CHAdeMO dead?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the US, supercharger network is/was huge differentiator. In Europe, the fast growth of really good CCS networks made a Tesla adaptor only car less appealing.

As EA and other networks fill the gap, I believe it will eventually become a detractor for Tesla as well, but yes in the interim 2-3 years, I believe it helps to have the Tesla-Chademo adapter widely used.

CHAdeMO Condolences Video Will Make You Laugh Out Loud
https://insideevs.com/news/434527/chademo-condolences-video-make-laugh/ - video is under 1.5 minutes long. The words end at ~0:45.

Chademo isn't dead, but it has caught trumpvirus and has underlying health conditions.

linguo-linguo-is-dead

Xfr4xRE

https://imgur.com/r/thesimpsons/Xfr4xRE

https://www.chademo.com/a-million-chademo-vehicles/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=a-million-chademo-vehicles
In the month of October 2020, CHAdeMO has achieved the one million mark with EVs and PHEVs equipped with a CHAdeMO inlet sold to date in the world

cwerdna said:
https://www.chademo.com/a-million-chademo-vehicles/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=a-million-chademo-vehicles
In the month of October 2020, CHAdeMO has achieved the one million mark with EVs and PHEVs equipped with a CHAdeMO inlet sold to date in the world

Let's shoot for numbers that have some utility:

What fraction of those million are in battery degraded LEAFs that rarely or never travel ?
How many 62 kWh LEAFs are wondering around the highways of the USA and using CHAdeMO ?

The sucky thing with CHADEMO diminishing is that, for 24 kWh pack LEAFs especially, it stretches the distance between charging opportunities to the point that, on some routes, it will no longer be possible to make it to the next DC fast charger that has CHADEMO. It's also a bummer that CCS -> CHADEMO conversion is so difficult, as we can't even buy an adapter cable to solve the problem.

Chademo is not diminishing...at least not yet. Except for EA and dealer installs, all of the chargers being installed support both still.

Chademo.com recently had an article celebrating 1 million Chademo cars (not including Tesla).

Lexus and Xpeng just released new Chademo Cars in the last month, so some life left at least. (Ux300e, G3)

In the US Teslas still use Chademo with some reasonable frequency, especially in some areas of the country, so I believe we have at least 4 years of expanded support ahead.

By then let's see how the Chinese car invasion is going. China and Japan have joined forces on the Chademo 3 standard. Lets see if any of that gets here.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Chademo is not diminishing...at least not yet. Except for EA and dealer installs, all of the chargers being installed support both still.

Chademo.com recently had an article celebrating 1 million Chademo cars (not including Tesla).

Lexus and Xpeng just released new Chademo Cars in the last month, so some life left at least. (Ux300e, G3)

In the US Teslas still use Chademo with some reasonable frequency, especially in some areas of the country, so I believe we have at least 4 years of expanded support ahead.

By then let's see how the Chinese car invasion is going. China and Japan have joined forces on the Chademo 3 standard. Lets see if any of that gets here.

Same in Canada. In BC the number one user of B.C. Hydro Chademos are Tesla’s. Removing Chademo from the install program here would be akin to shutting down the provincial EV program. As long as Tesla’s are Chademo compatible Chademo has a future here.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Chademo is not diminishing...at least not yet.
I don't know of any CHAdeMO being removed, but it sure is being neglected, and the other standards are expanding much, much faster.

If your competitor is accelerating and you are not, you are for all intents going backwards. Now that Nissan has formally washed its hands of CHAdeMO in N. America it is silly to see CHAdeMO as anything but in crappy caretaker mode.

Alozzy's comment was that LEAF battery degradation is more rapid than CHAdeMO expansion

SageBrush said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
Chademo is not diminishing...at least not yet.
I don't know of any CHAdeMO being removed, but it sure is being neglected, and the other standards are expanding much, much faster.

If your competitor is accelerating and you are not, you are for all intents going backwards.
I actually know of what looks like at least three CHAdeMO only chargers that are now gone in the Bay Area. I used one of them before and it was at a Walgreens. One was free and the other was on Blink, IIRC. Not sure if the first one was physically removed but it's no longer on Plugshare. The other I'm pretty sure was physically removed (was at a busy mall).

Nissan corporate used to have a research office in Sunnyvale. I've been inside for numerous EVents. They did have a free to use CHAdeMO only charger outside that anyone could use. It was removed. They did that well before they moved locations.

I know of a fourth one at another Walgreens that I used to use. It also dropped off Plugshare but I was able to see it in Google Street View. If I'm ever in that area again, I might drop by to see if it still exists/still appears to work. I can't test it as I haven't had a CHAdeMO car since July 2015.

As for expanding faster, the only one (excluding Tesla) who is doing that is VW-owned Electrify America. Nobody else (non-Tesla) so far has been stacking the deck in the US like that.

cwerdna said:
As for expanding faster, the only one (excluding Tesla) who is doing that is VW-owned Electrify America. Nobody else (non-Tesla) so far has been stacking the deck in the US like that.
What fraction of DCFast charging new installations in the USA is covered by EA|Tesla ?

Evgo, Chargepoint, an Greenlots have been pretty good maintenance wise, at least in my experience. They are also going 1 to 1 in terms of charger heads. I dont think it costs any more to install the ccs/chademo than a double ccs.

EA is getting better too.

1020 new Chademo charging stations going in across India.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.manufacturingtodayindia.com/products-suppliers/9083-okaya-bags-world-bank-funded-contract-for-setting-up-ev-charging-stations-across-india%3famp

Back