TSLA corporate outlook

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The main competition is backed by Ice business. If they have to pull their EV offerings from the market it will be because of low demand and not because they went under, low demand for EVs would not be good news for Tesla as well.

Valdemar said:
The main competition is backed by Ice business. If they have to pull their EV offerings from the market it will be because of low demand and not because they went under, low demand for EVs would not be good news for Tesla as well.

I think that is unlikely.
More likely is ICE manufacturers will fail because of lack of demand for ICE vehicles, not EVs.
So far, EVs have taken about 2% of the market. This number is growing.
Traditional manufacturers have to be ready for the switch. I don’t know if the switch will be in 2 years, or 30, but it will happen.

Zythryn said:
Valdemar said:

More likely is ICE manufacturers will fail because of lack of demand for ICE vehicles, not EVs.
Traditional manufacturers have to be ready for the switch. I don’t know if the switch will be in 2 years, or 30, but it will happen.

I find it hard to understand people can think EV's are in trouble. Building EV'S may not be rocket science but with only one profitable EV maker maybe rocket science is a requirement.

ICE makers that are operating in the red fully understand the game is over for them when their lenders pull the plug on them.

EVs are not going away, the growth is not as fast as I had hoped. I still hear the same old stuff. My boss wants to drive across Kansas and is worried about range, most EVs go over 200 miles there are chargers. It takes too long to charge. How is 30-40 minutes too long? Just take a break and walk around a little? I had some othere go on about my acceptance of low expectations and putting up with long charging times. I suspect they or their children will eventually change over and the EV market will continue to grow. I was just hoping at this point with long distance charging networks and many EVs that can go a couple hundred miles (Tesla, Kia, Bolt, Audi) and drive those long distance we'd hit a quick turning point but I just don't see it yet, seems more gradual. Young people are often not seeing cars as needed more of a service so there is that shift going on too. I have heard for years people say ICE is going to collapse just wait, sure it is but it looks to be a slow process.

Zythryn said:
Valdemar said:

If there is demand for EVs the traditional manufacturers will ramp up their efforts to make them. Yes Tesla is leading in the niche today, but if EVs go mainstream will they be able to maintain this leadership? More compelling EVs are on the horizon, Nissan Ariya, Volvo XC40 recharge. Ford Mach E. They will surely take away some of the potential Tesla customers already. Even RAV4 Prime buyers will be cross-shopping the MY I'm sure.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TeslaModelY/comments/h13juq/is_it_just_me_or_that_model_ys_air_conditioning/

Tesla's one advantage is that it has a lead in the North American market and has a whole local partnership with Panasonic. Everywhere else, like the EU, its competitors are on home turf.

coleafrado said:
https://www.reddit.com/r/TeslaModelY/comments/h13juq/is_it_just_me_or_that_model_ys_air_conditioning/

Tesla's one advantage is that it has a lead in the North American market and has a whole local partnership with Panasonic. Everywhere else, like the EU, its competitors are on home turf.
Tesla has at least two advantages. The first is a comprehensive charging network and the second is technical expertise in battery chemistry and manufacturing. Neither one is likely to be challenged anytime soon. Tesla is also not burdened with a legacy ICE installed base. ICE manufacturers can't produce and sell EV's without hurting their main business model..

smkettner said:
Don't forget the independent dealer network that will also favor ICE for a loooong time. Not just in sales but due to lack of service profits.

Quite true, I've lately been thinking of dealer networks as reputational liabilities.

ABG:
Tesla safety investigation launched in South Korea

The automaker's Autopilot feature is part of the investigation

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/07/29/tesla-safety-investigation-autopilot-south-korea/

. . . Braking and steering systems including the Autopilot function were part of the investigation, a transport ministry official said on Wednesday. The ministry declined to elaborate, but South Korean media said Tesla's Model 3 was under investigation, and the probe might take anywhere from six months to a year.

Tesla would cooperate with the investigation, an official at its South Korean unit said. . . .

johnlocke said:
Tesla has at least two advantages. The first is a comprehensive charging network and the second is technical expertise in battery chemistry and manufacturing. Neither one is likely to be challenged anytime soon. Tesla is also not burdened with a legacy ICE installed base. ICE manufacturers can't produce and sell EV's without hurting their main business model..
The first advantage could be enough to make Musk the first Trillionaire.

The second walks out the door everyday. Or logs off at home everyday. Tomorrow could be different. Tesla doesn't need anything more than the commodity batteries.

IEVS:
German Court Suspends Driver For Adjusting Wiper Speed In Tesla Model 3

https://insideevs.com/news/436912/driver-suspended-adjusting-wiper-speed-model-3/

A recent verdict from Germany will start a fascinating discussion. The Higher Regional Court in Karlsruhe confirmed that a driver would have to be suspended from driving for a month. He was sentenced to that because he drove his Tesla Model 3 into an embankment and hit some trees after trying to adjust the windshield wiper speed on the touchscreen.

This driver, which did not have his identity revealed, suffered this accident on the evening of March 15, 2019. The first lawsuit he was subject to happened on August 22, 2019, and he was condemned to pay a €200 fine and got suspended from driving for one month. The 1 Rb 36 Ss 832/19 lawsuit if the final one, and it does not admit any appeal.

According to judges involved with this lawsuit, "the touchscreen permanently installed in the Tesla vehicle is an electronic device." Therefore, its operation "is permitted to the motor vehicle driver only under the conditions" of German's regulation, "without it being of any importance what purpose the motor vehicle driver pursues with its operation."

Before you come up with the old saying that you never know what you'll find in verdicts and baby diapers, the judges gave many reasons to consider the infotainment screen at the Model 3 as an "electronic device." Although the driver said that the speedometer there makes it a "safety control panel," the court ruled it could not be considered as such when a quick gaze is not enough for him to check a submenu with five options. The driver would also be to blame because he had not "observed the care required in road traffic."

Whether you agree with the German judge's reasoning or not, it is crucial to consider the decision opens an in-depth discussion as to whether fundamental functions in a car, such as windshield wipers, should have anything to do with a touchscreen or not. . . .

Tesla interior ergonomics are a deal killer for us. Great cars. Will never own one until they change these aspects of the design.

Some day we'll have automation that really works, in the meantime, no thank you at any price.

-b

frontrangeleaf said:
Tesla interior ergonomics are a deal killer for us. Great cars. Will never own one until they change these aspects of the design.

Some day we'll have automation that really works, in the meantime, no thank you at any price.

-b

Same here even if they met my other requirements, which they currently don't. This is also relevant, from three weeks back - electrek:

Tesla Autopilot and Full Self-Driving claims are judged ‘misleading’ by German court

https://electrek.co/2020/07/14/tesl...riving-claims-judged-misleading-german-court/

smkettner said:
GRA said:
IEVS:
German Court Suspends Driver For Adjusting Wiper Speed In Tesla Model 3

I would think this was available by voice command. That or pull over if you are drilling menus.
I agree with the judge.

I also agree with the judge, but not the misleading headlines.
The driver was suspended, for crashing his car. The driver was distracted he says, by trying to adjust windshield wipers.

As for “drilling down” the wiper controls pop up to the top when the wiper is activated from the left stalk.

Back