in any defrost modes, correct?

Auto Recirculate works in Floor + Defrost on the 2018+ cars. This glitch is a recent development. There are three codes:

U1000 0008 BCM CAN Comm Circuit

U1027 2308 CHARGER

U1000 0108 METER CAN Comm Circuit

Recirc didn't work on my LEAFs in any defrost mode. I never considered this a bug.

Again, the Gen II Leaf allows both recirculate and partial recirculate at least in Floor + defrost mode. It doesn't allow Recirc in Defrost Only mode, except maybe when the blower is off - I don't remember. It's very handy to have it in F+D. I tried clearing codes, but they came back. Rather than disconnect the 12 volt battery I will probably take the car to the better, farther dealer for the annual inspection, and mention it.

You may have had a point, albeit not the one you thought you had. I didn't have the car in Floor + Defrost when the issue arose. It was in Vent High mode. I'm sure that Auto Recirc used to work in this mode, but it isn't now. It still works in Floor + Defrost.

LeftieBiker said:
Again, the Gen II Leaf allows both recirculate and partial recirculate at least in Floor + defrost mode. It doesn't allow Recirc in Defrost Only mode, except maybe when the blower is off - I don't remember. It's very handy to have it in F+D. I tried clearing codes, but they came back. Rather than disconnect the 12 volt battery I will probably take the car to the better, farther dealer for the annual inspection, and mention it.

You may have had a point, albeit not the one you thought you had. I didn't have the car in Floor + Defrost when the issue arose. It was in Vent High mode. I'm sure that Auto Recirc used to work in this mode, but it isn't now. It still works in Floor + Defrost.

Well there is an Easter egg maneuver that allows partially recirc (not sure how they determine that) but I am only going by the lights. I personally don't need recirc defrost. The humidity is way too high for that here.

Kind of a goofy "defect" that I found today. I can't turn off the radio.

1. Connect your phone through Bluetooth. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S10. I don't know that the type of phone matters.
2. Turn on the radio.
3. On the dash screen go to Phone -> Text Messages.
4. Select any text message and let it read the message.
5. Try to turn off the radio. Mine won't turn off using the knob.

I have to switch to a different screen to turn off the radio. I was at a drive-thru and I needed to read off the contents of the text message at the drive-thru window, so I didn't want to change to a different screen. I had to change the volume (that action on the knob still works) to zero.

Our radio is funky also, I attribute it to owner incompetence, but I have yet to figure out exactly why it comes on sometimes and won't turn off sometimes. Oh well...... a gremlin.

I will chime in--the navigation system/radio is the ONLY thing I don't like about my 2019 SL Plus after almost a year. The touch screen is too sensitive and the actions from touching it are not consistent. Sometimes it will scroll when touching and sometimes it will zoom or move to another screen. It is very distracting to change radio stations or switch between AM, FM, and XM while driving. There is no way to fully turn off the audio and the map is ridiculously out of date (older than the maps in the 2011 and 2015). Although it is capable of "over the air" map and software updates, I have never been able to get an update of any kind (always says it is up to date whenever I check for updates). At least the older cars would update charging station locations frequently--again no updates to charging stations in almost a year of ownership so it shows DCQC stations in my area which no longer exist.

LeftieBiker said:
Yikes. What do you mean about not being able to fully turn the audio off?
I probably exaggerate out of frustration. Audible notifications from the navigation system come through the speakers even when the entertainment system audio is turned off. The only way to prevent audio from the navigation system (even when no route is programmed) is to go into the menu system and turn off all audible notifications. If I allow notifications, then I am bothered by a warning that I am driving on an unpaved road every time I drive into or out of my neighborhood on the street that was paved before I moved there twenty years ago. Having the audio system turned off and navigation turned off does not prevent these audible notifications.

The Nav system was never this stupid on my '07 Titan. I get "road with restricted access" every time I drive to the hardware store. But only one the way home, not on the way there.

HRTKD said:
The Nav system was never this stupid on my '07 Titan. I get "road with restricted access" every time I drive to the hardware store. But only one the way home, not on the way there.

turn off notification :roll: for that alert

Learjet said:
turn off notification :roll: for that alert

I think I looked for that specific alert, but couldn't find it. It was a few months back, so my memory of the search may be a bit muddled.

HRTKD said:
I took my Leaf in for the clunk and I don't know if it's been resolved or not. The dealership's response was that the lug nuts weren't tight enough. The service writer gave me a TSB printout showing that the lug nuts need to be at 83 ft/lbs. That torque setting is exactly what the hard copy owner's manual calls for. I used a torque wrench when mounting my winter wheels and I used the 83 ft/lbs. If the clunk is really gone then A) why wasn't it present on all four wheels, B) I need to calibrate my torque wrench, C) next time I'll just use 90.

UPDATE: I drove on some rough dirt roads at low speed. The clunk is NOT gone.

I took the Leaf in for the third time to try and resolve the clunk when hitting bumps. I thought the dealership was going to take care of it but they ended up not addressing it, saying that a brand new Leaf on the lot does the same thing. I discussed this with the service manager and got nowhere.

To reiterate, my clunk sounds like it is coming from the passenger front suspension. It clunks only on bumps and does it without regard to the position of the steering wheel. The issue is there when the car is going left, straight and right. The sound was there with both my winter and summer sets of wheels/tires/sensors.

The first excuse was that it was the lug nuts. The second excuse was that it was a rock behind the brake rotor shield. Now the excuse is that all Leafs do it.

HRTKD said:
HRTKD said:
I took my Leaf in for the clunk and I don't know if it's been resolved or not. The dealership's response was that the lug nuts weren't tight enough. The service writer gave me a TSB printout showing that the lug nuts need to be at 83 ft/lbs. That torque setting is exactly what the hard copy owner's manual calls for. I used a torque wrench when mounting my winter wheels and I used the 83 ft/lbs. If the clunk is really gone then A) why wasn't it present on all four wheels, B) I need to calibrate my torque wrench, C) next time I'll just use 90.

UPDATE: I drove on some rough dirt roads at low speed. The clunk is NOT gone.

I took the Leaf in for the third time to try and resolve the clunk when hitting bumps. I thought the dealership was going to take care of it but they ended up not addressing it, saying that a brand new Leaf on the lot does the same thing. I discussed this with the service manager and got nowhere.

To reiterate, my clunk sounds like it is coming from the passenger front suspension. It clunks only on bumps and does it without regard to the position of the steering wheel. The issue is there when the car is going left, straight and right. The sound was there with both my winter and summer sets of wheels/tires/sensors.

The first excuse was that it was the lug nuts. The second excuse was that it was a rock behind the brake rotor shield. Now the excuse is that all Leafs do it.

Mine is doing the same thing but only on a certain left turn. Also mine is more a rub than a clunk. I plan to take it in after my moving dilemma is settled a bit.

I guess we will see how a "dedicated" LEAF tech handles it. I will report back in probably 2 weeks or so

The “clunk” noise not the “click” noise.

I have a 2018 S with 26k miles on it. Bought out someone’s lease a year ago. Heard axle click, fixed under warranty. This month I heard the clunk, as reported, also from the passenger side front. I did my own inspection but couldn’t see anything, I was able to replicate the sound for the service foreman at local dealership. He then was also able to recreate the noise after a couple of attempts.

So- it was determined that the bushings separating the main frame from the subframe were the source of the issue. Service covered under warranty(3 yr /36 mi) but the car was at the dealer for 4 days while they fixed it. Glad to have figured it out, definitely the service coordinator and the techs did not find it or have any interest so I asked to speak with service foreman and take him on a ride. Brought donuts to the garage after I drove away and noise was gone.

2 repairs under warranty in 10 months. Still showing 12 bars though.

Back