62kwh Leaf Plus Efficiency Posting

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DougWantsALeaf said:
July on our SV+ per nissan connect:

4.4 miles per kWh. 299 miles

We put something over 1000 miles on our S+ with multiple 200 mile day trips. Not sure what overall efficiency was, but would guess upper 4s given amount of freeway driving.

I am somewhat surprised you don't record your driving stats. The trip computer makes it easy.

Based on daily trip computer info

Miles driven; 1551.5@ 4.8 miles/kwh

Other news; adjustment #3 is in the books and that drops me to 6% loss so far. This is actually a worse pace than my 40 kwh which lost 3.6% on same mileage, or 4.94% if matching time.

But its partially coincidence as the 2018 had an adjustment 5 weeks later that increased its loss to 6.61% so probably about the same rate.

One thing to note; I lost .69 % in the next 11, 000 miles before trading up.

2500 miles, wow. That is an active month.

Dave, it does sounds like the degradation curve is the same. Almost...algorithmic. That might also explain why my S+ after sitting on the lot for 8-9 months was only down to 98.5% as total miles was less than 10 miles on the odometer until we bought it. By now, it should have had 3 adjustments, yet feels like only 1. (Dec, Mar, June)

I charged my SV+ with 8800 miles to 100% this morning (94.36% SoH). Total GOM was 267 (it didn't fully balance, so might have gained 1 more) on normal driving. I sometimes forget the EPA is only 215. Whole I rarely fully charge the car, there is a certain satisfaction in having over 200 on the GOM.

That is the reason I upgraded to the Plus. Still very reasonably priced and yeah, I got a deal but even after losing 20% I will still have 200 miles of range and I expect this car will do the same as most are doing. Rapid loss of 7-8% then it slows way down. We shall see but I think this car will fit my needs longer than my desire to keep it. But I am certain it will at least be paid off when that time comes

I saw on Facebook someone was offering a CAN bridge device which would let you aise the top end voltage in a Leaf something like 4.12 to 4.2v. Supposedly it ups range about 8%. I have heard rumors that some of Teslas "optimizations" included voltage changes as well.

Do you think its safe?

DougWantsALeaf said:
I saw on Facebook someone was offering a CAN bridge device which would let you aise the top end voltage in a Leaf something like 4.12 to 4.2v. Supposedly it ups range about 8%. I have heard rumors that some of Teslas "optimizations" included voltage changes as well.

Do you think its safe?
Not if you want to keep your battery warranty intact and minimize battery deterioration. I doubt that it applies to the 62 kWh battery because mine already charges to about 402.25 volts (402.25/96=4.19 volts per cell). Even if you could raise the volts/cell even higher, it would not increase actual range significantly because I don't see much useable range difference when I stop charging a bit early (as long as car is in charge taper/cell balance mode).

4.2 volts is the maximum voltage for most lithium cells. There are bicycle BMS units with the 4.2V setting, and the packs don't last as long as those set to less than 100% actual SOC.

DougWantsALeaf said:

Do you think its safe?

Safe? DK, but smart? definitely not. Your gain in range isn't worth the accelerated degradation. There IS proof that high voltage increases the rate of degradation.

It MIGHT be safe to do it as a one time thing when charging for an extra long trip, as long as the trip started as soon as the charge ended. As a default, no way.

LeftieBiker said:
It MIGHT be safe to do it as a one time thing when charging for an extra long trip, as long as the trip started as soon as the charge ended. As a default, no way.

Yeah and I actually did that for my Yakima trip in the 40. It was 168 miles over White Pass so I simply unplugged and plugged it back in after the charge completed. It would take as much as 10 mins before the charge rate dropped below 5 amps and when it did, I would unplug, wait 10 seconds and plug back in and it would start the battery evaluation process all over again but even after doing that 4 times, I didn't gain a single GID ?

Yeah, agreed not worth it.

GerryAZ, with the 118F recorded in Arizona this past week, did your Plus hold up ok?

Separately, I was watching the Out of Spec Motoring North Dakota and Montana road trip in their LR Model 3. Some times they cut it very close, which I am not sure I would do with that sparse infrastructure that far north. In watching the off road sections, I quickly looked up that the M3 has just under 5.5" of ground clearance vs. the 7 1/2" (S+) or 8" (SV+/SL+). How much extra efficiency do you think that those 2 inches give the M3?

The month of July 2020 was the hottest month on record in Phoenix. The average temperature was 99.0 degrees F. There have been more days with official (Sky Harbor International Airport) low temperatures of 90 F or higher already this year than any previous year. I have a photo of the dash that shows ambient temperature of 118 F at 1759 MST on Thursday with the battery temperature bar graph 1 notch below the first red dot. The A/C performs fine under those conditions and I really appreciate the light colored leather interior which absorbs much less heat than the black leather in the 2015.

The latest 90-day adjustment on my car happened 7/19 through 7/20 and it resulted in significant AHr and SOH reduction. The gradual decline has continued since then with numbers right now: AHr=167.84, SOH=95.15%, Hx=105.33, Odo=19,322, QC=7, L1/L2=135. I plan to do my next full discharge test next weekend so I will have another data point showing actual energy storage capability after that.

By the way, I noticed there is a series of numbers in the lower right corner of the Monroney label (window sticker) that appears to have the manufacture date. My number starts off with 2019071900..... and the latest LEAF Spy number adjustment happened on 7/19 through 7/20 so I believe 7/19/2019 was when the computers were activated.

GerryAZ said:
The month of July 2020 was the hottest month on record in Phoenix. The average temperature was 99.0 degrees F. There have been more days with official (Sky Harbor International Airport) low temperatures of 90 F or higher already this year than any previous year. I have a photo of the dash that shows ambient temperature of 118 F at 1759 MST on Thursday with the battery temperature bar graph 1 notch below the first red dot. The A/C performs fine under those conditions and I really appreciate the light colored leather interior which absorbs much less heat than the black leather in the 2015.

The latest 90-day adjustment on my car happened 7/19 through 7/20 and it resulted in significant AHr and SOH reduction. The gradual decline has continued since then with numbers right now: AHr=167.84, SOH=95.15%, Hx=105.33, Odo=19,322, QC=7, L1/L2=135. I plan to do my next full discharge test next weekend so I will have another data point showing actual energy storage capability after that.

By the way, I noticed there is a series of numbers in the lower right corner of the Monroney label (window sticker) that appears to have the manufacture date. My number starts off with 2019071900..... and the latest LEAF Spy number adjustment happened on 7/19 through 7/20 so I believe 7/19/2019 was when the computers were activated.

Even with your big drop, you still have more time and more miles than me and better numbers. I am thinking my reliance on DC charging is the likely culprit.

I don't know what to believe at this point--need more time and distance to know for sure. I doubt that QC is an issue in your cool climate. My LEAF Spy numbers really did not start to drop until I started telecommuting in March (reduced both daily mileage and highway driving). Since I doubt that I will be returning to the office on a routine basis any time soon, I may not find out if more daily miles and more highway driving improves LEAF Spy numbers (or at least reduces rate of decline).

Edited to add:
Efficiency for July: 1244 miles driven on odometer X 1.037 odometer error=1290 actual miles driven; charging energy from wall was 495.71 kWh so wall to wheels efficiency was 1290/495.71=2.6 mi/kWh. Efficiency is low due to numerous short trips with lots of A/C use so a significant amount of energy was used to cool the interior at the start of each trip (small price to pay for comfort).

August
SV+
705 miles
4.5 Efficiency. Lots of AC

About 500 miles in the S+
Not sure about efficiency as no Nissan Connect.
Local usually 5.7 m/kWh
Highway very dependent on speed.

Our S+ has been exactly the same for June July and August- 4.5 m/KWH, hilly dirt roads and very little AC, miles approximately 1000/ month. Winter is way worse because we use heat a LOT and AC almost never.....

Back