How can one tell battery health on 2018 and later Leaf.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webeleafowners

Hey guys. Question for you. Depending on whether they open the border to us canuckians to go south, we may be in a funny situation. Looks like they may be thinking about opening the border the fist of January of next year if things don't completely go to hell with the corana virus etc. If that happens we may drive the motorhome down to our property and hang out for a few months to avoid the snow. However, we don't have a vehicle to tow down behind the motorhome this year (we sold the smart EV) so we won't have anything to drive around while we are down there. We are thinking about buying a used 2018 Leaf dwon there, drive it around for a few months and then drive it back to Canadain the spring and then sell it here. We would take the coastal route (which we love) and only drive 3 or 4 hours a day anyway so range is not an issue. I knew where to look for health bars on our 2016 SV but don't know where to look on the 2018 or later. Can one of you tell us where to look? We'll be using cars .com to look for cars between LA and San Fransisco. (Not looking at palm springs cars because of the heat). A screen shot would be great. Cars.com usually has a screen shot of the dash.

Thanks guys. Might be a Leaf owner again. We still miss ours. :(

John and Angela

On edit. Looking at 40 kwh models.

Assuming 2018's are like my 2019, there are a series of displays you can step through on the left side of the driver display. You select the displays using the arrow keys and "OK" button on the steering wheel. One display group has battery temperature, battery capacity, and estimated charging time. Another display group has mi/kWh, average speed, and distance/time since reset; tire pressures; and status of some driver assist features. There is also a setting group which allows programming of many features that were programmed using the navigation screen on earlier cars. The remaining groups have information about the entertainment and navigation system (radio stations and travel directions, for example). The left/right arrows select between groups and the up/down arrows select displays within the group.

The battery capacity display is a bar graph with 12 segments. There are tick marks to show each segment. The battery temperature is also a bar graph that looks like a mercury thermometer, but there are no tick marks so the 12 segments are not obvious.

GerryAZ said:
Assuming 2018's are like my 2019, there are a series of displays you can step through on the left side of the driver display. You select the displays using the arrow keys and "OK" button on the steering wheel. One display group has battery temperature, battery capacity, and estimated charging time. Another display group has mi/kWh, average speed, and distance/time since reset; tire pressures; and status of some driver assist features. There is also a setting group which allows programming of many features that were programmed using the navigation screen on earlier cars. The remaining groups have information about the entertainment and navigation system (radio stations and travel directions, for example). The left/right arrows select between groups and the up/down arrows select displays within the group.

The battery capacity display is a bar graph with 12 segments. There are tick marks to show each segment. The battery temperature is also a bar graph that looks like a mercury thermometer, but there are no tick marks so the 12 segments are not obvious.

OK. Ill maybe pop in to Nissan and play with one a bit just so I'm prepared. I assume the first segment loss is still the big one like our 2016?

1:34 of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p2K1DMVTkU.

You use the buttons on the left side of the steering wheel to navigate thru the menus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DwWyExJc4c.
webeleafowners said:
I assume the first segment loss is still the big one like our 2016?
Probably. Nissan removed the table w/the mapping of remaining capacity vs. % after model year '11 service manual. I don't know if it ever returned for any model year.

The service manual for the 2019 does not tell the percentages for the capacity segments so I assume the first segment still represents more capacity loss. I will report the percentage when I lose the first segment, but that may be quite a while.

webeleafowners said:
Some very helpful info guys. Thank you. One other question. Is there an easy selection for changing between miles and kilometers?

Thanks again.

1. Select the "Settings" group in the left side of the dash display.
2. Scroll down to "Unit/Language" (on second page of settings items).
3. Select "Unit/Language".
4. Select "Mileage/Energy" and then choose the units you want.

GerryAZ said:
webeleafowners said:
Some very helpful info guys. Thank you. One other question. Is there an easy selection for changing between miles and kilometers?

Thanks again.

1. Select the "Settings" group in the left side of the dash display.
2. Scroll down to "Unit/Language" (on second page of settings items).
3. Select "Unit/Language".
4. Select "Mileage/Energy" and then choose the units you want.

Perfect. That and the ability to have running lights on all the time are part of the requirement for importation to Canada. There are literally thousands of imported leafs in this province so I know the running lights are possible but I suspect it will be a dealer visit. However, if any of you are familiar with the procedure please chime in.

And one more thing. It seems the best deals are on the S model which will suit our needs fine. Do the 2018 and 2019 S models have Propilot? Not a biggy but more of a curiosity.

Thanks again guys. You rock.

My 2019 SL Plus has LED running lights, not sure about 2018's or other 2019 models. If factory running lights are not on a car you find and like, a couple of aftermarket LED lights mounted where fog lights would be should work. If the car has fog lights, a little rewiring could turn them into running lights (probably replace halogen bulbs with LED).

I actually switched mine to metric as a test when I determined the steps in the procedure. The dash looks ready for Canada with just a few button clicks. Also, it does not disrupt the trip information displays when switching back and forth.

Propilot was not available on the S trim. It's part of the optional Technology Package for the SV and SL.
Also, it looks like the same case for the daytime LED running lights. The specification matrix on the last page of these brochures really helped me to decide between trims:

https://www.nissanusa.com/content/dam/Nissan/us/vehicle-brochures/2018/2018-nissan-nissan-leaf-brochure-en.pdf
https://www.nissanusa.com/content/dam/Nissan/us/vehicle-brochures/2019/2019-nissan-nissan-leaf-brochure-en.pdf

GerryAZ said:
My 2019 SL Plus has LED running lights, not sure about 2018's or other 2019 models. If factory running lights are not on a car you find and like, a couple of aftermarket LED lights mounted where fog lights would be should work. If the car has fog lights, a little rewiring could turn them into running lights (probably replace halogen bulbs with LED).

I actually switched mine to metric as a test when I determined the steps in the procedure. The dash looks ready for Canada with just a few button clicks. Also, it does not disrupt the trip information displays when switching back and forth.

Thanks Gerry. We have to bring it to Canadian tire anyway as they have the contract for canadian import certification. They know all the tricks to make it happen. Imported leafs are super common here.

We have never owned a second generation leaf. This could be fun. :) We test drove a few a really liked them...enough to order one...but that is another story. All this depends on wether the border opens up by January first 2021. We will probably have a hard time letting it go...just like the first one. ;{

webeleafowners said:
GerryAZ said:

Thanks Gerry. We have to bring it to Canadian tire anyway as they have the contract for canadian import certification. They know all the tricks to make it happen. Imported leafs are super common here.

We have never owned a second generation leaf. This could be fun. :) We test drove a few a really liked them...enough to order one...but that is another story. All this depends on whether the border opens up by January first 2021. We will probably have a hard time letting it go...just like the first one. ;{

I know you only have a one-car garage, but keep it--it can sit outside. Mine has been parked and charged outside all the time since I got it (other vehicles that don't get driven often stay inside). I followed your attempted purchase story of a Plus--you would have liked it (much more power and range). As much as I like my new one, I still think the Tesla was the best choice for your long distance highway plans. Some of my friends who have garage condo units adjacent to mine are from Canada and had to leave early this spring to get home to Edmonton before the border was closed. Those of us who are not snowbirds wondered if they would be able to come down this fall--sounds like maybe after the holidays.

GerryAZ said:
webeleafowners said:
GerryAZ said:

We have never owned a second generation leaf. This could be fun. :) We test drove a few a really liked them...enough to order one...but that is another story. All this depends on whether the border opens up by January first 2021. We will probably have a hard time letting it go...just like the first one. ;{

I know you only have a one-car garage, but keep it--it can sit outside. Mine has been parked and charged outside all the time since I got it (other vehicles that don't get driven often stay inside). I followed your attempted purchase story of a Plus--you would have liked it (much more power and range). As much as I like my new one, I still think the Tesla was the best choice for your long distance highway plans. Some of my friends who have garage condo units adjacent to mine are from Canada and had to leave early this spring to get home to Edmonton before the border was closed. Those of us who are not snowbirds wondered if they would be able to come down this fall--sounds like maybe after the holidays.

It’s tempting Gerry and we’ll have to see. But if we kept it, it would sit for weeks at a time and never move once we were back in Canada. The depreciation and insurance would be 3 or 4 grand a year. We tend to lean to the minimalist side and that would go against the grain. We would also realize a small profit by selling it as imported used 2018 or 2019.

We’ll see how it goes. The border has to open first.

LeftieBiker said:
If I had a Leaf and a Model 3 in Winter, it would be the Model 3 that would rarely get used.

I hear ya Leftie. But typically we are in a warm climate for winter. SoCal, Spain etc. This will be the first winter (in like 18 years) we will be in Canada for the whole winter. :) ...if the freakin border doesn’t open. :)

Back