The 62kWh Battery Topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
I tried to post that this morning, but the site froze on me. I don't remember where in the menu it is either, but it is there.

Same here. Also had issues checking road conditions so rebooted modem and computer thinking that was the problem. Didn't fix either.

LeftieBiker said:
Thanks. We're seeing a few 62kwh Leafs with the $12k factory incentives to lease applied. We can lease one for $200 a month IF they give her $9k for her PIP. She is on the fence, so it will probably not happen. I just wanted to give her the info.

Is she in NY as well? There's a rebate of at least $3500 on the Prius Prime. Some states in the NE has $4,500. Is the NY rebate applies to PHEV as well? Tax credit of $4502 on the Prius Prime.

Triggerhappy007 said:
LeftieBiker said:
Thanks. We're seeing a few 62kwh Leafs with the $12k factory incentives to lease applied. We can lease one for $200 a month IF they give her $9k for her PIP. She is on the fence, so it will probably not happen. I just wanted to give her the info.

Is she in NY as well? There's a rebate of at least $3500 on the Prius Prime. Some states in the NE has $4,500. Is the NY rebate applies to PHEV as well? Tax credit of $4502 on the Prius Prime.

She already has the Prime I think. Just looking for comparisons on the driving experience between the two cars.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Triggerhappy007 said:
LeftieBiker said:

She already has the Prime I think. Just looking for comparisons on the driving experience between the two cars.
No, she had the PIP - Plug In Prius, the predecessor to the Prius Prime. The PIP had a lousy 11 mile range. The Prius Prime isn't much better at 25 miles. I had a Prime before my Leaf.

The Prime is a different beast indeed. Better range and features (heat pump! I requested that for years. You're welcome), but worse driving position relative to the road, and a more cramped cargo area. I think it also has a liftover lip back there. The Leaf is well suited to her driving habits, so she will likely get the Prime, if she does anything at all.

I am becoming more convinced that the Leaf is staying in the Nissan lineup for at least a few more years. They are continuing to expand markets for the car (Phillipines in 2021, Leaf Plus in Australia in 21) which doesn't seem like what you would do with an end of life car. While too late for us in this round of car buying, it would be very competively helpful if they added thermal mgmt. to the car for 21, even if just forced air cooled like Lexus.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thedriven.io/2020/09/21/nissan-to-bring-62kwh-leaf-e-electric-car-to-australia-in-2021/amp/

I also saw Germany sold over 300 Leafs last month for the first time in almost 2 years (likely due to super cheap leases).

Triggerhappy007 said:
The Prius Prime isn't much better at 25 miles.
It is vastly better, but Merkins cannot figure out basic arithmetic. It goes like this

Average 40 miles a day commute, of which 25 are electric
The remaining 15 miles are hybrid at ~ 55 mpg

That works out to a 0.25 gallon of petrol a day to commute in a Prius Prime
Vs
0.72 gallons in a Prius HEV
Vs
~ 1.5 gallons a day in garden variety average ICE

As I've mentioned before, the Prime, like the PIP before it, does an excellent job of functioning as a high-MPG hybrid when the charge is depleted, unlike the higher AER Volt and Outlander (does the Outlander have a higher AER?). That makes it a more economical car for trips of more than 90 miles or so.

Triggerhappy007 said:
SageBrush said:
Triggerhappy007 said:
The Prius Prime isn't much better at 25 miles.
It is vastly better, but Merkins cannot figure out basic arithmetic.

I mean compared to competitors in 2016-2017. The Volt had 53 miles EV and Clarity had 47 miles EV.

Clarity is a compliance car and the Volt is dead. Part of the reason is that those large batteries along with an ICE make for too expensive a car (clarity) or too small a cabin and too expensive (Volt)

But to the point, the Prius Prime consumes ~ 160 mpg over the average 40 mile commute. The marginal reduction in fossil fuel use from adding more battery is small by the time the Prime range is exceeded. Going back to that pesky arithmetic:

ICE over 40 miles @ 25 mpg: 1.6 gallons
Prime over 40 miles: 0.25 gallons, 1.35 gallons saved
50 mile PHEV: 0 gallons, 0.25 more gallons saved

Prime has saved 1.35/1.6 = 85% of the ICE consumption using half the battery. As an optimization question balancing price, utility and fossil use reduction the Prius Prime nails it.

I think the Outlander only made sence if your usually daily drive was under 20 miles, and wanted/needed 4WD with the occasional longer trip (at a horrendous mpg). 7 years ago, there were not too many plug in/EV choices that gave you 4WD and electric propulsion for under 40K USD. The sad part is that they never really evolved the car, and could have really done wonders for the Mitsubishi brand if they ran with their market leadership in the space. Heck, it still sells in pretty large numbers in Europe, though now has many competitors with more range and better efficiency.

Part of the reason is that those large batteries along with an ICE make for too expensive a car (clarity) or too small a cabin and too expensive (Volt)

The Volt's cabin isn't cramped because of the batteries. It's cramped because the original Volt show car was a Camaro show car with a golfcart drivetrain, and some idiot at GM decided they wanted to keep the 'stepped on by Godzilla' look'. Had they made the Volt a CUV it would have been a runaway success.

LeftieBiker said:
Had they made the Volt a CUV it would have been a runaway success.
Uh huh

Hurry up and submit your resume for CEO. Mary is wed to NKLA so you may actually be an improvement.

Interesting, this video shows that the m3 has a somewhat similar reserve to the Leaf, though i think it was adopted later. It also has a kind of turtlish message warning of battery damage.

https://youtu.be/QFj6OtTlAkw

DougWantsALeaf said:
I am becoming more convinced that the Leaf is staying in the Nissan lineup for at least a few more years. They are continuing to expand markets for the car (Phillipines in 2021, Leaf Plus in Australia in 21) which doesn't seem like what you would do with an end of life car. While too late for us in this round of car buying, it would be very competively helpful if they added thermal mgmt. to the car for 21, even if just forced air cooled like Lexus.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thedriven.io/2020/09/21/nissan-to-bring-62kwh-leaf-e-electric-car-to-australia-in-2021/amp/

I also saw Germany sold over 300 Leafs last month for the first time in almost 2 years (likely due to super cheap leases).

Why did you think otherwise? The Ariya is a completely different vehicle class.

Back