Leaf Price / Discount discussion thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many on this board find the Bolt less comfortable to drive, and the smaller boot space (seats up) reduces some of the Utility.

Very much agree that the bolt has better batteries. As more data comes out, they appear to be doing as well or better than Tesla batteries. GM should get much better press about how well they did on their first time out with a full EV in that space. I am sure the slower DC charging rate helps a little bit.

On some of the model 3 chat groups, there is an (anecdotal) whine appearing about some of the early degradation of 5-10% many owners are facing in the first 2 years. I don't know what is real vs. perceived vs. just GOM differences, but the noise level is growing a bit.

I know my closest dealer, as of earlier this week, still had 3 2019 SV plus's sitting on there lot.

In my area in CA you have 4 rebates and credits:

Fed tax credit, CA rebate, SCE rebate, Local Air district Rebate

Those add up to 14k+

The three at the dealer are priced at around "asking" 35k. So before any negotiation you would walk out at 21k, not including tax title and tags.

Realistically though I'm betting you could talk them down to as low as 30k. The math then would be 30k * 1.09 (Tax, etc) - 14k
=18.7k out the door (rough math)

That's not bad! My 2018 SV was 15.5k out the door last may.

danrjones said:
I know my closest dealer, as of earlier this week, still had 3 2019 SV plus's sitting on there lot.

Those add up to 14k+
In my area of CA, for me, I'd only be eligible for Federal tax credit ($7500) and PG&E clean fuel rebate ($800 at https://www.pge.com/en_US/residential/solar-and-vehicles/options/clean-vehicles/electric/clean-fuel-rebate-for-electric-vehicles.page). I make way too much $ to qualify for the $2000 CA CVRP (https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/eng/eligible-vehicles) and there's no darn way we'd have any local air district incentive or rebate. I guess our air quality would really need to tank for any chance of the latter.

FWIW, the Nissan rebate on 2020 is now $4000, up from $3000 in June/July.

Wonder how high this rebate gets each year - anyone know the max, and the month it happens?

2019 rebates disappeared off the page, reflecting almost no 2019s around, but dealer applied same $4k on a quote.

DougWantsALeaf said:
As more data comes out, they appear to be doing as well or better than Tesla batteries.
Too bad you do not have anything other than a few anecdotes to back up your assertion.

danrjones said:

Those add up to 14k+

The three at the dealer are priced at around "asking" 35k. So before any negotiation you would walk out at 21k, not including tax title and tags.

Realistically though I'm betting you could talk them down to as low as 30k. The math then would be 30k * 1.09 (Tax, etc) - 14k
=18.7k out the door (rough math)

That's not bad! My 2018 SV was 15.5k out the door last may.

I just purchased a SL+ and a number of dealerships had internet pricing after rebates at $24-$28. When I contacted most of these dealerships to get information on the specific rebates they either included the federal rebate already, wouldn't provide the information or let me know that I wouldn't qualify for all of them.

I went to my local dealership who listed $24k for the 2019 SL+ and when I got there was told out the door the price would be $35k.

I ended up buying from a dealer that was nearly 2 hours away but they sent me a signed quote. When I arrived all the paperwork was ready and I signed everything within 15 min.

act0fgod said:
I ended up buying from a dealer that was nearly 2 hours away but they sent me a signed quote. When I arrived all the paperwork was ready and I signed everything within 15 min.
What did you buy, and what was the OTD cost before and after tax credits ?

Good Luck with your car !

I don't expect to buy another LEAF but if I was so inclined I would wait for CCS LEAFs to hit the market and then look for a cheap 40 kWh CHAdeMO for local driving.

SageBrush said:
What did you buy, and what was the OTD cost before and after tax credits ?

Good Luck with your car !

$32,159 OTD for 2019 SL+ before federal tax credit. It needed to be financed but they let me put $25k down and in CO we can pay off early without penalty.

I would suggest nabbing a used Plus (preferably S+) instead. The versatility difference of 180-200+ miles vs. 120-150 is pretty large. Having done now dozens of 4 hour plus driving time trips with a 100+ mile each way distance on a charge (so no charging stops) just eliminates angst, especially as an experienced EV driver.

As many were bought in the lowe 20s or even high teens (CO), in 4 years they should be pretty cheap, yet very useable.

DougWantsALeaf said:
As many were bought in the lowe 20s or even high teens (CO), in 4 years they should be pretty cheap, yet very useable.

They'll also mostly be around 80-85% health by then

goldbrick said:
My 2017 S is on track to be at about 91-92% SOH at 4 years old.
I believe that for a cool climate LEAF that avoids DC charging. PNW LEAFs also have good track records in general, as do Northern Europe LEAFs.

Heck, even our 2013 Gen1 LEAF has not degraded this past year according to LEAFspy and still has > 54 Ahr. I don't really believe that completely, but I'm optimistic of < 2% annual capacity loss. It also goes to show that babied enough in a moderate environment, even a LEAF can age somewhat gracefully.

I'm still not sure how much my Tesla Model 3 battery degraded in 27 months, it is still within the rounding error. The calc ignoring sig digits works out to 1.2%

Yeah, most M3 batteries appear to be pretty good. The Northern Leaf batteries have performed almost as admirably if you consider the miles are on a pack 1/3rd the size.

There is this handful which owners refer to as losing the battery lottery that have lost 8-15%, and complain they get little simpathy from Tesla. Since it is all anecdotal, it's likely a small % of overall units. I am curious what happens in that handful that causes them to underperform? (Beyond maybe owner abuse)

Bjorm just did a video about a 2013 S85 that is still in the low 90s in terms of capacity. Pretty good

DougWantsALeaf said:
There is this handful which owners refer to as losing the battery lottery that have lost 8-15%,
That is uncertain, as I wrote above. Read the miscalibration thread.
Bjorm just did a video about a 2013 S85 that is still in the low 90s in terms of capacity.
95% capacity remains. Your inability to keep simple facts straight is impressive. And it is not just "pretty good," it is approaching 10x better than the LEAF in terms of battery degradation from the same era. Heck, the LEAF from 2020 is still a league behind in terms of degradation and DC charging.

That car is being sold, on offer for $37k USD
That model sold for $72,400 after fed tax credit in the USA in 2013. If the values are similar today in the USA then the car depreciated ~ $420 a month. Amazing

uc

SageBrush said:
Bjorm just did a video about a 2013 S85 that is still in the low 90s in terms of capacity.
95% capacity remains. Your inability to keep simple facts straight is impressive. And it is not just "pretty good," it is approaching 10x better than the LEAF in terms of battery degradation from the same era.
[/quote]
Oh? Coworker has a 2013 Leaf with over 90% SOC. L1 charged mostly, commuting mostly, over 80k miles. His battery is in better shape than mine with more miles and more years on it. I've done a lot of DCQCs, he has done exactly one.

WetEV said:
SageBrush said:
95% capacity remains. Your inability to keep simple facts straight is impressive. And it is not just "pretty good," it is approaching 10x better than the LEAF in terms of battery degradation from the same era.
Oh? Coworker has a 2013 Leaf with over 90% SOC. L1 charged mostly, commuting mostly, over 80k miles. His battery is in better shape than mine with more miles and more years on it. I've done a lot of DCQCs, he has done exactly one.
[/quote]

Arguing with a cherry orchard owner?

We "could" pony up the 2015 LEAF that went 150,000 miles with 12 bars but what is the point?

WetEV, eMobility in the comments challenged his assertion about starting capacity, believing it to be 77.5kWh, not 75..so low 90s is accurate enough either way. He also cited that his M3 was not doing as well if you are looking to be picky. I don't really care if it was 93 or 95.

The S85 was pristinely maintained, guessing with excellent charging practices. My comment was a genuine compliment to Tesla, and the owner and shows how well EVs can hold up if well treated.

Back