Post Your Order Details Here

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It gets applied to the lease in some form or other. I think the total contribution from Nissan is $10k. To be honest, I haven't been focusing on this, because until she agreed last night, I wasn't expecting her to go for the deal. I'll try to get a breakdown from the sales guy.

LeftieBiker said:
It gets applied to the lease in some form or other. I think the total contribution from Nissan is $10k. To be honest, I haven't been focusing on this, because until she agreed last night, I wasn't expecting her to go for the deal. I'll try to get a breakdown from the sales guy.

Break down would be a bit of surprise.

TLDR; "We can make it work one way or the other"

Details;
Mine was always listed as part of cash down as part of the cap reduction. The lease is confusing as even "zero down" is actually not zero down since first payment is due at signing along with random fees, but they just adjust the monthlies to make it zero down.

On my current lease;

Amount due at signing; $10,500
Cap reduction; 9484.38
Negotiated price discount; $4014. not listed but taken from sticker ($38,818) and "agreed" upon price of $34,400 plus fees, delivery to get Gross capitalized cost.

So we end up with Adjusted Capitalized cost (What you pay if you finish the lease and purchase car minus fees, taxes, etc.) 25,965.62

If I had paid off car before first lease payment was due, cost would have been $25,981.47 plus a partial tax on portion not covered by WA State.

So overall; a $14.5ish k reduction (remember delivery charges) Now before we think the above is straightforward, before that math could be done, my dealer paid off my existing lease (16 remaining payments) and bought the car which probably cost me something but maybe not. there is a break even point on a lease due to high incentives but don't know when that would have occured. I am guessing since I was on day one of month 21 (last payment was returned making 16 outstanding) I am thinking I was a bit underwater by then?

DougWantsALeaf said:
Congrats. Is it a 2019 or 2020?

2020. We could have gotten her a 2019 for a bit less, but it lacks Around View and is a color (Gun Metal Grey) that we find tolerable, but not pleasant. The 2020 is pretty much the car I would have been shopping for in a few months. As part of her getting this car, we are going to try going to just one car between us when I turn in my 2018 next April. I will also have my electric Maxi-Scooter.

Final payment figures (unless they try to lower the trade in value, in which case she will walk):

$273/month for 36 months
$4200 cash back ($300 of which will pay to have the Protection Package added.)
I still don't have the residual, but that's fixed by NMAC these days, so it should be around $18k.

I've become dependent on Around View, having used it for 7 years now. The range will mainly go to allowing her to keep it just over 50% charged, and still not have range anxiety. She's been saying for years "I just don't think that a BEV is practical in this kind of climate." It turns out that all she needed was a 200 mile range to dispel that idea.

LeftieBiker said:
I've become dependent on Around View, having used it for 7 years now. The range will mainly go to allowing her to keep it just over 50% charged, and still not have range anxiety. She's been saying for years "I just don't think that a BEV is practical in this kind of climate." It turns out that all she needed was a 200 mile range to dispel that idea.

The range makes all the difference in the World. Over 2½ years EV only with zero concerns but the kicker; even if I lose 1/3rd of my range, I am still fine.

The other idea behind getting a Plus is that she may decide to buy it off lease, and even with 32% capacity loss it would have at least as much range as my car did when new. Then if any more is lost, she gets a new battery.

I am now a believer that the psychology of having over 200 miles range makes all the difference. I was skeptical when media pundits put it out there a few years ago, but am now a believer. While we do have a monthly trip to see family which is just shy of a 200 mile trip, most of driving is local. I usually top it up to 70-80% when it gets into the 30s. Basically always at minimum a 100 miles on tap or more.

Sure 300 is better, but only incrementally so. Notice ID4 and others are only shooting for mid 200s. As long as DC fast charging is available, even at 50, most drivers will not really feel impacted if timed well with food and bathroom stops.

Anecdotally, I see new Chademos popping up on the map, so think we have a support for a number of years.

I have appreciated everyone's comments and advice in the past so I am looking for it again now. We are still enjoying our 2018 SL but starting to need a little more room for my family and friends. Our back seat is making it a little too snug for them. The Leaf is a wonderful little car, keyword being "little". Alas we may possibly be moving on to a Model Y. The trade in value is where my concern lies. Our leaf has been very sheltered (garage kept). We have leaf spy and our specs are posted and updated in my signature on a regular basis. Before we trade it in I just wanted to give the readers of this forum, which have been so good to us, first dibs. Your feedback on what you think it should be worth and how to proceed will be appreciated. After I get your feedback I will list in the for sale portion of the forum. Our new car will take 2-6 weeks for delivery. I think that is enough time to float in our forum prior to trade.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla offered $13k. Check Carvana and vroom for their prices as well. I sold a car to Carvana and it was an easy process.

Leaf trade in value dropped like a rock this year. KBB trade in value is about $14.5k and private party about $17.5k. Good luck with the sale.

LeftieBiker said:
Ironically, trade-in allowances to GET a Leaf can be generous. I negotiated $9k for a 2013 PIP with a sick motor, and they then added $1k on to that a few days later.

Prices seem to be all over the place. 2 months ago when our 2019 SL Plus was totaled KBB showed private party value of ~$25000 and trade in value of ~$22,000. State Farm surprised us and came up with Actual Cash value of $31,500. After subtracting $1000 for collision deductible and adding sales taxes they wrote us a check for $31,614. I was only expecting about $26,000.

We bought a 2020 SL Plus as a replacement for $38,200 out the door. A few weeks later the dealer sent us a refund check for $112.35 for overpayment for tag fees so the real cost was $38,087. We qualify for and will be filing for the federal tax credit of $7,500 so the net cost is $30,587. So we ended up with a one year newer model year SL Plus and $1,026 in our pocket.

Here’s the worksheet for the 2020 SL Plus. Our 2019 had no lien and the 2020 was a cash deal, no financing.

R41sXkNl.jpg

jusgetalong said:
I have appreciated everyone's comments and advice in the past so I am looking for it again now. We are still enjoying our 2018 SL but starting to need a little more room for my family and friends. Our back seat is making it a little too snug for them. The Leaf is a wonderful little car, keyword being "little". Alas we may possibly be moving on to a Model Y. The trade in value is where my concern lies. Our leaf has been very sheltered (garage kept). We have leaf spy and our specs are posted and updated in my signature on a regular basis. Before we trade it in I just wanted to give the readers of this forum, which have been so good to us, first dibs. Your feedback on what you think it should be worth and how to proceed will be appreciated. After I get your feedback I will list in the for sale portion of the forum. Our new car will take 2-6 weeks for delivery. I think that is enough time to float in our forum prior to trade.

If you've been taking care of it, and can't keep it, is there a family member that you can discount/sell it to? Leaf depreciation makes it a bargain to own, but terrible to sell.

By the way, you'll love the Y. But it is a larger vehicle, and sometimes having the little leaf for neighborhood errands is just nicer.

Plus, if you have teenagers, giving them access to a leaf is much safer - for your wallet.

It's just me and the wife. Our grandson is ten so giving to him is not happening. We thought about it last year and here is what they offered us last year. We were looking at the S and the 3 is almost as small as our leaf. So when they introduced the Model Y well I guess we intend to pull the trigger on it. WE want the double pane glass and they Y they sent home with US for the overnight only had single pane. So this morning we will be going to test drive a 3 with the double pane to compare the S/N.

Logo
Your Trade-In Estimate
Apply it to your Tesla order within the next 30 days.
2018 Nissan LEAF
SL Hatchback 4D
14,000 miles
Net trade-in credit*
$18,100
Estimate valid until
September 10, 2020

As soon as I finish my coffee, I will run leafspy on it and update my profile. I have gotta hand it to yall. I wish that when yall advised me to get it when I first bought the Leaf I would not have suffered those VSP noises. Does Leafspy work on Tesla's :roll:

Hmmm noticed something interesting when I was updating my profile. The SOH went up according to Leaf Spy. Not by much, but it did go up. It has been kinda cold and I did one QC just to see how to use the equipment. They gave us a Tesla to keep overnight to see how we liked it and to see if it would fit in our garage. Had to adjust the trunk lid so that it did now hit the garage door opener and the current draw to match the Nissan Charger. So far so good. I sure am gonna hate leaving this forum. Yall mind if I just lurk now and then?

jusgetalong said:
It's just me and the wife. Our grandson is ten so giving to him is not happening. We thought about it last year and here is what they offered us last year. We were looking at the S and the 3 is almost as small as our leaf.

Having both vehicles, I'm having trouble reconciling this statement with your expectations. The leaf is shorter than the 3 (by almost a foot). It rides taller and is a hatchback, so bulky items are easier to get into the leaf, but the 3 has significantly more trunk space. But anyway, that's last year.

If passing the leaf to a progeny isn't an option, then I'd suggest checking with carvana and/or carmax to get competitive offers. After all, you don't have to sell it to Tesla, and I know carmax's written offers are good for 5-days.

Back