Oh, DAMN.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeftieBiker

Staff member
This has been one of those days. Things weren't going great because I had to get up hours early to go get blood drawn for routine tests. I left a little early, but traffic was pretty bad on part of the route, so I took a shortcut through a shopping center. And got broadsided, albeit at low speed, by a driver who says he stopped at the stop sign, but who then proceeded to drive right into my door as I was passing in front of him. The door is ruined, the door frame may be slightly skewed, and I even missed the lab appointment. The other car. a larger Chevy sedan, looked unscathed. I'd feel much, much worse if I had planned on keeping this Leaf, but I was proud of how lovely "Scarlet" was, and now I'm driving a partial wreck...

Oh no! Good to hear you're ok. Can never trust other drivers in those shopping malls, especially when I'm on a bike...

Glad to hear you are not injured!

(I was T-boned like that in a parking lot in 81 in my parent's Civic... it really sucks when you like the car)

webeleafowners said:
It’s all just paint, rubber, plastic and metal. What matters is Leftie lives on. :). Glad to hear you are ok.

+1

Likewise the eTron was hit in a parking lot while I was shopping. Other driver's insurance will cover it, but I'm driving a stinking rental gasmobile at least part of the time until fixed. I'll find out today how long it might take... Is driveable, but the windshield washer fluid is leaking. At least I still have the LEAF, but need to share with my son.

The other driver was a bit sullen ("I DID stop at the stop sign.") but did at least admit fault and stick around. Hopefully there won't be another story to the insurance companies.

I created this topic, BTW, for everybody to share their misfortunes, not just me.

Glad you are OK, just think of what could have happened.

And yes, as a bicyclist, I tell everyone I can that parking lots are THE most dangerous places to ride. I try to avoid them as much as possible when on my bike but sometimes you just can't.

I've never been hit but I have t-boned 2 cars in my life. Once on a motorcycle when a guy did a u-ey out of a parking spot in front of me on a 2-way, 4-laned street and once on a bicycle when a guy crossed the street in front of me. That was also on a 4-lane street and I thought he was merging onto the road until it was too late. He was doing a diagonal sort of maneuver from parking lot to parking lot that I didn't expect. In both cases I went over the hood and walked (limped) away. Both times the bikes were totaled.

I obviously had the 'right of way' in both cases but that doesn't matter much when you're dead so be careful out there everyone and try to expect the unexpected.

So do we then "hope" your car is considered totaled so you can pick something new?

I doubt very much that it is totaled. The door still works, albeit with some wind noise and a little extra effort required to latch it (I may adjust the latch post if there will be a delay in getting her repaired) and I don't remember seeing damage to the fender, just the door and running board. As long as the insurance company's (Esurance) body shop can make the damage invisible and repair it well enough to pass the turn in inspection next Spring, I'm ok with it. I've been planning for a while now to lease an ePlus SV with Weather and Tech packages next year. Ironically, just last week I put the first scratch in the paint - myself - and was feeling bad about that...

The other insurance company has accepted that their driver was at fault, so I don't have to pay a $500 deductible for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. There is an Esurance partnered dealer body shop 8 miles from us. So far...

Back