DIY recharge A/C: how much different (if any) Is procedure on Leaf than regular ICE?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldallan

>> From your description, it sounds like it may be low on refrigerant

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Our 2015 base model Leaf with 52K miles is not putting out any cold air from the cabin vents. I thought I would try using a recharge kit with R134+ that includes sealant before taking the vehicle to the dealer.

I've watched several YouTube videos, and the procedure seems doable (famous last words?). However, I thought I would first check on this forum to see if the procedure is different, since there isn't an engine running that is turning the compressor.

Thx ...

I would not use conventional "sealant" in the system because the compressor is hermetically sealed and runs on traction battery voltage so the refrigerant and lubricating oil must be compatible and have adequate electrical insulating qualities to avoid battery ground isolation issues. The system in the LEAF is more like a high-efficiency, variable-speed home system except the supply voltage is about 400 volts DC instead of 240 volts AC.

ldallan said:
>> From your description, it sounds like it may be low on refrigerant

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Our 2015 base model Leaf with 52K miles is not putting out any cold air from the cabin vents. I thought I would try using a recharge kit with R134+ that includes sealant before taking the vehicle to the dealer.

I've watched several YouTube videos, and the procedure seems doable (famous last words?). However, I thought I would first check on this forum to see if the procedure is different, since there isn't an engine running that is turning the compressor.

Thx ...

My understanding is that the Leaf does not use r134a, but uses ND11. You would absolutely not want to put the wrong refrigerant in the car.

ldallan said:
I looked under the Leaf's hood, and found a decal indicating the A/C uses HFC134a refrigerant and AE10 non fluorescent oil
S uses AE10 oil while SV and SL (with heat pump system) use ND11 oil. Both systems use HFC134a refrigerant. I would not use leak detecting dye and/or sealant because they could reduce the dielectric strength (electrical insulation) level of the refrigerant system.

Idallan- best let a shop handle the a/c charge.
Reason being they will at the same time check for any leaks and repair if necessary.
In addition they will recharge with the correct amount of Freon and oil.
Something that you can't accomplish with the DIY can.

Idallan- best let a shop handle the a/c charge.
Reason being they will at the same time check for any leaks and repair if necessary.
In addition they will recharge with the correct amount of Freon and oil.
Something that you can't accomplish with the DIY can.

I would pull out all the refrigerant and then charge it.
The leaf doesn't like to be over charged.

Has anyone been able to source any HFC134a ?
I need to recharge mine but instead of paying +$300 for the stealership to do it, I have the equipment to do it myself, but even Nissan doesn't sell the stuff in anything less than a gallon at a time for way too much money. :lol:

knightmb said:
I need to recharge mine but instead of paying +$300 for the stealership to do it, I have the equipment to do it myself, but even Nissan doesn't sell the stuff in anything less than a gallon at a time for way too much money. :lol:

You can get it at most auto parts stores (R-134a). Why do you need to add some? The compressor is hermetically sealed so there should be no need to add refrigerant unless there is a leak somewhere. If you add refrigerant, be very careful not to overfill the system.

GerryAZ said:
knightmb said:

You can get it at most auto parts stores (R-134a). Why do you need to add some? The compressor is hermetically sealed so there should be no need to add refrigerant unless there is a leak somewhere. If you add refrigerant, be very careful not to overfill the system.

I know that R-134a is similar in behavior to HFC134a, but technically they are chemically different. I'm just trying to stick with what the sticker says on the hood. I can find it for sale online in large cans, but just too expensive for too much. Yeah, my leaf is nearing 60K miles after only 2 years and I never turn off my climate control, so some of it has leaked out over time and needs to be refilled. :?

Before going the recharge route, I suggest checking the performance with a vent thermometer to see if it is within specs. I was beginning to think my system performance was suffering but then I checked and the performance was smack in the middle of the specified targets taking into account the ambient temperature and humidity.

Back