Warranty/Cost for battery replacement kit

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtudor9

Hello,

I have a 2013 Leaf. I have lost 4 bars and am no longer covered under the battery capacity coverage warranty. I was thinking about purchasing a new battery replacement kit from the dealership. They quoted me just under $6000 for parts and labor. I was wondering if anyone had heard of getting money back for the old battery (a core credit or something?). Also, the dealership will only warranty the new battery with a standard 12 month parts warranty. It seems like a lot of money to spend with such a short warranty. Just wondering if this is the same information others have gotten and thoughts on if it is worth it. I talked to Consumer Affairs and they told me I might find a better price if I call other dealerships? I have currently only talked to United Nissan of Reno. Sorry this was such a long post. Any help would be appreciated!!!!

There is no "kit." You pay the dealership something in the vicinity of $8k (and you have to shop around to get the cost that low) and they install the new battery. The old battery is taken by Nissan and you get a $1k credit for it.

I'm guessing that your 2013 was built before April of 2013, in which case it has the terrible battery chemistry of the first generation Leafs. My condolences.

The price of the pack has also been a moving target, further compounded by sometimes (?) some dealers charging much more or less than others within the same time period.

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=17168 has the original price of $5499 before tax and installation and already including the $1K core credit.

I am under the impression that the warranty on this type of battery purchase is once again 5 yrs/60k miles, whichever comes first. The one year warranty was applied to packs installed under the new car warranty.

Nothing prevents Nissan from changing terms but OP should ask for the warranty in writing ... and READ it.

As for the $6,000 installed price, there is a recent thread from a guy in ID who received a quote for ~ $6,000 and when he showed up for the repair he was notified that Nissan had increased the pack price and the dealership would not honor the quoted price. OP: if you do not have a signed contract, you have nothing.

Thank you so much for the responses. I will visit the dealership and let you know what I find out.

Back