Automatic headlights - Stalk & sensor transplant into an S

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turbo3 said:
tk1971 said:
akkord64 said:
I was working on this in parallel with you and have had my glove box removed for over 3 months while I struggle getting this working! I also tried the Leaf Spy option, but I still am unable to get auto to function. I did purchase a rogue stalk and bought a maxima sensor (which may be an issue for me, not sure yet) and everything seems to function normally except the auto-on functionality. Carefully reading your posts it seems to indicate there was something else in addition to the LeafSpy pro enablement that you needed to do. Can you share your detailed steps beyond the hardware and Leafspy pro steps?

Your comment - But I did get the Auto Headlights feature to work with the help of Jim the "LeafSpy" guy. He helped me "activate" the option in my car with a little program and the ODBII bluetooth connector that I use with LeafSpy Pro.

What is this little program?

If you have LeafSpy Pro already, go to the support links and contact the creator of the app. He said he would incorporate the final Auto switch function in the next rev of the program. He may work it out with you to beta test the program with this feature.
Test version 0.40.105 now includes the ability to detect if Auto Headlights is not enabled and give you the option to enable. Of course you must have the necessary hardware installed for this to actually do anything. Don't know what happens if you enable but did not install the hardware. Maybe nothing or maybe you get a DTC.

I have tried (stupid me) to activate Auto Lights before installing hardware. Now, I have sensor and Combination Switch installed - but Auto Light is not working (headlights are always on). I'm not sure if this is hardware issue (doesn't seem that BCM is providing 5V to the sensor, I can measure only something low as 0.1 - 0.15 volts)
But to be sure that this is not related to BCM configuration - may I kindly ask you for your small apps that you used before for changing BCM settings outside of LeafSpy Pro (and yes - I have PRO bought on Play Market - I can prove if needed)

tk1971 said:
Stalk pn: 25560-3KA8E combination switch

Optical sensor pn: 28576-1HH0A

I'm going to try installing the combination switch and sensor to see if I can get auto headlights in my '15 S.

I have an independent mechanic who says his Nissan Consult works on a 2014. Anyone know if that will work on a 2015? I think the BCM needs to be programmed to turn on the auto headlights.

Don't even know it the wiring for the sensor is there. If not I'll wire it up to the BCM.

Let's have some fun.

Hi!

Do you remember, when you've started implementing this - did you have voltage on Sensor Power pin? what was the value? I have also 2015 S trim, however, I can measure only something small like 0.1 volts on Power pin on BCM socket. So, I'm unsure if power should be permanently there or only after BCM will be configured properly for Auto Lights feature.

goodwinc said:
tk1971 said:
Stalk pn: 25560-3KA8E combination switch

Optical sensor pn: 28576-1HH0A

I'm going to try installing the combination switch and sensor to see if I can get auto headlights in my '15 S.

I have an independent mechanic who says his Nissan Consult works on a 2014. Anyone know if that will work on a 2015? I think the BCM needs to be programmed to turn on the auto headlights.

Don't even know it the wiring for the sensor is there. If not I'll wire it up to the BCM.

Let's have some fun.

Hi!

Do you remember, when you've started implementing this - did you have voltage on Sensor Power pin? what was the value? I have also 2015 S trim, however, I can measure only something small like 0.1 volts on Power pin on BCM socket. So, I'm unsure if power should be permanently there or only after BCM will be configured properly for Auto Lights feature.

I remember there was voltage from the Power pin, not the sensor pin. My guess was that power went into the sensor and based on the sensor's reaction to light, would give a modified signal (voltage?) back to the sensor pin which the BCM would interpret.

As I recall I also mistakenly swapped power/signal connections on my first attempt and either the used sensor was already dead or I killed the sensor. I needed to buy a new one to work.

Unfortunately, I can't check it now since I just sold the Leaf this past weekend. Good luck.

Just did this in 2017 Leaf S. Turn signal quick tap (3-flashes) works as before. Dashboard brightness now auto adapt to environment condition. Brighter in the day, dimmer at night.

I found these interesting in addition to orignial post:

It might be a good idea to read DTC before and after.

To remove combo switch cover, turn steering wheel left and right to expose the 2 hidden top screws on each side.

BEFORE removing combo switch and BCM, disconnect 12V battery. Follow 12V battery removal procedure specific for Nissan Leaf.

M24 connector is the most challenging part. BCM can be removed by first remove 2 screws holding the BCM then lift the BCM out from the 2 clips on the front. M24 connector is the one shown on pictures. Follow tk1971's wiring exactly. The cable I got has different color codes. On the connector, pick open the white tab a little bit allows insertion of dusk sensor power and input pins. Soldering splice requires steady surgeon hands. I cannot find a tiny wire striper so I first cut the existing KEYLESS TUNNER GND blue wire, connect with sensor GND, slide in heatshrink tube, then solder the 3 wires together. The blue wire is 3mm shorter now.

M24 ECU BCM connector by flic kr, on Flickr

M24 ECU BCM connector by flic kr, on Flickr

After installing everything, just answer latest LeafSpy Pro (from Google Play Store) prompt the AUTO light hardware is installed, it will enable the hardware and features on service screen. No other app needed.

Quick post:
I Just proceeded with the upgrade, and it works.
From a 2015 Leaf SV
Took the stalks and sensor from a 2011 Murano with auto light.
My Leaf had the harness for the sensor already in place
The new stalks fitted without issues
Then used Leaf Spy Pro to activate, again, without issues.

Phillips screwdriver for the 6 screws required for the stalk
Flatheat to pry the sensor plate
A step-drill to make the new sensor hole in the plate
I used a bit of 5-min epoxy to make sur the sensor did not exit the new hole under the "push" of the wires.

Thanks to everyone on the thread, you all made this possible.
Thanks!!

Hello! I'd like to knock out this mod on my 2015 S, but I'm not confident I can do exclusively through text. Does anyone have copies of the pictures the OP posted when this thread started? Appreciate any help!

Back