Electrify America Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. I "saw" a Bolt exceeding the plate specs on EVgo nearly 3 years ago. Was pulling 136 amps on a station I had never seen more than 122 amps from. The strange thing is that even my Plus won't pull more than 122 amps from the same station. Possible the station was "adjusted" but that seems a bit unlikely.

GRA said:
but will definitely increase the competitiveness of the ID.4, especially since VW claimed that max. charge rate is 125kW.
125 kW, competitive ?

Oh wait, you are comparing to a LEAF

SageBrush said:
GRA said:
but will definitely increase the competitiveness of the ID.4, especially since VW claimed that max. charge rate is 125kW.
125 kW, competitive ?

Oh wait, you are comparing to a LEAF
HyunKia's higher powered offerings do about 70ish kW at max.

Gen 2 Ioniq took a step back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsWq_YrbDhs. He peaks at 46 or 47 kW.

I made some observations about Clarity BEV DC FCing at https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=590125#p590125. I don't know what they peak at. But, it's kinda moot since the Clarity BEV is dead for the US now.

Bolt maxes out at 55 kW.

Checked out two different EVgo "50 kW" QC sites by bike today to compare to the supposed "100 kW" site, and aside from having ABB instead of BTC chargers they should deliver the same rate to a ~400V pack, as the output side is 50-500VDC, 125A.
Input was 480Y/277, 75A AC.

GRA said:
Checked out two different EVgo "50 kW" QC sites by bike today to compare to the supposed "100 kW" site, and aside from having ABB instead of BTC chargers they should deliver the same rate to a ~400V pack, as the output side is 50-500VDC, 125A.
Perhaps there is also some potential sharing

SageBrush said:
GRA said:
Perhaps there is also some potential sharing

Wouldn't explain how a charger limited to 125A could charge a ~400V pack at over 50kW. 500V x 125A is 62.5kW, and 550V x 125A is 68.75kW, but a ~400V pack can't get to either maximum. So either the chargers can exceed their rated amps, or the kW rates displayed are erroneous.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I just checked our local EA station in Lincolnwood and sadly the Chademo is still throttled to 50.

Same here. Lacey was 121 amps, Olympia 123. FYI; in my experimentation, I have received 3.7 kwh of power at zero cost. Apparently there is an automated system process that zero's the bill if the duration is short. Not sure how short but did do a 1:38 session getting 1.1 kwh to check on whether it was based on whole kwh pricing.

This make sense since EA's early days were filled with constant computer/station faults. I know one guy who started a session on his phone, the station never initialized (or only ran a few seconds before stopping) but the phone kept going billing him the per minute rate forcing him to power cycle the phone, reload the app to stop the charge. Of course he didn't have to pay for nothing but did have to call in to get the charge wiped. He also got free credits for future charges. That doesn't seem to happen very often any more but the current situation makes sense. Give away the 5 cents in electricity (WA State rates) over the much higher cost of handling customer service inquiries.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I charged for just over a minute, recieved 1 KW and was charged .43 . I am fine supporting them a bit, as they are the only Chademos in some areas of the country.

Well my question is are they prorating the kwh charge?

0- .99 kwh; 0
1.00-1.99 kwh; 43 cents, etc?

If that is the case, LEAF Spy would likely advise you if you actually received more than 1 kwh?

DougWantsALeaf said:
That was the interesting part. Before EA would show power charged in tenths of a kWh. Now its rounded to the whole kWh.

That implies whole kwh billing then. Billing app not sophisticated enough to pro rate i guess. More for us I guess ;)

GetOffYourGas said:
cwerdna said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
I charged for just over a minute, recieved 1 KW and was charged .43 . I am fine supporting them a bit, as they are the only Chademos in some areas of the country.
You mean 1 kWh?

I would hope so. 1kW for 1 minute is 17Wh. For $0.43, that's a terrible deal.

Or.... how most other companies bill for services.

danrjones said:
GRA said:
I figure I-40 needs the following: Ludlow and Needles, or Fenner (or Ludlow and Fenner), plus Kingman (got to provide access to the Vegas people) and Ash Fork, Seligman or Williams.

Those locations sound about right. I sent my blurb into EA.

<Snip>

Dan, Plugshare (with a photo dated 9/11) and EA are showing a 3/1/0 EA site under construction in Essex/Fenner, CA on I-40. Maybe our lobbying paid off, or they were doing it anyway.

I'll definitely pull up PlugShare in a bit and check that out. Interestingly the tesla charger in Kingman is one of the most hated. So I hear anyway.

Thank you!

Back