V2H through ChadeMo port

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Icarus said:
Charging of the Leaf would occur via the CCS port (but not at the same time!). Hopefully I'm not displaying my complete 'dumb' ignorance on the subject, but I need to start researching somewhere.
What CCS port? Leafs don't have CCS.

Icarus said:
Thanks. I've looked a bit closer at the schematic on the previous page.

System Main Relay 1 and System Main Relay 2 seem to be accessible via the connection points on Pins 14 and 17 of the battery interface. Would it be feasible to parallel an appropriate voltage onto those pins to activate the relays? Thus bypassing the handshake protocols?

Please keep in mind the 'use case' for the CHAdeMO port is discharge only. The solar inverter load would be self-regulating to a maximum of 5.2kW discharge. I don't need or intend to use the CHAdeMO port for charging.

I anticipate I would modify the CHAdeMO port to be a simple physical interface only for connection to the Leaf. ie. I've watched a video where the main DC cables are spliced into a 'Y's at the battery connection point and bypass the DC\DC Junction Box.

I had similar thoughts of tapping into the heater circuit when I purchased my leaf with a scheme of charging via the on board charger and discharging (in emergency) via the approx 10 kW heater circuit that is protected by it's own fuse. Physically, it seemed quite simple and living in south TX, I could modify/remove the heater as I never use it anyway. I've done something conceptually similar with my "PriUPS" system using the "big" high voltage UPSs. Issues included the energy draw leaving the Leaf in standby mode - and - I liked the Leaf so much, I decided not to take the chance of "bricking" it. Waiting on a commercial V2G/V2H unit :mrgreen:

Still no real progress on finding a V2X solution for the leaf. After searching and searching online, I realized that it will never happen or it will cost somewhere in the 4 thousand USD.

The biggest issue, which no one has addressed, is the battery life. Nissan's current warranty is based on years or mileage. If one charges and discharges the leaf battery constantly, I could see it easily fail within the warranty period. Vehicle manufacturers will never let that happen. It's too much uncontrollable risk.

Coacervate said:
Could anyone help me understand how to close the battery relay to give connection through from the Chademo port? I can't find any information on all the little pinouts but I am sure they are looking for a signal from the charger for which they were intended. I suppose this info is guarded to protect the innocent. Well, I am not that and my friend knows what he is doing so we should get an exemption... smile

Best wishes and thanks in advance

How did you go with this? any luck?

I'd be interested in a less ambitious "discharger" that wouldn't power the whole home but could just keep the fridge running in a power outage, but I guess that doesn't exist either and never will (except some overpriced iffy Alibaba junk), despite CHAdeMO's bidirectional abilities.

psalmon said:
I'd be interested in a less ambitious "discharger" that wouldn't power the whole home but could just keep the fridge running in a power outage, but I guess that doesn't exist either and never will (except some overpriced iffy Alibaba junk), despite CHAdeMO's bidirectional abilities.

You can accomplish that by using a 1kw-1.5kw 12 to 120 volt inverter (pure sine wave to make electronic devices happy). Connect it to the 12 volt battery + and to a vehicle ground with heavy cables, and leave the car in Ready mode. The car will continuously charge the 12 volt battery as it discharges, providing the needed power. I strongly suggest that you use a "buffer battery" of higher capacity that is connected to the car's 12 volt battery, if you will be pulling loads near 1500 watts.

LeftieBiker said:
I strongly suggest that you use a "buffer battery" of higher capacity that is connected to the car's 12 volt battery, if you will be pulling loads near 1500 watts.
See, that's why it would be so much nicer to have basically an extension cord with an inverter brick on it. But since Chad will soon be extinct, oh well...

I have not seen mention of. this company:
https://www.setec-power.com/product/vehicle-to-home-v2h-6kw/

I emailed for pricing and to see if they have units installed. Even with overproduction on PV I’m back to $50 / mo electric. Not a lot of money but large battery systems are expensive and theV2h makes sense.

mcain said:
I have not seen mention of. this company:
https://www.setec-power.com/product/vehicle-to-home-v2h-6kw/

I emailed for pricing and to see if they have units installed. Even with overproduction on PV I’m back to $50 / mo electric. Not a lot of money but large battery systems are expensive and theV2h makes sense.

I think you'll find that in fact it doesn't make sense, based on the cost of the Setec V2H unit, which is only single phase. It's not clear from the specs, but for 120V output it's likely 20A max, so 2.4 kW max output.

To expand on what LeftieBiker mentioned, you could charge (2) 12V SOK 100 Ah LiFePO4 batteries ($1200 for both), wired in parallel, from the LEAF's DC-DC converter and run a 2000w pure sine inverter ($500) off of the SOK bank, albeit with only 2.4 kWh of capacity. But that should be enough for a buffer battery, so you wouldn't have to hookup the LEAF all that often to transfer energy from the LEAF's pack to the SOK pack unless you were trying to power your entire house :)

I don't think it would be a good idea to use more than two SOKs in parallel, as that would be too much load on the LEAF's DC-DC converter...

For emergency backup power, 2.4 kWh could last 24 hrs, if you're just powering a fridge and some LED lights. During an extended power outage, if you could drive the LEAF once a day to a location with functional EV charging, you could provide emergency power indefinitely.

Back