Fenix Power - Took money and but never delivered

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oilpan4 said:
They missed their chance to carve out a market niche.
The only opportunity they had was when Nissan locked down battery replacements at $8,500 each and there was no way to do any kind of range upgrade.
Now you can get a new bigger battery for $5,500 from Nissan or an upgrade to the big Nissan battery for several thousand more.
Fenix is irrelevant now.

Sadly, I agree. I keep looking at my 35-mile-or-so 2012 SL. A new battery at best nets me an additional 40 miles or so. Still too short a range for all but short errands. Although I was an early depositor with Fenix, I am not so enamored with retaining the 2012 as I once was. I have not asked for the deposit back, but it looks like I will. Disappointing indeed today.

SalisburySam said:
Oilpan4 said:
They missed their chance to carve out a market niche.
The only opportunity they had was when Nissan locked down battery replacements at $8,500 each and there was no way to do any kind of range upgrade.
Now you can get a new bigger battery for $5,500 from Nissan or an upgrade to the big Nissan battery for several thousand more.
Fenix is irrelevant now.

Sadly, I agree. I keep looking at my 35-mile-or-so 2012 SL. A new battery at best nets me an additional 40 miles or so. Still too short a range for all but short errands. Although I was an early depositor with Fenix, I am not so enamored with retaining the 2012 as I once was. I have not asked for the deposit back, but it looks like I will. Disappointing indeed today.

I know it will be tough but hold on to that car for another year if you can. Aftermarket options are no longer a dream. I know of 8 Gen one LEAFs upgraded to 40 kwh salvage packs and I am only tracking a few places. Its all a matter of when someone in your region will pick up the ball and run with it.

This is happening because everyone is allowing what they know to be used in by other shops. The US might have the largest used LEAF inventory but all the thanks to due to innovators in Canada, The Netherlands and New Zealand. You know who they are.

DaveinOlyWA said:
I am only tracking a few places. Its all a matter of when someone in your region will pick up the ball and run with it.

Dave, I have 16 companies on my list and it keeps growing. 13 to 14 of them have installed salvaged packs into old LEAFs.

I have the list here on a post from 3 days ago and also available by clicking this URL: http://NewLEAFbattery.com/

Fenix May still prove useful if they can get the ball rolling and are able to do their monthly payment plan.

I’m still at a point financially that $99 a month is a lot easier than paying $8000 in one shot.

Sal

UBUYGAS said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
I am only tracking a few places. Its all a matter of when someone in your region will pick up the ball and run with it.

Dave, I have 16 companies on my list and it keeps growing. 13 to 14 of them have installed salvaged packs into old LEAFs.

I have the list here on a post from 3 days ago and also available by clicking this URL: http://NewLEAFbattery.com/

Fenix May still prove useful if they can get the ball rolling and are able to do their monthly payment plan.

I’m still at a point financially that $99 a month is a lot easier than paying $8000 in one shot.

Sal

Might be an idea to start a thread tracking these companies "after" they have had a successful install?

Texas has been exceptionally tough on the Leaf battery pack (as other "hot" states). Has anyone found a successful business doing Leaf pack replacements within the Texas/Lousiana area? There are always several really cheap 2012/2013 Leafs in great physical shape with a failing heart :mrgreen: in my Houston area. I'd like to recommend these to colleagues that want an affordable EV experience, but knowing the limited range and continued degradation, cannot do it!

I've been getting Fenix e-mails touting CPO battery replacements. Still no word on an actual new battery or even a prototype. What i'd like to see is a 40KWH new battery at a minimum. I could get by on a 40KWH that stayed as a 40KWH ( I.E. their battery as a service plan). A 50KWH or even a 60KWH would be better. So far though, I don't see an actual product, just hype about replacement services with pre-owned batteries.

Marktm said:
Texas has been exceptionally tough on the Leaf battery pack (as other "hot" states). Has anyone found a successful business doing Leaf pack replacements within the Texas/Lousiana area? There are always several really cheap 2012/2013 Leafs in great physical shape with a failing heart :mrgreen: in my Houston area. I'd like to recommend these to colleagues that want an affordable EV experience, but knowing the limited range and continued degradation, cannot do it!

I feel your pain! I have one shop in Dallas that has shown interest, but am reluctant to post their name as they have not (yet) done one so I cannot provide a reference. I am down 2 bars on my second battery pack (much better than the first), and am giving serious consideration to a 40kWh upgrade next summer (2021). I am hoping I can buy a (new) 40kWh pack directly from Nissan, but will obviously consider a salvage pack if I can find a source.

Stanton said:
I feel your pain! I have one shop in Dallas that has shown interest, but am reluctant to post their name as they have not (yet) done one so I cannot provide a reference. I am down 2 bars on my second battery pack (much better than the first), and am giving serious consideration to a 40kWh upgrade next summer (2021). I am hoping I can buy a (new) 40kWh pack directly from Nissan, but will obviously consider a salvage pack if I can find a source.
We don't give up as the car itself is quite amazing - just often needs a new "ticker".

https://fenix.systems/news/fenix-news/2020/06/21/last-chance-to-board-fenixs-first-flight talks about June 21st and
What’s a flight? And why is boarding ending?

In order to find a good balance between fast delivery and optimized shipping, we are adopting a deployment plan that steps right into a long-term installation cadence. To achieve this, instead of having just one launch, we have 16 launches each year, each launch starts a group of new customers away from battery worries. We’re calling these groups; Flights, and here’s how they will work:

Every flight will last up to 10 weeks, most will be closer to 8.
The first 3 weeks are open for “Boarding”, essentially the sign-up period.
Week 4 batteries begin to ship to installers.
Week 5 installation scheduling begins.
Weeks 6-9 Battery installations.
Weeks 10+ Enjoying that new car feeling all over again!

Since we’re starting in the middle of 2020, our first Flight didn’t start boarding until, the first week of June, week 23, which means we will only have 10 Flights this year. While we already have quite a few of you checked in for Flight 1, boarding for Flight 1 will be closing faster than you think! All of our weeks begin on Monday and end Sunday night, so boarding for our inaugural flight is scheduled to end today, Sunday, June 21st!
It lists 14 areas and if I counted correctly, we should start hearing about installation of "CPO" Leaf batteries beginning the week of July 19th.

Will be interesting to see if anything materializes...

Dave, You’re welcomed to do that. Where will you do that? Here? Or on your website?

There are 17 now. I’ll keep the list updated and if you want to write about each company who are actually doing installs then I think that’ll be great.

Maybe you should number the companies 001 through 017. Fenix was the first i ever heard of then Muxsan and then I’ll have to look back in my notes to see who was next.

I’m sure eventually there will be 50 companies.

Sal

DaveinOlyWA said:
UBUYGAS said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Sal

Might be an idea to start a thread tracking these companies "after" they have had a successful install?

This is from an email I received last night:

#FenixPowerCo is ready to install your batteries.

New Fenix partners help launch subscriptions!

https://systems.us14.list-manage.co...c51edf811d2fd7a3a5&id=94085282b6&e=286facc622

And this is my understanding on the costs:

This is for CPO packs. Not the Thermally managed Fenix packs they've been talking about for 18 months.

Fenix costs

There are 3 costs:

Installation:

Battery Cost:

Warranty:

Installation has always been from day 1 $1500 and they had a discount on that if you pre-ordered. I told people over and over to pre-order early to get the lowest installation price. They claim they have 700 pre-orders. Most of those people paid between $103 to $150 towards their install cost. (The people with the $103 used my discount codes) Depending when you paid, the earliest people got the best deal.

I paid $150 in 2018 and that's all I will pay for installation. Some people waited till the install cost was $300, or $600 or $750. And unfortunately some people did not listen to me and pre-order and those people will pay $1500 to install.
The people who pre-ordered when the install deal was $300 will owe $150 on the day they get their
battery installed.

The people who pre-ordered when the cost was $750 still owe $600 for installation.

And the people who did not pre-order will pay $1500 for installation.

BATTERY COST:
$2499 in Cash or $150 a month for 24 months.

WARRANTY:
$14.99 a month if you want it.

cwerdna said:
https://fenix.systems/news/fenix-news/2020/06/21/last-chance-to-board-fenixs-first-flight talks

about June 21st and
What's a flight? And why is boarding ending?

In order to find a good balance between fast delivery and optimized shipping, we are adopting a

deployment plan that steps right into a long-term installation cadence. To achieve this, instead of

having just one launch, we have 16 launches each year, each launch starts a group of new customers

away from battery worries. We're calling these groups; Flights, and here's how they will work:

The first 3 weeks are open for "Boarding", essentially the sign-up period.

Since we're starting in the middle of 2020, our first Flight didn't start boarding until, the first

week of June, week 23, which means we will only have 10 Flights this year. While we already have

quite a few of you checked in for Flight 1, boarding for Flight 1 will be closing faster than you

think! All of our weeks begin on Monday and end Sunday night, so boarding for our inaugural flight

is scheduled to end today, Sunday, June 21st!
It lists 14 areas and if I counted correctly, we should start hearing about installation of "CPO"

Leaf batteries beginning the week of July 19th.

DougWantsALeaf said:
That's pretty reasonable. Do they offer 40's as replacements for 24s? Or just the 24kW batteries?

Dave, They said BigBattery, who is their supplier has a 1000 24kWh packs and hardly any 30's. No 40's or 62's

Has Fenix thought about buying up 2013 Leafs in good condition and very degradated batteries, upgrade the batteries and then flip the cars for both mild profit and an additional subscription customer?

cwerdna said:
https://fenix.systems/news/fenix-news/2020/06/21/last-chance-to-board-fenixs-first-flight talks about June 21st and

In order to find a good balance between fast delivery and optimized shipping, we are adopting a deployment plan that steps right into a long-term installation cadence. To achieve this, instead of having just one launch, we have 16 launches each year, each launch starts a group of new customers away from battery worries. We’re calling these groups; Flights, and here’s how they will work:

Since we’re starting in the middle of 2020, our first Flight didn’t start boarding until, the first week of June, week 23, which means we will only have 10 Flights this year. While we already have quite a few of you checked in for Flight 1, boarding for Flight 1 will be closing faster than you think! All of our weeks begin on Monday and end Sunday night, so boarding for our inaugural flight is scheduled to end today, Sunday, June 21st!
It lists 14 areas and if I counted correctly, we should start hearing about installation of "CPO" Leaf batteries beginning the week of July 19th.

We're almost at the end of July.

Has there been any word of successful installs of used Leaf batteries by this outfit?

cwerdna said:

Has there been any word of successful installs of used Leaf batteries by this outfit?

An additional question: Has there been any word of anyone successfully getting their supposedly-fully-refundable deposit back? Five months after requesting a refund and many emails to them later, I have received zero responses from them.

cwerdna said:
cwerdna said:

I have seen on post announcing that someone has been contacted to schedule an install date.

I do hope people realize that they are paying for a battery refurb that Fenix only guarantees will start out with more than 9 bars.
And although I think that at least some of the offers have free battery replacement at 8- bars, I'm not sure that warranty includes installation costs. It surely does not cover any costs or time involved in getting the LEAF to the installer.

Worse case, people are buying ~ 7% capacity over the level that Nissan agreed to warranty replacement during the eligible years/miles.
Or viewed a little differently, if a LEAF just lost its 9th bar, a Fenix replacement may be adding as little as 4-5 miles of range for an uncertain time but almost certainly less time than a non-refurb battery would have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back