24 kWh Battery replacement cost back down to $5500

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am negotiating with the dealer. I had delivered the car and signed paperwork for a 5500 battery installed out the door. Then the called and said it would be $8500 because the price went up. I said we had a contract. The got in touch with nissan and now it looks like $7500 installed. (Nissan is going to give me a $1000 credit maybe)
I see Fenix is going to be $6000 for the battery and $1500 for the install. So for the same price is there any reason to prefer Fenix over Nissan if the cost is the same

69800 said:
I am negotiating with the dealer. I had delivered the car and signed paperwork for a 5500 battery installed out the door. Then the called and said it would be $8500 because the price went up. I said we had a contract. The got in touch with nissan and now it looks like $7500 installed. (Nissan is going to give me a $1000 credit maybe)
I see Fenix is going to be $6000 for the battery and $1500 for the install. So for the same price is there any reason to prefer Fenix over Nissan if the cost is the same
Fenix unit is a reconditioned battery, not new! Warranty might be an issue. A new Nissan battery will come with a 60K/5 yr warranty if I remember correctly. Fenix's battery warranty/exchange plan is at extra cost. I'd be careful about Fenix as it's still in startup mode and could quickly disappear.

69800 said:

Fenix is cheaper doing the 2 year subscription thing and after that its like $15 a month to stay on it but they have no track record and ZERO installs at this point. I like to be first in a lot of things but this is far far from one of those things.

Maybe in a year or two with glowing customer reviews not from Fenix, I would consider it.

Nissan gave me a $1000 discount so my install will be $7500. Our leaf is in excellent condition with 9 bars. They are in such bad financial condition I figured I would get a new battery now and drive it it for 8 or 10 more years before the go bankrupt. Its been a great car. I feel like for $7500 I am getting a brand new leaf.

69800 said:
Nissan gave me a $1000 discount so my install will be $7500. Our leaf is in excellent condition with 9 bars. They are in such bad financial condition I figured I would get a new battery now and drive it it for 8 or 10 more years before the go bankrupt. Its been a great car. I feel like for $7500 I am getting a brand new leaf.
I think the $1k discount is 'trade in' on your old battery.
My 2011 car is down to 10 bars at 30k miles. I'm not looking forward to replacing my 2011 battery and It's difficult to know what Nissan dealers will charge for a replacement battery. I had hoped by now Nissan would have defined a positive customer policy for replacing batteries instead of charging more money for the same capability. $7500 might not be a bad price for a 40k battery; however, for a 24k unit installed in a $4k car...Well, that's expensive.

I hope the car manufacturers solve their battery problems soon because it's the main impediment to broad EV adoption and cleaner air.

69800 said:

For that price or maybe a bit more, you can get a salvaged 40 kwh pack and drive it 3-8 years before it degrades down to a brand new 24 kwh pack range.

DaveinOlyWA said:
69800 said:

For that price or maybe a bit more, you can get a salvaged 40 kwh pack and drive it 3-8 years before it degrades down to a brand new 24 kwh pack range.

That was my thought, as well. Getting the swap done correctly is the key.

The other challenge is finding a local shop willing to do the battery swap, assuming a 40 kWh pack can be found. Both things might be challenging in North Idaho (where OP lives)

gncndad said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
69800 said:

That was my thought, as well. Getting the swap done correctly is the key.

Thanks to Mux, Andre, and a few others, the challenge is now quite doable and yes, being located near on of the dozen or so shops doing this is helpful but the movement has started and will expand.

https://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2020/03/leaf-battery-upgrades-comes-to.html

I suppose, but North Idaho to Bainbridge Island (EV Works) would be a long drive in a LEAF as at least 5 charging sessions would be needed. If I was the OP, I'd probably make that happen; however, a shop in Spokane would be a lot more convenient for the OP.

Hopefully in a few more years there will be lots of shops offering battery swaps, but for most people there won't be any options (other than perhaps DIY) for quite awhile.

alozzy said:
I suppose, but North Idaho to Bainbridge Island (EV Works) would be a long drive in a LEAF as at least 5 charging sessions would be needed. If I was the OP, I'd probably make that happen; however, a shop in Spokane would be a lot more convenient for the OP.

Hopefully in a few more years there will be lots of shops offering battery swaps, but for most people there won't be any options (other than perhaps DIY) for quite awhile.

There is also a shop in Portland OR as well so options are available on the western side.

Well here is the latest on my new battery. The cost is $7500 out the door. The battery just arrived this week. It took about 3 week to get.

I asked the Service Manager to check the date of manufacture on the new battery and guess what...... November 2017 !!!!!!!!

So now I have a brand new 3 year old battery. I am a little pissed. I will plug in leaf spy when I get it.

Does anyone know where I can find the leaf spy specs on a new 24 kwh battery so I have something to compare with ??????

DougWantsALeaf said:
Fascinating. This means while they have exhausted their 30kWh batteries, but still have old 24kWh batteries hanging around.
I warned this forum multiple times about this possibility but @daveInOly and others were positive that packs were being built JIT to put in the car. They are obviously wrong ... again.

The only silver lining (I think) is that the pack will have an 8 bars or less degradation warranty OP can invoke before the sooner of 5 yrs or 60k miles. Does OP know ?

Best new pack
24 kWh, and ~ 3% is reserved at the top
I think 360 volts is nominal, so LeafSpy would report 24,000/360 = ~ 66 Ahr

I have to imagine once the 2016 24kWh packs pass warranty (so early next year), any of these remaining packs will be sold off cheap. I certainly wish Nissan formely sold the 40 packs as an upgrade. The dealers would love it too. It would be really positive for the brand.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I have to imagine once the 2016 24kWh packs pass warranty (so early next year),
The 5 year clock starts from the date the car is sold/leased the first time.
That easily extends into 2017 for the 2016 model year.

69800 said:
I asked the Service Manager to check the date of manufacture on the new battery and guess what...... November 2017 !!!!!!!!
I wonder if there is any chance that the November 2017 date refers to the manufacture date for the shell, and that they actually put new cells inside. Though if that was the case, I'd expect a new sticker on the outside to that effect, possibly beside the original sticker. So: shell manufactured Nov 2017, cells manufactured March 2020 (or whenever).

November 2017 seems a little too recent to be likely to have been a shell from a battery warranty replacement.

Back