Leaf Price / Discount discussion thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DougWantsALeaf said:
WetEV, eMobility in the comments challenged his assertion about starting capacity, believing it to be 77.5kWh, not 75
"Beliefs" are for trolls. Bjorn measured the usable capacity of his P85 Model S when it was new, and used that as the base for comparison.

$100 lease. https://www.premiernissanoffremont.com/nissan-lease-specials
5f4ec6ba23798.jpg

Heh. Depending on incentives from Nissan, it might be possible for someone who doesn't qualify for most of the $7500 Federal credit to use that lease to buy an SV, but that's speculation.

coleafrado said:
DanCar said:
$100 lease. https://www.premiernissanoffremont.com/nissan-lease-specials
With $12,000 down. Not much of a deal.
I am no lease expert but it looks like a good deal (details below) for a 40 kWh LEAF SV. The first trick to be aware of though is that only three cars are offered at this price; the other 30 - 40 SV Leafs on the lot are a different price ..

The car price is ~ $31.9k after dealer discount
~ $10,500 is paid by Nissan if the car is leased

Lease deal:
~ $1350 cash (or trade-in) from customer
$100 a month for 24 months
TTL is extra; I am not sure whether finance charges are included in the $100 a month payment

About the residual -- I am unsure if the car price is the msrp or (msrp - dealer cash). If the latter, then
31,900 - 24*100 - 10,650 - 1350 = $17,500
If the residual is calculated from msrp then the residual would be
35,775 - 24*100 - 10,650 - 1350 = $22,475

If the residual is $17.5k it's a good way to buy a 40kwh Leaf, after leasing it. It's basically the residual I have, with a 2/3 lower payment and a 2/3 lower down payment.

If this lease is fairly close to the $3,694 for 24 months ($1318 customer cash + $99/mo x24 months), that's just $154/mo to drive a new car. As noted, probably does not include TTL, registration, etc, but a steal none-the-less.

With Nissan continuing with a history of generous lease deals, battery longevity history, and the continuing evolution of batteries in general, I would be looking to find a new lease rather than buying one when this one is up.

iPlug said:
With Nissan continuing with a history of generous lease deals, battery longevity history, and the continuing evolution of batteries in general, I would be looking to find a new lease rather than buying one when this one is up.
Perhaps, but this really would be a case of best making the decision towards the end of the lease.

SageBrush said:
iPlug said:
Perhaps, but this really would be a case of best making the decision towards the end of the lease.
Always good to reassess then to see if better options present themselves.

What I have seen over recent years is that Nissan has not been flexible in negotiating a lower purchase price than residual after the lease is up. If owning the make/model thereafter is of interest at that point, picking up a used Leaf from a private party or elsewhere appears to be a substantially better deal.

iPlug said:
SageBrush said:
iPlug said:
Always good to reassess then to see if better options present themselves.

What I have seen over recent years is that Nissan has not been flexible in negotiating a lower purchase price than residual after the lease is up. If owning the make/model thereafter is of interest at that point, picking up a used Leaf from a private party or elsewhere appears to be a substantially better deal.
Fair point, and fair guess. The flip side would be that keeping a car and battery that is in good condition (if it is) reduces the risks that come with buying a used car.

The flip side would be that keeping a car and battery that is in good condition (if it is) reduces the risks that come with buying a used car.

Yes. If you take care of your cars, then you pay a premium price for a used car that you know has no hidden flaws or damage, and you know the full service history.

LeftieBiker said:
The flip side would be that keeping a car and battery that is in good condition (if it is) reduces the risks that come with buying a used car.

Yes. If you take care of your cars, then you pay a premium price for a used car that you know has no hidden flaws or damage, and you know the full service history.
More a problem in a LEAF than other EVs, it does not take much reading on this forum to realize that a common reason that people lease rather than buy the LEAF is to not care about mitigating battery degradation. Benign neglect of leased cars strikes me as really common.

Then there is the problem of the dumbed down and warped 'capacity bars' of the LEAF. Say you buy a '12 bar' LEAF. Absent a believable OBD2 reading or a careful driving test there is a good 10% uncertainty in battery capacity. That is already a good 1/8 the value of the car you are gambling on.

What's the best anybody has seen at the moment for New York state? I know 2021 leaf will hit dealers any moment. I can do now for a 2020 SV $100/mo with $2500 + TTL, but I'd like to do better.

SageBrush said:
Fair point, and fair guess. The flip side would be that keeping a car and battery that is in good condition (if it is) reduces the risks that come with buying a used car.

The dilemma I was getting at:

Say a person is trying to figure out if he should buy or lease a Leaf. If buying, would consider owning for many years. Customer sees that there are excellent lease deals but also excellent purchase deals (with dealer incentives + FTC + state incentives).

Going the buying route, one starts off with a great purchase price but if not living in a cool climate and/or not practicing good battery hygiene, accelerated battery degradation takes place. So issues of having range to meet needs may then come in a few years after purchase.

Going the leasing route, one starts off with a great lease price and doesn't worry too much if not living in a cool climate and/or not practicing good battery hygiene as one returns the vehicle 2-3 years later. The bad news is, if optimal hygiene is practiced and the battery is doing fine and one wants to buy the vehicle off-lease, Nissan may not budge on the residual. The same year and trim vehicle could instead be purchased used for substantially less elsewhere, but indeed it's unclear how well those vehicles have been cared for and the true health of their batteries.

Considering such things, for someone in the PNW and other cool climates, buying from the start is a less risky proposition if one hopes to keep the vehicle for years. OTOH, in warm climates...

iPlug said:
Considering such things, for someone in the PNW and other cool climates, buying from the start is a less risky proposition if one hopes to keep the vehicle for years. OTOH, in warm climates...
Granted.

I was saying that a $100 a month lease with a small amount upfront resolves the dilemma -- lease now and decide later. Your point that purchase now may be advantageous vs purchase later after a lease doesn't really come into play for the deal being discussed. If it did then indeed the consumer would have to put a value on the deferred decision.

My earlier point was to say that a presumption of another lease after this two year lease is up is not needed. Decide towards the end of the lease. Your scenario is more likely to come up with someone like Lefty who is paying a lot for the lease period and then has a low-ish residual. If he returns the car at lease end he (in a sense) sacrifices the money he has paid.

---
I have never leased, but I sure would jump on this deal if I could :)
(presuming I understand it correctly.)
On that note, I called the dealer and was told the dealership can only offer it to CA residents to comply with Nissan rules. I presume this is CARB related. I haven't seen a similar deal in other CARB states ... yet. New Mexico is an on again/off again CARB state so I'm even less sure about my chances.

Back