Why would anyone buy a nissan leaf right now???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe not, but for those of us that a road trip isn't possible, I am not willing to chance they will add them. So that makes me lean strongly towards CCS or Tesla.

Why would anyone buy a Nissan Leaf right now?

Because it's cheap.

I just bought a new 2019 Leaf SV Plus for 20,321 after incentives and tax credits.

Wholy smokes batman, now see if I could get in that ballpark I would do it, 39,990 (without $7500 tax) is the best I can get within 150 miles from me and we have no state incentives.

berferd said:

Because it's cheap.

I just bought a new 2019 Leaf SV Plus for 20,321 after incentives and tax credits.

Sadly while Nissan builds good cars their middle name has become CHEAP over the last decade in the central USA. The Leaf is our 6th Nissan but the first one without a gas tank. I understand for financial reasons they have to start getting serious about dumping wasting assets.

If the Leaf meets your needs, why spend the extra for the M3? If its just for the tech gadget cool factor, I get that...though I consider my iPhone a turd compared to my cheap Android phones of the same vintage.

I don't know if I could even find 3 instances where an SR+ would have bought me any convienences over a Leaf Plus in the past 14 months. If I did lots of cross country trips I could understand, but might also just go phev.

I'm looking at a used 2013 now to replace on of my ICE cars. Why? Because it's cheap, has very few maintenance requirements, is perfect for the short around-town trips it will be used for and is fun to drive. A Tesla would be 10x or more the cost, I'd have to worry about damage (this will be a kids/wife car), would have higher insurance costs, etc. There are certainly cases where a Leaf is the right choice.

goldbrick said:
I'm looking at a used 2013 now to replace on of my ICE cars. Why? Because it's cheap, has very few maintenance requirements, is perfect for the short around-town trips it will be used for and is fun to drive. A Tesla would be 10x or more the cost, I'd have to worry about damage (this will be a kids/wife car), would have higher insurance costs, etc. There are certainly cases where a Leaf is the right choice.

You will never regret it. I have to use a Suburban for certain business activities, but fairly infrequently. The 2012 Leaf is my Wife's and my go-everywhere "suburban" vehicle. In hot TX, it's great to sit in cool comfort waiting in the parking lot for new Shoes to show up :D

Insurance is cheap (only liability), electricity is very cheap, no maintenance whatsoever (knocking wood right now). And I get to drive a little go cart (with my wife screaming). The only drawback is the front tires wear out really fast.

berferd said:

Because it's cheap.

Good point. I have read that historically the Leaf net selling price has been $20K but did not know an upscale Plus could be had for $20K. Leasing below Nissan's cost for the Leaf seems to have been a common practice over the years trying to buy market share.

While I want the Tesla self driving feature some day with the ground clearance of a Y or greater I am pleased we got the 21.5K miles 2016 Leaf SL for $13,418 and it now has a 150 mile range to start our EV experience. I think the model planned to come in at $25K will really bump up Tesla's numbers.

I have not read about 107 to 150 mile battery upgrades for a few months now.

Well it helps to be in Colorado. Last year Colorado had a 5k rebate, it is down to 4k now. This can be taken at the dealer. last year xcel (power company) gave a 2500 on the plus rebate at the dealer and MORE on the cheaper 40kw. he bought a 2019 and not a 2020 so that helps.

goldbrick said:
I'm looking at a used 2013 now to replace on of my ICE cars.

alas, I was too slow even though I responded in a matter of hours. It was a 10 bar 2013 SV and the asking price was $3900. Oh well....I'll keep looking.

LeftieBiker said:
Does Cwerdna still have his for sale?
Yes, but I haven't advertised it anywhere lately due to COVID-19 and we're not supposed to go to work unless there are specific reasons to. From what I gather, very few people are going to the office given the directions we've gotten.

I would hope that I don't have to go a low as $3900! I'm unfortunately (?), not in CO.

Why does this article suggest that Chademo is growing faster than CCS?

"The Type 4 CHAdeMO is projected to witness the highest growth during the forecast period"

Based on Charging Infrastructure, the Electric Vehicle Market studied across Type 1, Type 2, Type 3 CCS, and Type 4 CHAdeMO. The Type 4 CHAdeMO commanded the largest size in the Electric Vehicle Market in 2019, and it is expected to grow at the fastest CAGR during the forecast period.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/4759860#ixzz6U1PTPZKs

Just due to China?

DougWantsALeaf said:
Why does this article suggest that Chademo is growing faster than CCS?

"The Type 4 CHAdeMO is projected to witness the highest growth during the forecast period"

Based on Charging Infrastructure, the Electric Vehicle Market studied across Type 1, Type 2, Type 3 CCS, and Type 4 CHAdeMO. The Type 4 CHAdeMO commanded the largest size in the Electric Vehicle Market in 2019, and it is expected to grow at the fastest CAGR during the forecast period.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/4759860#ixzz6U1PTPZKs

Just due to China?
Doubtful CHAdeMO growth is due to China since that's not what's used there. They have a GB/T DC FC standard there.

https://greentransportation.info/ev-charging/range-confidence/chap8-tech/img/iec-fast-charging-all-standards.jpg (from https://greentransportation.info/ev-charging/range-confidence/chap8-tech/ev-dc-fast-charging-standards-chademo-ccs-sae-combo-tesla-supercharger-etc.html) has a pic.

China and Japan have combined their standards, so didnt now if they were counted together or not. That said, its amazing to see the Chademo growth this year.

Also, it looks like the Leaf is still doing great in Ireland.

https://www.tipperarylive.ie/news/motoring/562989/nissan-leaf-is-most-popular-irish-electric-vehicle.html

cwerdna said:
I would hope that I don't have to go a low as $3900! I'm unfortunately (?), not in CO.

I'd guess an 2013-2015 11 bar SV with Premium would fetch ~ $7000 here in CO unless there were issues with the car. Or not....most folks don't really understand the differences and go by year and mileage.

Back