Best Value on a VIN Check

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baumgrenze

Has anyone had a good experience getting a thorough VIN Check at a reasonable price?

I just had a 'too good to be true' offer of $1 for a check. Might it be a scam to get a credit card number?

thanks,
baumgrenze

Best value? I dunno. I've only used Carfax and Autocheck. They're not that cheap but I figure that hopefully two different (?) data sources might be better than one. Neither is infallible though.

I use...freevehiclehistory.com. They do surprisingly good checks, a limited number per day (!) are free, and did I mention they are free? You can't link to them, though. Just search the above.

Thank you both.

LeftieBiker, how long has it been since you last used freevehiclehistory.com?

I tried freevehiclehistory.com and all I got was a domain name service. Perhaps the business model didn't work out?

Perhaps you were referring to vehiclehistory.com instead? I tried that and it was $14.95

thanks
baumgrenze

I haven't used it lately, but I just tried and got https://vehiclehistory.us.org/vehic...Z5pnmvdacWcn0FIPg0h8vyBglC-US2cBoC-mcQAvD_BwE. If past experience is any indication, the link won't work, but entering a VIN at the site will. The url does omit the "free" now. So have they started charging, despite the testimonials on the main page implying that they don't?

EDIT: I clicked on the url link here, and it worked.

At any rate, if you search it, you get the site, and the site, last time I used it, provides an excellent and FREE vehicle history. At the time you could get up to something like six a day.

jjeff said:
Leftie's link worked for me and I have never been to that site before, just an FYI.
You mean you saw a report on the VIN he embedded?
(it does open the website for me and allow me to enter a VIN, but does not give a report on VIN embedded in the URL).

jlv said:
jjeff said:
Leftie's link worked for me and I have never been to that site before, just an FYI.
(it does open the website for me and allow me to enter a VIN, but does not give a report on VIN embedded in the URL).

You have to go through the process of entering the VIN and getting a report. I don't think that you can link a report, only the site.

jlv said:
jjeff said:
No the latter, I had to enter the VIN myself after the page came up.

It's quite simple: you go to the site linked above, give them the VIN (which is a public document anyway) and they will give you a vehicle history approximately comparable to the ones you pay for.

LeftieBiker said:
You have to go through the process of entering the VIN and getting a report. I don't think that you can link a report, only the site.

Then my mistake. The site does open for me. I thought your long URL was to a report on a specific VIN.

Hi all,

Thanks for replying.

Here's a very useful link:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=carhistory.online+scam&atb=v228-1&ia=web

and this is one of the top hits:

https://www.reviewopedia.com/carhistory-us-org-reviews

This review near the top of the page that it opens on 9/5/20 fits my experience:

Dennis J Moser
1 Review
Yes just another peditory SCAM

August6, 2020
Everything As above.
The draw in. You are on the hook at a dollar.

After a bit you learn CARHISTORY has charged you a unauthorized 19 dollars plus. You do not expect any integrity any more.

OK, 20 bucks for a few casual statistics. You eat it and move on.

And then the knife gutting comes. CARHISTORY guts you for an additional 12 months of unauthorised payments. Isn't that just grand?

Cancel your card! Send all information in to the state prosecuter. (I did) Washington state.

Bring this up in all the conversations you can.

Tell everyone!

View all 2 Comments
CodyAugust 10, 2020
Hi Dennis,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I'm sorry it wasn't a good one for you. Please contact me directly at [email protected] or call one of our friendly customer service professionals 24/7 at 1-855-482-6465 so we can attempt to provide a full refund. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thank you,
Karmen
CS Manager
Carhistory.us.org

Daniel PachecoAugust 18, 2020
Did same thing to me just now! Report was 1$.. and they tried to get 18.95 not once but twice off my card. Terrible!!

Your mileage may vary. I will probably spend my day registering a new CC #.

baumgrenze

In case my last post was not convincing enough, the one below has what I hope is decent credibility:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2018/10/steering-clear-vehicle-history-report-scams

By the time I called my credit card company to cancel our current card, the company (what ever name they are using today) had posted another $19.95 payment to the card.

I will write the VA AG's office next. I doubt the US AG has any interest in prosecuting people who prey on ordinary folks.

baumgrenze

Back