Electrify America Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope EA will not repeat massive upgrades on a holiday travel weekend like that again. What I'd like to see them do is maybe upgrade every other station or something like that so we can avoid being stranded, well assuming something like a 200+ mile EV which is not uncommon these days. A big stretch of interstate like that is not good. This state is getting blanketed with reliable chargepoints but EA is still the best for travel to other states as Evgo and even chargepoint like to mostly stay in cities. Colorado just has state sponsorship giving us rural locations. No one else provides what EA does yet (charge corridors across the country for any brand EV).

salyavin said:
I hope EA will not repeat massive upgrades on a holiday travel weekend like that again.
I was expecting a bigger fuss here about the EA debacle, but I guess there aren't that many long distance travelers. We just got back from a week long trip that took us along the I95 corridor for a small bit. I'm certainly glad I wasn't depending upon EA's network for any part of my trip (SuC all the way). Their decision to turn off 500 miles of chargers on a holiday weekend definitely shows their decision makers don't use their own product.

It was pretty ridiculous and almost unbelievable from a business reputation perspective.

From a Leaf perspective, since they throttled the Chademos to 100ish amps, the little DC charging i do, i have gone back to EVGO where possible, as its still free for me for another year.

The good news is that both Greenlots and EVGo are expanding, so EA isn't the only game in town for an increasing number of routes...at least for us lowly Chademo plugged cars.

jlv said:
salyavin said:
I hope EA will not repeat massive upgrades on a holiday travel weekend like that again.
I was expecting a bigger fuss here about the EA debacle, but I guess there aren't that many long distance travelers. We just got back from a week long trip that took us along the I95 corridor for a small bit. I'm certainly glad I wasn't depending upon EA's network for any part of my trip (SuC all the way). Their decision to turn off 500 miles of chargers on a holiday weekend definitely shows their decision makers don't use their own product.
Maybe... but then again, I didn't know where I-95 was so I ignored any headlines and thread that I sorta stumbled across. I'm on the other side of the country so I think this is the first time I've ever heard of that highway.

I don't think any Leaf driver would really want to depend on EA anyway due to their single CHAdeMO + multiple CCS at each site.

May not want to but for many long distance routes across states you may have little choice. Really I want two networks available if possible, even without these bad decisions I could imagine some central system these depending on going down taking down a charge network be it EA, EvGo or anyone else. I am thinking a programmer opps, an attack like what took down travelex. Thankfully that has never happened yet. I do not think these charge stations can operate independently. So far EA has been the least reliable for me but then I have never used Blink.

salyavin said:
May not want to but for many long distance routes across states you may have little choice. Really I want two networks available if possible, even without these bad decisions I could imagine some central system these depending on going down taking down a charge network be it EA, EvGo or anyone else.
Along these lines, some guy in a Bolt group in Indiana over on Sept 12 ran into a snafu with an EA charger that didn't work so they had to fallback to L2.

He said they called them and it'd been offline for a week. He apparently didn't think to check Plugshare and EA's app before embarking on his roadtrip and encountering the downed site. When he mentioned the location and I looked it up, sure enough, EA's app said that whole site was offline. Right now, Plugshare at https://www.plugshare.com/location/169563 for that site has a check-in from EA on Sept 3
Electrify America is aware of an issue rendering the chargers at this location temporarily unavailable. Our maintenance team is actively working to address the issue. We will post again when this location is available for use...
When I checked Plugshare, there were no other DC FCs in the area. Oops!

cwerdna said:
I didn't know where I-95 was

It's just the major north-south Interstate from Florida to Maine. Most of it's traffic is between Washington D.C., NYC, and Boston. Tesla's first east coast SuCs were installed along it, and the infamous NY Times/Broder Model S test drive was on it.

i-95-traffic-map.gif

^^^
Wow. Ok. i only spotted a small segment down in the SE corner when I checked on Google Maps when I first looked into the stories. I guess it'd be the equivalent of I-5 on the west coast.

There are other highways that I wouldn't have been aware of unless I lived in WA, which I did like I-90 which has one end in Seattle and goes clear across the country. It makes no entry into CA.

cwerdna said:
like I-90
We call that the Mass Pike ;).

But we've got "local names" for lots of highways, like Rt. 128 ("America's Technology Highway") which is the part of I-95 that crosses Massachusetts.

GetOffYourGas said:
Electrify America announces per-kWh pricing in 23 states and DC. $0.43/kWh with the Pass plan and $0.31/kWh with the Pass+ plan.

https://media.electrifyamerica.com/...C5PblAUhpE91OYUGZC_uaswC8PyjHH4ZbGZnabTwCVLRg

The session fee has been eliminated, and the per minute price reduced for those states that do not allow per kWh pricing.

HUGE drop in prices, at least in the places I checked. Can be as cheap as residential.
I find it interesting that EA sets the charge fees.

SageBrush said:
GetOffYourGas said:
Electrify America announces per-kWh pricing in 23 states and DC. $0.43/kWh with the Pass plan and $0.31/kWh with the Pass+ plan.

https://media.electrifyamerica.com/...C5PblAUhpE91OYUGZC_uaswC8PyjHH4ZbGZnabTwCVLRg

The session fee has been eliminated, and the per minute price reduced for those states that do not allow per kWh pricing.

HUGE drop in prices, at least in the places I checked. Can be as cheap as residential.
I find it interesting that EA sets the charge fees.
For my intended use case, it's a huge price increase. :( I guess I won't be subscribing to Pass+ anytime soon or using EA except in emergencies/road trips.

Previously, Pass+ for my power level was 18 cents/minute w/no session fee. Monthly fee was $4/mo.

If charging a Bolt from 0 to ~50ish % SoC and the battery's not too cold, it'll hit a sustained 54 to 55 kW. During that time, at 18 cents/minute, it's effectively 18 cents/kWh if I cut it off once I hit the first taper at about 50% SoC to ~37 kW. My marginal cost at home to charge (I can only do L1) is IIRC ~31.6 cents/kWh due to Pacific Gouge & Extort.

Sure, if I were to go to full or had a slow charging rate (e.g. cold battery), yeah, this is probably a price drop...

My original intent if I couldn't get free/cheap enough charging via https://drivethearc.com/ or other means was to use EA for the 0 to ~50% SoC portions since charging at home is so expensive. Argh. I wish I could choose between the old per time pricing or new per kWh pricing in CA.

SageBrush said:
cwerdna said:
For my intended use case, it's a huge price increase.
Owning a Bolt can definitely suck. :lol:
:| :roll: Well, FWIW, it's not like the per kWh pricing is any different for any vehicle on EA. My old use case to charge on EA for ~18 cents/kWh so long as I'm below ~50% SoC is now not possible. It's not possible on any vehicle w/EA now in CA.

BTW, https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/chademo-charging-the-model-3.160882/page-8#post-4983575 uses CHAdeMO with his Tesla. Supercharger pricing nearby is either 28 or 31 cents/kWh, depending on which location.

Also, like Leaf, Bolts have no significant vampire drain nor losses when parked or plugged in BTW. The only drain there might be is if thermal management kicks in if the battery gets too hot (is above ~80 F when plugged in and some unknown much higher temp if not plugged in and car is off).

This was all mostly a non-issue pre-COVID for me. We have free L2 charging at work but for the time being, virtually everyone in my group and a group we work with is WFH. And, for now, we shouldn't be working from the office unless we have good reason to (e.g. power outage, too hot/cold at home, bad air quality (from wildfires), can't get work done due to kids, bad connectivity at home, home too small, etc.) As such, I've also been WFH as I don't want to be "that guy".

Before COVID-19, since end of July 2013 when I first started driving EVs, I'd never paid a cent for any public charging since most of my juice was from free charging at work and a bit was from free public charging (mostly L2).

^^ I was baiting your tendency to reply as if the world revolves around cwerdna. As if anyone but you cares about your corner case.

SageBrush said:
^^ I was baiting your tendency to reply as if the world revolves around cwerdna. As if anyone but you cares about your corner case.
:roll:

FWIW, another dude at work (who also happens to have a Bolt + a Spark EV) posted about this at work this morning. To him, the new pricing is highway robbery (his words).

Aside from Bolts, it sucks for anyone who had could effectively get juice from EA for under 31 cents/kWh for significant amounts of time based upon their prior per minute pricing. I'd wager there were other vehicles that could be charged on EA DC FC that fell into this bucket.

News Coulomb (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJqgqWqKmdkIuBZa7JK5KSw) has a Bolt and he goes on a ton of road trips in his Bolt. He seems to use EA a lot. For his trips, he runs his battery down then charges from low and stops at the 2nd taper, once the car hits about ~24 to 27 kW. I'm guessing it's to reduce the amount of time overhead to divert to charge, start a session then resume driving. I'm pretty sure his effective price was still under 31 cents/kWh previously.

If he'd cut it off at the 1st taper (from ~55 kW to 37 kW), his price would've also been effectively 18 cents/kWh on Pass+, just like my intended use case.

BTW, assuming that the 1st gen Ioniq Electric didn't get screwed like the Kona Electric (https://insideevs.com/news/404273/electrify-america-hyundai-select-plan-konaev/) and reported below 75 kW max charge rate to EA's chargers, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb3gJ8fWW5g, a driver of one of those would also be really screwed by EA's new pricing. The car is pulling over 50 kW up until 80%. Until about 75% it's at 68+ kW.

844 CLEVELAND AVENUE
East Point, GA 30344

3101 UNIVERSITY AVE
San Diego, CA 92104

1011 US Hwy 72 E
Athens, AL 35611

7000 ARUNDEL MILLS CIRCLE
Hanover, MD 21076

FWIW, Texas and New Mexico per https://www.electrifyamerica.com/pricing/ has it really good at both Pass and Pass+ pricing. 1 - 90 kW rate are 16 cents/minute (Pass) or 12 cents/minute (Pass+). Even the 1st option is better than what Pass+ was in CA before.

States like OR and WA are getting reamed as badly as CA though. WA and OR are the land of normally cheap electricity...

FWIW, I'm not the only one griping about the high per kWh price. I see some like starting at https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/ea-adopts-per-kwh-pricing.36195/#post-557676. Haven't had time to read the thread carefully or respond yet.

Back