The 62kWh Battery Topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was getting some free evgo chademo power today. When I unplugged the charger said I was at 76%. But when I rebooted the car, it popped to 83%. Not too big of a deal, and I have seen it alter by a percent before but not 7%.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I was getting some free evgo chademo power today. When I unplugged the charger said I was at 76%. But when I rebooted the car, it popped to 83%. Not too big of a deal, and I have seen it alter by a percent before but not 7%.

:shock:

lorenfb said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
I found that picture amazing. So the repeated heating cycles caused the battery pounches to pop and bend?

Were the cabs using DC charging almost exclusively?

Excessive heat!

Yes, you both are right. Even though these vehicles are in a mild temperature zone, the battery is so well insulated that it can't shed the heat after being DC charged all day long. Once the modules expand enough, it will alter the resistance, and start to throw insulation resistance fault codes. Still very safe to the driver, true testament how well LMNO2 cells are when it comes to safety.

A slightly off-topic question, but important that I get an answer ASAP: does the Leaf Plus accelerate about the same in Eco mode as the 40kwh Leaf? I read that the full 214 HP is only available with Eco off, and I'm wondering if a friend would be intimidated by the Plus in Eco mode if she is ok with the 40kwh Leaf in Eco.

LeftieBiker said:
A slightly off-topic question, but important that I get an answer ASAP: does the Leaf Plus accelerate about the same in Eco mode as the 40kwh Leaf? I read that the full 214 HP is only available with Eco off, and I'm wondering if a friend would be intimidated by the Plus in Eco mode if she is ok with the 40kwh Leaf in Eco.

I can't exactly answer the question because I have not driven a 40KW Leaf, but the Plus in Eco really moves out of its own way very well. You (or housemate, as the case may be) will not be disappointed. My daughter has a plug-in Prius and the Leaf accelerates much faster. and of course max torque at all RPMs so no "hunting" for correct gear either. As far as range anxiety, the Leaf Plus still has limits but they are MUCH different than our older Leaf- unless we are travelling somewhere we essentially never think about battery status- plug it in at night with a simple mechanical timer so the charge never goes above about 80% and most nights no need to charge at all. Hope this helps!

LeftieBiker said:

Yes, it does "seem" snappier to the point that I am having a problem deciding whether or not the LEAF is slower off the line than the Bolt. The reality is we then come to a limitation of tires in my case with the S. TBH; the LEAF has a ton of power in Eco B so not sure why anyone would need more than that in day to day driving.

DaveinOlyWA said:
LeftieBiker said:

Yes, it does "seem" snappier to the point that I am having a problem deciding whether or not the LEAF is slower off the line than the Bolt. The reality is we then come to a limitation of tires in my case with the S. TBH; the LEAF has a ton of power in Eco B so not sure why anyone would need more than that in day to day driving.

Agreed that even in Eco B mode, on the S Plus, the tires are the traction limiting factor, Leaf easily spins them under full throttle, which gets us up to thruway speeds plenty quickly....

dmacarthur said:
LeftieBiker said:

I can't exactly answer the question because I have not driven a 40KW Leaf, but the Plus in Eco really moves out of its own way very well. You (or housemate, as the case may be) will not be disappointed. My daughter has a plug-in Prius and the Leaf accelerates much faster. and of course max torque at all RPMs so no "hunting" for correct gear either. As far as range anxiety, the Leaf Plus still has limits but they are MUCH different than our older Leaf- unless we are travelling somewhere we essentially never think about battery status- plug it in at night with a simple mechanical timer so the charge never goes above about 80% and most nights no need to charge at all. Hope this helps!

Your "no need to charge at all" statement implies that you are charging to a level higher than you really need. I guess I am in a somewhat unique position in that my driving needs falls into two categories; work days (10 hours so little time to do much and nearly NO inclination to do anything) and non work days.

Work days; Since the move, the route is no longer a slam dunk so I usually take the quickest way which means backtracking to the freeway entrance so distance RT 27ish miles. Since the move (almost one month) the max driven has been 35 miles. So 4 days a week, I can set a clock on my driving needs. It is that predictable. SOC range as high as 73% (plugged into Volta while at movie) but normally around 25 to 50%.

Weekends; No real discernible pattern. Can be 10 to 150 miles so I could see charging to a higher level on weekends JIC but not any other time.

As far as the LEAF being faster than a Prius? OMG, even the 24 kwh version would blow the Prius off the line at half throttle!

LeftieBiker said:
The go pedal is not all or none. The driver is allowed to press down part way

DaveinOlyWA said:
Your "no need to charge at all" statement implies that you are charging to a level higher than you really need.
Meh.

He plugs in when the SoC reaches a low level and charges up to 80%.

Perfect

LeftieBiker said:
I never use ECO so I had to try it before replying this morning. You can get the full 160 kW (214 HP) in ECO by holding the accelerator pedal to the floor, but it is less aggressive than I remember from my previous cars. It seemed to me that the 24 kWh cars would give full acceleration in ECO if the pedal was depressed far enough, but the 62 kWh version comes on less aggressively so I think your friend would not be intimidated. I had to hold the accelerator to the floor for several seconds before the motor power reached 160 kW in ECO. Power definitely ramps up faster if ECO is not used.

Thanks. We're seeing a few 62kwh Leafs with the $12k factory incentives to lease applied. We can lease one for $200 a month IF they give her $9k for her PIP. She is on the fence, so it will probably not happen. I just wanted to give her the info.

GerryAZ said:
LeftieBiker said:
I never use ECO so I had to try it before replying this morning. You can get the full 160 kW (214 HP) in ECO by holding the accelerator pedal to the floor, but it is less aggressive than I remember from my previous cars. It seemed to me that the 24 kWh cars would give full acceleration in ECO if the pedal was depressed far enough, but the 62 kWh version comes on less aggressively so I think your friend would not be intimidated. I had to hold the accelerator to the floor for several seconds before the motor power reached 160 kW in ECO. Power definitely ramps up faster if ECO is not used.

You still get full power but the ramp up (no, its not instantaneous) is a bit milder. I just went out and tried mine and D mode only is a bit scary! In B Eco, you still pretty fast but the launch off the line is milder.

I'm talking about using Eco mode (no B mode) for all driving. Will the car drive more or less like a 40kwh Leaf in Eco mode or is it 'peppier'? She doesn't like Peppy cars - she drives a Prius and likes it.

LeftieBiker said:
I'm talking about using Eco mode (no B mode) for all driving. Will the car drive more or less like a 40kwh Leaf in Eco mode or is it 'peppier'? She doesn't like Peppy cars - she drives a Prius and likes it.

ohhh, yeah it drives normally for the most part. The regen level is a bit stronger but not significantly so.

DaveinOlyWA said:
LeftieBiker said:

ohhh, yeah it drives normally for the most part. The regen level is a bit stronger but not significantly so.

Thanks. She is pulling her usual Hamlet act, though, and likely won't do anything about the PIP.

ECO definitely makes the car less aggressive, but you can eventually get all 160 kW if you hold the accelerator to the floor long enough. I have driven a 2007 Prius a few times. If she likes the Prius, I think she would be OK with a Leaf Plus in ECO mode. I noticed mine stayed in ECO when I turned it off and back on so you don't need to remember to engage ECO every time if you want that default. I have not tried Pro Pilot in ECO mode, but it can be quite aggressive in D mode either braking or accelerating.

Thanks. I understand about getting full power at full throttle in Eco - that seems to be a safety feature for most or all EVs. She never, never floors it, believe me. She drives a Gen III Prius PHEV. I just didn't want to worry about it 'biting' her in normal, slow driving. All Leafs retain Eco mode when turned off, BTW.

My wife, who also drives slowly and carefully, never has issues with the Leaf Plus. It CAN zoom but only if pushed. I do not understand why e-pedal does NOT default stay on but has to be re-engaged each time the car turns on, whereas Eco mode will stay on unless turned off.....

dmacarthur said:
My wife, who also drives slowly and carefully, never has issues with the Leaf Plus. It CAN zoom but only if pushed. I do not understand why e-pedal does NOT default stay on but has to be re-engaged each time the car turns on, whereas Eco mode will stay on unless turned off.....

you can set e-pedal to default on....I did on mine...check your manual...it's an option in the menu.

Back