2016-2017 model year 30 kWh bar losers and capacity losses

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
awhile said:
ac19 said:
After losing the fourth bar, what kind of tests does the dealership on the battery to check if it is eligible to be replaced or not? Thanks.

Here are snippets of text messages I received from dealership:

we performed the battery usage report, you are eligible for a battery replacement.

The dealership first checked it out and said it looks like it's eligible. Perhaps they ran the Annual EV Battery Usage report. BTW I had that run in November 2019.

Then dealership said they needed to have a "certified Leaf technician" look at it to confirm.

Then later the same day:
Good news! After our diagnostic, we did not find anything else wrong with the vehicle that caused the battery to fail. We sent in our findings with Nissan and the battery has been approved to be replaced under warranty.

I assume the second snippet is result from certified Leaf technician.

Thanks! Probably they connect the car to CONSULT+ and perform the battery usage report.
However, and because the car stay in dealership several days they could perform also voltage tests on the cells!? 🤔

Alright. Short time follower, first time poster here. I’m looking to buy a used 2016 SL, Pacific Northwest driven as far as i can tell (will check).

What is the consensus on 2016’s 30kW battery? 189 pages of thread is a lot to catch up on. If this is already addressed somewhere feel free to punt me back to the shallow end of the New Users pool.

Thanks

De nada. There may be a slightly higher incidence of bad cells in the 2016 packs compared to the 2017s, but they are the same otherwise. You can see bad cells with LeafSpy Pro, an app that requires a Bluetooth dongle like the one in my signature, and a compatible smart phone or tablet.

northman said:
Alright. Short time follower, first time poster here. I’m looking to buy a used 2016 SL, Pacific Northwest driven as far as i can tell (will check).

What is the consensus on 2016’s 30kW battery? 189 pages of thread is a lot to catch up on. If this is already addressed somewhere feel free to punt me back to the shallow end of the New Users pool.

Thanks

Our 2016 Leaf SL dropped the 4th bar at 40 months and 24K miles which was 5 weeks after we purchased it. In 8 months and 11K miles the new 40 kWa State Of Health (SOH) is down by 3.58%. It should be a few years before our range is back down to 60 miles on a full charge.

Good day all.

Frequent reader. First time poster. I've been reading up on bar loses and warranty claims for the last few months. Since it seems like my 2017 Leaf SV is on that path I figured I'd throw in what I'm seeing after just about 10 months of ownership.

First off, I have to say I love this car. It's been a joy to drive. Really worrying about range is the only issue I've had. Which isn't really an issue. It's more a state of mind. Though I guess if it keeps on the path it's going it may become more of an issue as time goes on. I bought the car back in January. I was going to paste an image of the Leap Spy reading the day before I took ownership. But I can't figure out how to add an image.

In any case the guy I bought the car from had 38,872 miles on it with an SOH of 85.27. AHr = 67.77, Hx = 63.70%. As of yesterday I am at 44,444 miles. So just over 5500 miles in 10 months. I don't drive long distances in general. This is more of a commuter car. Going to and from work. We have a Chrysler Town and Country as our family car. I'm hoping to trade that in for the Pacifica Hybrid at some point. Unless someone else comes out with another plug-in or full EV minivan before that. Though it seems doubtful.

Anyway, Covid has made my driving even less. I'm only going into the office about two times a week. We have a free level two charger at the building I work at, which is great. So that's pretty much where I do all my charging. My SOH is down to 79.52%. AHr = 63.20, Hx 54.27%. I'm down one bar. I'm guessing bar number two should be dropping any day now. In the time I've had it I've only charged the car 164 times on L1/L2 and 9 QCs. Last week I wanted to see how far I could get without charging. I made it about 5 days. I was down to 9% on the dash, my Leafspy said 19 GIDs remaining, 5.2% with a 14.8% SOC. I had driven 88 miles. I think the most I ever made it was I did about 103 miles shortly after I bought the car. I do charge to 100% when I charge. If I charged to 80% as some people say you should, I'd need to charge everyday. I figure charging to 100% but doing it every few days is better than charging to 80% and charging every day. But I'm no scientist so maybe I'm wrong.

Now I'm at the point, do I try and conserve the battery as best as possible? I don't want to be hoping for a warranty claim and then not make it. Then I'm stuck with a car that goes 50 miles on a full charge. Or do I just let it ride and hope to get that new battery from Nissan? At the rate it's going now you would think I get to 4 lost bars in the next 5 years. I mean I've already lost almost 6% SOH in 10 months only driving the car 5500 miles.

Oh, and I live in Northern Utah. I wouldn't say it's a mild climate here. We can get into the triple digits in the summer. Though nothing like Arizona. But it is a good two months of high 90s. And the winters do get cold but not mid west cold. I'd say December and January are the two months that get the coldest. But other than that it is a fairly mild climate. Also, the parking lot at my work is covered but I can't park it in my garage right now so it has to be parked outside in my driveway. I know I've read that keeping it in the garage is the best thing for the battery. Though I wouldn't think that would be a factor in the 6% SOH lose.

Are you aware of the 'firmware update' that is available on the 30kWh Leafs? Call a dealer with your VIN to see if that has been done. If not, get it done since it will be required anyway before Nissan honors any warranty claim and it is free.

Personally, I think you have a good chance of getting a new warranty pack but check on the firmware update first. The biggest IF could be Nissan's financial state in a few years.

Does the real world range match the reported SOH? I get over a mile of range per each % of charge as long as it's dry, I'm not using heat and I'm going < 60mph. Just a reference point for comparison.

Thanks goldbrick. I can't say for certain the firmware update has been preformed. I'm going to be taking it to the dealer for the 45,000 mile checkup shortly, so I will ask. I want to say it has because the real world comparison is pretty close to what the car's dash and Leafspy tell me. I mean I don't generally let it go under 30% very often, I probably charge at around 50% most of the time.

The only time I ever let the charge get down under 10% is if I'm trying one of my little tests to see how far I can take it. Which I do ever few months. Probably out of boredom. And because I enjoy driving the car. I could probably push it past 100 miles on a charge if I didn't use the freeway as much and didn't use the heat or AC as much. But I figure I want to drive the car as I would any other car so I'm not going to make myself hot and or cold just to inch out a few more miles. I lean more on the hot side as a person so I definitely use the AC in the summer more than the heat in the winter. Which is probably a good thing because the cold sure does zap that range quite a bit.

My buddy actually owns a 2017 Leaf S that he bought new and has half the miles mine does. He doesn't own Leafspy but I'll use mine on his car to give him a reading ever few months to compare. Last we checked his SOH was at 88%. Just the other day he said he waited to charge and he went under 15% and I think he said he had 113 miles on the dash. But as I said he has quite a bit less mileage on his then I do and he doesn't drive on the freeway as much as me. But still the range on his is decent amount better than mine.

goldbrick said:
Does the real world range match the reported SOH? I get over a mile of range per each % of charge as long as it's dry, I'm not using heat and I'm going < 60mph. Just a reference point for comparison.
This is a good, simple test for a LEAF that has about 28 kWh of usable capacity.
Unfortunately I don't think newbs would understand how to modify the test result for a degraded battery

awhile said:
awhile said:
My 2016 Leaf SV dropped from 9 to 8 bars last week. I plan to talk to dealership this week and will provide update on the outcome. 71k miles. I use Leaf Spy Pro.
Dealership checked out battery and confirmed battery due for replacement under warranty. Dealership has no ETA on when Nissan sends out my replacement battery.

My 2016 Leaf SV now has a new 40 kWh battery in it. The car was at dealership for one week - from initial diagnosis, to new battery replacement. I was given a loaner vehicle during that time. The only thing I paid for was tire rotation which was my choice.

Next step is to make sure LeafSpy Pro is configured correctly. I believe I need to manually set to 40 kWh battery (and possibly 2018 instead of 2016?) - so far it appears confused by showing SOC=125% and defaults to 60 kWh battery - not 30 or 40 kWh.

Car was returned to me with battery at 35.1 kWh according to LeafSpy Pro (vehicle dashboard said 92% battery); now at 30.4 kWh after driving 22 miles (vehicle dashboard says 80% battery).

From LeafSpy Pro - not yet confident these numbers are correct:
AHr = 115.27
SOH = 99.85%
Hx = 97.66%

awhile said:
awhile said:
awhile said:
My 2016 Leaf SV dropped from 9 to 8 bars last week. I plan to talk to dealership this week and will provide update on the outcome. 71k miles. I use Leaf Spy Pro.
Dealership checked out battery and confirmed battery due for replacement under warranty. Dealership has no ETA on when Nissan sends out my replacement battery.

My 2016 Leaf SV now has a new 40 kWh battery in it. The car was at dealership for one week - from initial diagnosis, to new battery replacement. I was given a loaner vehicle during that time. The only thing I paid for was tire rotation which was my choice.

Next step is to make sure LeafSpy Pro is configured correctly. I believe I need to manually set to 40 kWh battery (and possibly 2018 instead of 2016?) - so far it appears confused by showing SOC=125% and defaults to 60 kWh battery - not 30 or 40 kWh.

Car was returned to me with battery at 35.1 kWh according to LeafSpy Pro (vehicle dashboard said 92% battery); now at 30.4 kWh after driving 22 miles (vehicle dashboard says 80% battery).

AHr = 115.27
SOH = 99.85%
Hx = 97.66%

FIVE time LEAFer here and never manually set the battery size so if you do, let us know.As far as LS readings, why would you doubt the readings? The app only parrots back what the car tells it.

DaveinOlyWA said:
FIVE time LEAFer here and never manually set the battery size so if you do, let us know.As far as LS readings, why would you doubt the readings? The app only parrots back what the car tells it.
He has a 40kWh battery in a 2016. LeafSpy is likely confused.

DaveinOlyWA said:

LeafSpy Pro says this
SOC = 125%
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nnWPQTBNKQ-vlps04sMhyTRU8xeStdRe/view?usp=sharing
I doubt that is correct.

Only after I manually update then I get something that looks reasonable. But I'll experiment and let you know. Perhaps I was early in manually overriding 2016 / 30 kWh battery setting. It might eventually figure it out. But I was not satisfied with believing any of the LS numbers when I saw SOC = 125%

Besides SOC=125% I had the following when I did not override the battery size in LS:

AHr = 111.41
Hx = 484.19%

That does not look valid.

awhile said:
Besides SOC=125% I had the following when I did not override the battery size in LS:

AHr = 111.41
Hx = 484.19%

That does not look valid.

Yeah, not a LEAF Spy issue. Its the BMS's inability to be promoted from the short bus.

awhile said:
awhile said:
awhile said:

AHr = 115.27
SOH = 99.85%
Hx = 97.66%

That is an awesome update.
Thanks

Back