2020 SV Plus will not accept charge at any DCFC

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junius

I searched the forum for this already, but if I missed a thread containing this my apologies. I’m a not only a new Leaf owner, but also a new forum user.

The other day, I was attempting to go on a 500 mile road trip with my Leaf for the first time. I had plotted every fast charger and bail out points along the way. I have never charged using DCFC. When I got to the first Electrify America stop, the car would initiate a charge and then immediately kick off. Called them and tried to troubleshoot but apparently their station was in normal operation. So with 100 miles left and the nearest station about 75 miles away and unable to turn back I headed to Pittsburgh where I knew I could find some more DCFC and ample J-1772.

Made it to an EV GO station. Car would not accept DCFC charge. 15 miles left went to a Nissan dealer with a DCFC and two J-1772. DCFC would not work, but the Level 2 did. Got some more electrons and tried to find hotel with charging (many closed because of COVID). Along the hotel way I found another EVGO which you guessed it didn’t charge my car. So I spent the night connected to a trusty Clipper Creek in a grocery store parking lot. Next day I went home on a 80% charge.

Couple observations:
My battery temperature were always normal and stable

Always have been able two charge with Level 2

No CHAdeMO charge has ever worked.

Nissan has car now but no service available until Tuesday.

What did Plugshare say for those stations? Have Plugshare URLs and/or the addresses of the stations?

Using Electrify America CHAdeMO with a Leaf is a gamble given how they only have one handle for that vs. many CCS at each site.

They were all in service and working properly according to PlugShare. There were also no other vehicles there at the time. Other reviewers were positive and successful.

Care to post the addresses or Plugshare links anyway? Was the plug properly locked to the car? If not, you may hit a communications error.

I believe Leaf needs to be powered off prior to starting CHAdeMO charging. (Sorry, I haven't had a Leaf with CHAdeMO for 5 years now.)

I’d rather not post a location history of where I’ve been over that time. I’m not sure how it helps talking about this situation. Every station was reported in good order and had recent charges. I have used PlugShare for years now and it is very reliable.

As far as error messages, my car never said anything was wrong. The Electrify America said “charging interrupted,” while EVgo said “charging stopped.” That was it.

The reason why I’m asking about locations is to make sure it’s not user error.

It’s possible the non-EA station might have had old-style CHAdeMO handles. See first two videos at https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=445853#p445853.

It’s very easy to do things wrong on those and I used to see posts on Leaf FB groups where people would claim the connector is stuck to their vehicle. Likely it wasn’t stuck but rather user error.

Also, IIRC, on Leaf, CHAdeMO charging will fail if the car is in READY mode. IIRC, car must be off and can definitely be turned back on once charging has commenced.

One more thing, from anecdotal reports of folks with Bolts on roadtrips using EA and from looking at a few EA sites around me, CHAdeMO reliability (chance of it working) on EA isn’t great. Right now, for one site near me, EA’s own app reports the lone station with CHAdeMO as unavailable. That happens quite frequently at that location.

Both EA and EVgo stations I used had the new style handles. My car was definitely off. Thanks for the insight though.

Back