How robust is the cargo organizer ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adaviel

We recently got a 2016 Leaf SV, and it seems to be lacking places to put stuff (tiny glove box, no tool/tire compartment). I was looking at the optional cargo organizer for the rear, but our dealer doesn't have them in stock unless we order.

How robust are they - how much weight can you put on top ? Are they waterproof, or are they made of some soya board that will fall apart if it gets damp ?

Here's what I recommend: Buy a good-sized duffel-type bag with lots of pockets. Here's my setup:

T4H50tC.jpg

I've put labels on the zippers: Glove compartment, Emergency, Manual, Food, etc. Works great and keeps thing out of sight.

The main compartment has jackets, a bluetooth keyboard, and bunch of other things. Note the spare tire on the right and the removed rear headrests.

The Leaf cargo organizer is an overpriced piece of junk. It also fits one way and only one way, so no chance for re-arranging to suit other stuff you might need to carry. Any recommendation from this forum is a better idea. I use one of those "milk crates" from Target or such. About $5.

PianoAl said:
Here's what I recommend: Buy a good-sized duffel-type bag with lots of pockets. Here's my setup:

I'd probably do something like that, except our dog travels in the back. The organizer seemed like a good place to put charger, tow strap, booster cables etc. as well as hiding stuff from view (I made a cargo cover, but that won't work with the dog there).

Well, I went and bought one through a dealer. The installation instructions (from nissan-techinfo.com) say "max load 150lbs". Our dog weighs only about 60. He seems happy enough sitting on some old carpet on top of the organizer.

I'm a bit annoyed that there's a large hole (gap) between the organizer and the rear seats, either with the seats up or down - the organizer is advertised as "creates a flat floor when the rear seats are folded". The picture on the nissan.ca MY13-LEAF.pdf is indistinct. The one at leeparts is what I was expecting, but what I got was like nissanusa. The installation instructions suggest tearing off the trim to fit a single restraining bolt; I'm not sure if I'll bother. I might make something to cover the gap; it's basically rectangular.

It sounds like Nissan did not change the shape to accommodate the 2013 and later design. It created a nice flat floor with the seats folded in a 2011 or 2012 (onboard charger was where the gap is on later models). Perhaps you could fabricate a wood or plastic box with a hinged lid to fill the gap between the organizer and the back of the seat.

Gerry

Our 2015 came with one. At first I thought "whatever" but it's growing on me because it keeps things out of sight. The little space is where I put the shopping bags for the grocery store. Ours is not bolted--I don't understand how you'd get to the spare tire etc. if it were. It's turned into just one more thing that I love about our sweet LEAF.

I find the cargo organizer useful because I have to be able to haul my mother's walker/rollator and it gives me a flat surface (with the aforementioned gap) where I can put the folded walker.

I have one. Don't leave anything heavy sitting on it.
There is a tool compartment on the drivers side. I can even get the tire jack in and out with the organizer in place. I use a jack from a 2000s nissan sentra.
I'm probably going to cut a peice of premium plywood to perch on the charging hump and trunk lip to keep the weight off.
If I had a non charging hump car I would just put the plywood over the cargo organizer.
But I use my leaf like a pickup.

Back