Pedestrian Warning Sound opportunity

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I admit I have not looked into this.
If the sound is coming from the module, and the speaker is just a speaker, then there is a chip on the module board that is the source of the sound generation.
Someone with the time and know how should be able to pull that chip, read it, program another chip, but using the jetson sound, my personal preference, and reinstall it.

Any takers?

I'm not sure if this sound is required by a federal or particular state law, but if it is, disabling or modifying it may be illegal, not that you'd ever get a ticket for it. But, if it is illegal to modify the sound, and if you were to hit a pedestrian, and if they found out you modified it, you could be liable to that person for his injuries.

For the record, I'd also vote for the Jetson sound. Or maybe the theme from Shaft. :lol:

Despite the warning noise I still get people stepping out in front of me, especially in parking lots. I think they may hear it but not recognize it as an approaching car. I've even had a pedestrian run into me!

Foible said:
Despite the warning noise I still get people stepping out in front of me, especially in parking lots. I think they may hear it but not recognize it as an approaching car. I've even had a pedestrian run into me!
There is no legal requirement for this sound yet. It's been proposed but I'm not sure what that status of this legislation was and if and when it takes effect. The sound Nissan picked and its other parameters were their decision. Other EVs solved the problem differently or don't offer a warning sound at all. As I said before, there are other threads with more substational information about the VSP. This thread was resurrected by a new forum member because he could not find anything better. There is even a post by Ingineer describing the chip used by the sound synthesizer and how to program it. All this takes is a little bit of time and effort.

Yesterday in the grocery store parking lot, I'd shifted into Reverse gear (dinging sound is activated) and still couldn't get the attention of the doofus couple who'd, seconds later, blocked my right rear quarter panel with their grocery cart to unload into the car on my right. I sat there, car dinging and waiting, waiting and dinging, waiting...until I finally had to drop my right rear window and politely ask them if I was clear - then the guy's brain activated and he moved his cart out of the way (duh). They'd arrived behind my car just as I'd shifted into Reverse and they were ogling her, so it should have been obvious with my reverse lights on and the dinging that I was trying to leave (there was even eye contact with the guy as I looked over my shoulder). Reverse lights & sound alerts don't necessarily equate to intelligent reception! :roll:

Audio Power Amplifier ICs for Electric Vehicle Warning Sound System - with simulated engine sound
http://www.powerpulse.net/story.php?storyID=29398;s=022120141" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The article doesn't mention any ability to select which engine sound you would like, but the MUTE capability might be useful.

“The pedestrian warning law isn't in effect yet, nor could I find anything in the bill ( http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c ... 11UTU44d::) that says it's illegal to disable/change the sound. It just says that the manufacturer cannot make it so the sound can be disabled. It says nothing about us changing it.”
Disabling a safety device provided by the manufacturer may not be illegal (criminal) but it sure can be used against you in a lawsuit. It may show a callous disregard for the safety and lives of others.
The expression of concern over a blind friend who was unable to hear the warning sound can justify modifying the device to be more audible but going the other way is IMO unwise.

If I had a leaf that the noise generator couldn't be turned off, I would turn it off with a hammer.
That thing is incredibly irritating.
Use the horn.

If sound is safe then the standard should be a porsche 918. Which has the distinction of being the loudest mass produced car ever.

Foible said:

On my antique EV I’ve had people ram their shopping cart into the rear battery box while it was parked and unoccupied.

My guess is a steam whistle might almost be loud enough to get their attention

Back