Looking for a LEAF with dead/no battery - how to find one?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BatteryUpgrader

Electrical engineer here.
Li-ion batteries and electric vehicles are new technologies so I don't know all about them, but can understand the workings from technical papers.
I want to learn/experiment by installing a battery pack into an old LEAF.

Battery pack on LEAF expires after roughly how many years?
Say I buy a 2011 LEAF- its battery is past its life or nearing the end.

But advertised old LEAFs are still listed as having a usable battery, even the 2011 ones, thus they don't go for peanuts.
I am keeping my eye out for a totaled late model LEAF, to use its battery as a transplant organ. Since the battery pack in them is still good they fetch high prices, that is why I need the old car to be cheap.

Any suggestions on how to acquire an old LEAF for cheap?

BatteryUpgrader said:
It doesn't work that way. Batteries don't "expire". Effectively, they just hold less charge.

IMHO, if you don't understand something that basic, you might want to reconsider playing with a high-voltage battery system.

BatteryUpgrader said:
Electrical engineer here.
Li-ion batteries and electric vehicles are new technologies so I don't know all about them, but can understand the workings from technical papers.
I want to learn/experiment by installing a battery pack into an old LEAF.

Say I buy a 2011 LEAF- its battery is past its life or nearing the end.

But advertised old LEAFs are still listed as having a usable battery, even the 2011 ones, thus they don't go for peanuts.
I am keeping my eye out for a totaled late model LEAF, to use its battery as a transplant organ. Since the battery pack in them is still good they fetch high prices, that is why I need the old car to be cheap.

Any suggestions on how to acquire an old LEAF for cheap?
You wouldn't learn much about Li-ion batteries by replacing a LEAF battery pack. You would learn about the computer and networking systems of cars, much of which isn't publicly documented by Nissan. If you have a lifestyle where an electric car like the LEAF would work, owning and driving one would teach you more than swapping a battery pack.

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=27677

And for a used one, Lefty has a guide

Agree w/WetEV's sentiments. '11 or '12 Leafs with very worn batteries (down 7+ capacity bars) seem to be maybe $3500 to $4K.

The worst I can recall seeing are 9 bar losers (3 bars left) like https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=589637#p589637 and some in hot parts of the world.

Yep its all computers and proprietary lock downs. Nissan intentionally made it difficult to swap batteries.
I have seen 2011 like mine with a lot less miles with 3 to 5 capacity bars.
They were running $2,500 to $3,600.

There's a 2011 with a replacement Lizard battery and 100k miles locally for $4500 at the moment. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the cold weather package so it's no good for me.

Back