62kwh Leaf Plus Efficiency Posting

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Macarthur,

With your S+, what do you find your highway efficiency looks like with minimal AC? I have been able to pretty consistently get about 4 (sometimes a bit higher) at 70MPH, but I am in an unusually flat part of the country.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Macarthur,

With your S+, what do you find your highway efficiency looks like with minimal AC? I have been able to pretty consistently get about 4 (sometimes a bit higher) at 70MPH, but I am in an unusually flat part of the country.

Hey Doug - I think that we are getting closerto 4.5, even at 70 MPH, thruways around here are not anywhere near as steep and hilly as the smaller roads. I find the discussion about heat pumps and colder climates fascinating- we probably would have paid for the upgraded model if we had done more research but in retrospect, and with your feedback, it seems that the S+ may be as efficient on a year-round basis and we have no use for most of the bells and whistles.....

Pretty perfect month for the car.

SV+ 308 miles and 4.8 miles/kWh

S+ ~490 miles and ~4.8 miles per kWh (180 miles were fast highway at about 4 miles per kWh early in the month which brought down the average)

August 2020; 1256.7 miles, 5.29 miles/kwh cost $33.77 with 80% being public charging fees. Remember I was homeless for all but the last week of the month. High efficiency attained mostly because of moving. Other than a single truck load, my entire home was moved in my car...in about 50 trips. Luckily the roundtrip distance per trip was under 4 miles. did manage 106.3 kwh added mostly from Volta due to the movie theater now being OPEN!! Can't believe how much I missed that. Due to CV, not many movies were ready for release so they had "throwback" movies. Old classics for $5 a ticket and half price concessions. The kicker was if you were an existing movie club member which I was, the tickets were free. (food wasn't though) so was a great opportunity to introduce my Son to movies that came out well before his time.
WOW! That was a fast month. For September 2020, I went 729.3 miles @ 5.0 miles/kwh. Nearly all the charging done at home and no cost yet as the power bill has not dropped yet. Guessing tomorrow. If you are wondering, yes this is one of the lightest driving month in DECADES. I have tracked daily driving statistics since Thanksgiving weekend, 2003. Only in July a few years ago (599.3) was lower and mostly because I was gone for 21 days so car sat in parking lot near Seatac Airport. Even months when I had a gasser did my total never drop this low.

A better picture would be January 2018 which we all know is when my S 30 was murdered the 19th of the month. I had done over 1100 miles. Took FOREVER to replace her. Didn't get the 40 kwh until Feb 16 so only 12 days left in the month but still managed 866.6 miles.

Now, the full force of CV didn't slow me down (Apr 1668.2, May 1324.2, Jun 1396.9) but smoke stopped me dead in my tracks. Unlike the smoke situation of 2017, I could not drive myself out of harms way. There was simply no place to go. At least at home, I had two room air purifiers including one that claimed an AQI of 45 (one third the level outside my house)

Another lesser factor was the end of Summer. Ok, yes its October 1st and its 76º and gorgeous right this very minute. What I meant was school is in session (not in classroom) so roadtrips are now restricted to Saturday our only mutual "day off" Either way, I am currently on a 10 day decline for Hx which I think may be a good thing. Adjustment day in 3 weeks!

Reporting early due to taking the day off (those 4 day workweeks are such a grind! :cool: ) which means costs will be estimated as I managed to stay tier one so using last months 9.4 cents/kwh

Drove 1025 miles@ 4.68 miles/kwh with estimated cost of $12.36 benefitting from 100.6 kwh of freebies all on L2. Mostly Volta, a bit of Tesla (or Target?) PSE and the State. Despite the season, the rain has not really started here which is a bit uncharacteristic since we are supposed to be entering a wetter winter due to La Nina prediction but like anything else these days, its starting out warmer and drier than expected. But it is still late October so that means very cold mornings but my LEAF, she has her own room so she isn't really affected that much.

Its kinda shocking how many people think we are not actually in the climatic patterns threatened back in the 70's and 80's. Record fires, floods, and a shortage of storm names just doesn't seem to phase some people. How weird is that?

How much of an inconvenience is it to seek out free charging? Well, its a lot harder than it used to be. We went from 89% of L2's being free to under 50%.

Adjustment #4 happened Oct 23. By far the smallest so far. .37 ahr, .21 SOH. There was no change for 9 days prior or since the 25th so I am predicting less than .1% change for November; my guess is .06%

So I was interacting with the fellow that produces the Batterylife videos on you tube, and was a bit worried about the efficiency he was seeing in medium cold weather (10C). I ran a few tests with my SV and S+ on the same route in very similar conditions. 90 km/h using propilot/cruise control. I then ran a third test with the S+ without cruise. Same exact circuit, so distance should be within 100 feet of each other. The efficiency difference was 14.4 kWh/100 km in the SV+ vs. 13.2 in the S+ (13.3 without cruise..defeating my claim that could do better with a level foot). I drove at 90 kmph in the SV+ and 93 in the S+ due to the wheel size difference. If you factor in the odometer difference the difference is about .7 kWh/100km, or 5ish%. Battery was a bit colder for the S+ than SV+, but only a few degrees. This was narrower in difference than the summer test that I did. I didnt take the Leafspy values for the test, which would have been more accurate.

SV+ with propilot
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QOeZqn5tggm18pONSYufFLjzsVPUgFDl/view?usp=drivesdk

S+ with cruise
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QOzJgbeX2yFbOgnN89w13S4k7ZsqSRFq/view?usp=drivesdk

S+ without cruise
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QP-4y6HODEQWjNGAOVyGEYcqQiv-svRi/view?usp=drivesdk

That was a great video but I missed how the lower profile wheels decrease efficiency. If the tire diameter was the same I'd assume the frontal area would be the same. So does the rolling resistance change or is it something completely different? The first 2 factors were well explained and then for the tire size, he just quoted the data from Tesla. I assume Tesla's data are correct but I still don't understand why it works out that way.

I assumed it was larger rim = more weight and more weight at the outside of the circle.

I don't think its the only difference as I have outlined in this forum, but the handling of my S+ is noticeably different than our SV+. Efficiency is very different as well, over 10% at highway speeds. The S+ has 16" 205s and the SV+ 17" 215s

goldbrick said:
That was a great video but I missed how the lower profile wheels decrease efficiency. If the tire diameter was the same I'd assume the frontal area would be the same. So does the rolling resistance change or is it something completely different? The first 2 factors were well explained and then for the tire size, he just quoted the data from Tesla. I assume Tesla's data are correct but I still don't understand why it works out that way.

My guess is that it's increased air turbulence in the wheel wells.

For November light driving and much colder weather in the second half.

The SV+ was 4.3 with 300 miles. Wife is perpetually running heat.

The S+ is at 4.7 but has done more of the highway driving with a total of 440 miles. It still above10F, so minimal heat (except for the day the wife had it while SV+ was being fixed).

I should post this in another thread, but the telematics unit died on our SV+ and was replaced under warranty. The remote heat is a must have for the wife, so glad it was a fast fix. $1250 if not under warranty though, so "glad" it broke early. I only noticed because I check mileage stats via the app, and they stopped a couple weeks back.

Total miles this month was about the same as yours. Not sure until I update logs but was doing fairly well with efficiency but the last 1½ weeks, its gotten colder and had a few days in the mid 3's (still doing 70 mph) due to it being colder than my tolerance and simply not really caring about range.

I haven't decided if toggling the heat on defrost is better or simply letting it settle to a semi low level? The problem with leaving it on especially at night is I start sweating and that makes the cold issue even worse...

The day my wife drove the S+, she mentioned how much she loved how much faster the heat kicks in compared to the SV+. She also said the heat was so strong even at 60 on the thermostat, she would need to turn it off at times.

DougWantsALeaf said:
The day my wife drove the S+, she mentioned how much she loved how much faster the heat kicks in compared to the SV+. She also said the heat was so strong even at 60 on the thermostat, she would need to turn it off at times.

Last night leaving work is the first time I have had ice on the windshield this season. It was pretty thin (low humidity) and temps only 30º so not real cold but I was feeling heat within 2 minutes. I should have timed it because I was more than a bit surprised...

We get heat beginning at about 30 seconds and it is pretty full by 90 seconds- drawing 3250 watts or more, no heat pump on this model (yup, probably a mistake on my part...).

Ended November at 4.05 miles/kwh. I was a bit surprised at that! Pretty sure that won't happen for December "if" the rains start. Only 738 miles though. I am reducing my already reduced travel outside the home due the shocking rise in CV around here (we are MUCH better than most of the country BTW...) Port Orchard Safeway had an outbreak involving 9 employees. Kinda scary.

On another note; a new record for last 1,000 miles; .05% SOH drop. I chart stats every 1,000 miles and this took longer (Oct 22 to Nov 28) but almost halved the previous record of .09% from Feb 22 to Mar 20. I did go 21 days w/o a stat drop. Also double my previous record.

Back