How does the car communicate with Nissan Connect?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeedo65

Hi

I just ordered a new Nissan leaf for delivery in January 2021. The car will be built in UK and will be delivered in Scandinavia. For this cold climate here, it will be very good if the heater would run before I go to the car. So, I am wondering, how does the nissan connect communicate with my phone application? Does it use wifi, or does the car has a 2G/3G/4G simcard which communicates with the Nissan servers and later with my phone application? So, basically, what is the method of communication for the car?

I hope it is not through wifi, because if it is wifi, my car will not be able to communicate with my home wifi.

Cheers

Zeedo

zeedo65 said:
Hi

I just ordered a new Nissan leaf for delivery in January 2021. The car will be built in UK and will be delivered in Scandinavia. For this cold climate here, it will be very good if the heater would run before I go to the car. So, I am wondering, how does the nissan connect communicate with my phone application? Does it use wifi, or does the car has a 2G/3G/4G simcard which communicates with the Nissan servers and later with my phone application? So, basically, what is the method of communication for the car?

I hope it is not through wifi, because if it is wifi, my car will not be able to communicate with my home wifi.

Cheers

Zeedo

Congrats on joining the EV community!
The communication path with your Leaf is simple (in concept): car (via 3G modem) -> Nissan server (doesn't matter where it's located) -> end-user device (whether it's a PC on public internet or phone on service provider's network)...and back.
Nowhere does the vehicle connect via WiFi (can't maintain security).
I recommend reading one of the many threads on this forum about "CarWings/EVConnect" or "TCU upgrade"; that should keep you busy for days ;)

Just as you know, Leafs from ca. mid-2019 can connect through WiFi, but that is to update the navigation maps. There will be a symbol for WiFi in the infotainment system, I am just mentioning this so you don't start to wonder when you get the car.

Pre-heating will be done through the app and runs on a mobile connection like Stanton explained.

Back