2017 30KWh - Battery Status not updating but other stats do upload

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HDriver

2017 30KWh. I've had it just a few weeks. The battery status "My Battery" on the Nissan My Garage site or on EVConnect showed correctly once and once only, on the day that Nissan registered me as new owner. Since then the battery status has never updated.

I don't think it's a general TCU problem as the other driving data is updated and I can see this pretty quickly after each trip. Battery however just shows "--" in EV Connect and in My Garage it says this forever "PLEASE WAIT A request has been sent to your vehicle. This can take a few minutes."

I'm thinking maybe there is some dodgy data that my BMS is sending up which is blocking update of that data item.

The car was bought from a dealer and has a short warranty, but I may struggle to prove this to be a car fault and not a Nissan data issue.

Has anyone else experienced this?

The "other data" is transmitted from your car to the server...while the "battery status" is a request that comes from the server to your car (and back). It is possible for one to work but not the other (unless the TCU has completely failed). I think there's a problem in the communication path, which may include anything from the TCU needing a reset (fuse pull) to incorrect account configs (dealer and/or Nissan reset).

Thanks - that's good info. I pulled the fuse a week or so ago and it made no difference.

I expect if I rock up at the Nissan dealer and ask for a TCU reset they will want to be paid for this service. Not sure if a TCU reset is something that only Nissan main dealer can do or if there is a homegrown method beyond fuse pulling.

I do have a ticket open with Nissan Telematics team but have heard nothing from them at all.

Any tips on how to tell if it's a TCU thing vs a Nissan data thing?

Thanks both.

I don't think it's a cell coverage thing. The car is able to send its trip updates back to mother ship ok, and can update list of charging stations ok.

I went into the "hidden" menu and ran diagnostics which all came back green. I did see an option there to reset user details. I was tempted but chickened out of doing it before doing some more research into what the function does (and whether it would make things worse). Not sure if that's what Nissan do when they do a 'TCU reset'. Does anyone know what that entails? I'll give it a go if it doesn't require proprietary tools.

Beyond that I'm just a hostage to Nissan customer services I suppose...

Update (if anyone is interested) :) on the issue where I can't get a response to Status command (battery, climate control) but driving stats come through.

Nissan tech support say there is a TCU fault and it must be replaced. No better detail than that.
I take it to Nissan dealer who quote me £837 for new TCU (that's > $1000 USD) but who say they cannot see any fault. They don't really know about the TCU at all it seems.
The car is still under 3rd party warranty but they won't pay out without a technical diagnosis.

So I'm stuck. I don't think there is a hardware fault since the car responded (once) with battery status.

Any bright ideas?

Back